April 2013 Moms

Tell me about your evenings & nights

Tell me about your evenings and nights.

Hi ladies - I am curious about what your evenings and nights look like.  My LO is 8 weeks old, and our evenings and nights are very inconsistent.    

?Bedtime? can range anywhere from 8pm to midnight, we don?t have a bedtime routine because I?m never really sure when bedtime will be, and when he does finally go to sleep for the night, we usually only get stretches of 2.5 to 3 hours of sleeping.

During the day he takes good naps (in his swing), and usually only goes about 1.5 to 2 hours of awake time before his next nap.  However, in the evening he will often go 4+ hours before finally going down for the night! 

I?m hoping I can help him fall into a better schedule at night, so am curious what has worked for others. 

Specifically, tell me about:

a) How old is your LO?

b) What time is bedtime and when did it develop?

c) How long is your LO awake before bedtime?

d) What is your bedtime routine?

e) How long is your LO sleeping at night?

f) Any other advice or suggestions!

Re: Tell me about your evenings & nights

• a) How old is your LO? 7 weeks

b) What time is bedtime and when did it develop? can vary from 7pm to 10pm depending on how long it takes him to go to sleep. He hates night time sleep for some reason. so we start bedtime around 8, and it can take an hour to 2 hours to finally get him sleeping. we start this once i've seen him yawn and slow his activities down a bit.

c) How long is your LO awake before bedtime? he can usually stay up for about 2-3 hours before he needs a nap again, so at bedtime, he's been awake for that long.

d) What is your bedtime routine? feed, burp, change diaper, change into light onesie, swaddle, turn on the sleep sheep, rock him to sleep in my arms, put in bassinette, make sure he's sleeping and walk away

e) How long is your LO sleeping at night? as of recently, he can sleep about 4-5 hours for the first stretch, then wake to eat, then sleep for another 2-3 hours.

f) Any other advice or suggestions! SWADDLE :) follow baby's sleep cues, try a bath beforehand if it calms him down. DS sleeps better if he's given a bubble bath with his bathtime instead of just in plain water while we wash him. it could be the scent? it's the Live Clean baby brand.

also make sure the room isn't too warm, and if LO has been crying hard before hand, make sure they arent sweaty. crying can really heat them up.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary

• a) How old is your LO?

11 weeks today

between 630 and 800. developed pretty early on, but not sure when. 

usually about 2 hours or so. 

eat, swaddle, white noise, dark room, pacifier. we lay down in bed. once asleep i move him to his pack n play.  

sleeps till 3-ish, we get a new diaper, eat then we go right back to sleep. about 20 mins of awake time. then he sleeps till about 630. this just started last week. before that we were up twice a night. 

Bradley Houston - 04.01.13
  • Loading the player...
  • A) My son is 11 weeks tomorrow.

B) Bedtime is around 10:30pm, my son developed it himself, I just go along with it.

C) My son is usually awake from 6:30 or 7pm before his bedtime at 10:30.

D) It starts from him waking up from his 6:30pm nap. I then nurse him, change him while his bottle is being warmed up. I then put him in his boppy which signals it is baba time (he squeals in delight when he gets put in the boppy). I then feed him 4oz of his cereal formula (Reflux).  After he eats that, he must sit upright for 30 minutes minimum, so I play hand games and read to him as well for those 30 minutes. Then it is tummy time. After he has had his share of that, I put him in his pack n' play with all his toys and he plays for about 15 minutes. When he starts fussing at his toys I take him out and we go outside with the dog so the dog can go to the bathroom. When we come back in it is time to eat again, so repeat the feeding/changing. Then I either lay him next to me and pat him asleep or rock him asleep. (Note that things change in our house a lot. This routine though is the most occurring scenario though. )

E) He sleeps from 10:30pm until 3 or 4am most nights, half awake for 5 minutes comfort nursing, then back asleep until 9am . Sometimes he will sleep from 10:30pm until 8am which he did last night.

F) I notice that the nights when he cluster feeds, he sleeps more during the night. I try not to make him hot, so I strip him down to his diaper and swaddle him in an aden + anais cloth.. but he sometimes gets sweaty from that too. When he is cool, he sleeps longer. When hot and sweaty, he wakes up more through the night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTanya0203:

a) How old is your LO?

2 months today 

we kind of play it by ear, but we usually start the routine between 7 and 8, and he is in the crib between 7:30 and 9. Before I went back to work when he was six weeks, I put him down around 10 pm, but it naturally moved up when I went back to work and we were all waking up earlier. I probably started the "routine" when he was three or four weeks old, although the time shifts.

some days he is alert for a couple hours in the evening, but sometimes he wakes from a nap fussy and is only awake for 15 minutes before we start bedtime. I never wake him from a nap unless it's been 3+ hours since he last ate.

I bring DS upstairs, take off his clothes, and change him.i then take him into our bedroom where itis quiet and dark, turn on his white noise machine, and feed him skin to skin on one side. Then I burp him, rub Burt's Bee's calming lotion on him, and put him in his pp's. then I feed him in the other side until he is dozing, burp him, and out him down in his crib with his white noise machine.

he generally gives us a 6-7 hour stretch, wakes up to eat, then sleeps for 2-3 more hours. 

don't worry about what time you are starting the routine, as it will change more than once! However, start doing some sort of routine now for the last feeding, regardless of the time. I think it's good for baby to learn to associate certain things with bedtime, even if that time is a little bit different each night. Good luck! 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • a How old is your LO? 11.5 weeks

b What time is bedtime and when did it develop? We start the bedtime routine at 830, he falls asleep anywhere between 930 and 11

c How long is your LO awake before bedtime? It depends on the night. Sometimes he takes a nap around 6, other nights he'll have been up since 430. It doesn't affect the routine or its timing. That's kind if the point of the routine, yo get him used to bedtime at the same time nightly.

d What is your bedtime routine? Bath, pajamas, book, nurse, sleep.

e How long is your LO sleeping at night? 7 to 8 hours

f Any other advice or suggestions! Just pick a time and go for it. You can always adjust it once you see how your LO reacts.
  • a) How old is your LO? 10 weeks

b) What time is bedtime and when did it develop? Around 8, whatever feeding takes place between 7:00 and 9:00.

c) How long is your LO awake before bedtime? He only takes a few shallow 30 min naps during the day so he is pretty much awake before bedtime.

d) What is your bedtime routine? Change diaper, change outfit, turn off all lights, quiet time, swaddle, feed, burp, paci, rock until spits out paci. Rock 15 min longer. Transfer to crib.

e) How long is your LO sleeping at night? He slept through the night first time last Friday. Sat night he only woke up once. Last night he woke up twice. I can usually always count on him being down from 8 to 12-2 and then down again until anywhere from 4-6 and sleepy again until 8-9.

f) Any other advice or suggestions! Just never stop trying. They will eventually get it.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageTanya0203:

a) How old is your LO?  8 weeks

b) What time is bedtime and when did it develop? 10ish is when it starts.  She's in bed around 10:30-11.  Around 4 weeks we noticed that once she went down at 11 she then got her longest period of sleep...which to start with was around 3.5 hours.

c) How long is your LO awake before bedtime? USUALLY she is awake from 5-7ish, then nurses around 7. and then sleeps for 30-40 minutes.   She then start to wake around 8:30ish so we will do tummy time, bath, or something to get her awake before her last week.

d) What is your bedtime routine? if it's bath night, bath.   Nurse one side as long as she wants (usually about 30 minutes), read a book and sing a song or two, change diaper, massage/lotion/swaddle, nurse second side with waterwall sound machine and rocking for 10 minutes.

e) How long is your LO sleeping at night?  ::knock on wood:: we've started to get 5.5 hours the last few nights and on fathers day we got a little over 6.  

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • a) How old is your LO? 11 weeks

b) What time is bedtime and when did it develop? 8:30 starting at about 9 weeks

c) How long is your LO awake before bedtime? Usually 2-2.5 hours

d) What is your bedtime routine? We start bath time around 7:45 (usually just water not soap so it doesn't dry his skin) and we play in the bath then do lotion/massage.  Then we are feeding no later than 8:15 (we do a bottle at this feeding but he's EBF every other feeding).  I feed him swaddled in his room while rocking him and with the white noise machine on.  He is usually barely awake by the time he finishes the bottle.

e) How long is your LO sleeping at night? when we started the routine DS would sleep until 3:30 and then would wake up every 3 hours from there.  Last week he dropped the 3:30 feeding and now sleeps until 5:30 and then goes back down until 8:30.  

f) Any other advice or suggestions  I recommend getting on a daytime schedule as well as a nighttime schedule.  I use the Moms on Call schedule.  I used it for DD and she was sttn by 8 weeks.  DS has been a little tougher but we were a little lax in getting him scheduled.  Once we started with the schedule during the day his nighttime sleep got a lot better.  I am hoping he'll switch to a 12 hour schedule soon.  DD is 3.5 and still sleeps 12 hours every night and takes a 2 hour nap each day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • a) How old is your LO?  8 weeks

b) What time is bedtime and when did it develop?  Roughly 11 p.m.  It's not by our choice but that is usually when she'll fall asleep and stay asleep for longer than an hour.  It varies depending on the day though, the earliest she's been in bed is 9:30. 

c) How long is your LO awake before bedtime?  Depends, usually an hour and a half to two hours.

d) What is your bedtime routine? Change DD into a sleeper and diaper change.  We read a book (or two depending on how awake DD is).  I feed her, and change the diaper again if needed.

e) How long is your LO sleeping at night?  We're starting to see more of the 3 to 3.5 stretches.

Don't try waking LO during a nap to hope they will be more tired at night.  This was suggested to us by a friend.  It caused DD to be over tired, and harder to put asleep.  Once we finally decided to give it up, it still took two more days to get her back a normal sleep pattern.  We've also found dimming or turning down the lights helps for DD to realize it's sleep time.   We do the entire routine in the dim light, including the feeding and rocking before she falls asleep.  Although we're not trying a definite sleep schedule, she seems to understand the dark means it's almost time for bed and starts to wind down.

• I Have one 2yo and two 10 week olds. with the first we developed a bedtime routine around 8 weeks old that involved bath, book, and bottle starting between 7 30 and 8. now, the bedtime routine is the same. the times are even the same. the twins however, get put down right after book, and bottle is whenever they are ready for the next one. might be 30 minutes later or two or three hours later. eating changes everyday. they also get baths along with the 2yo about every 2 to 3 days or so.

eta other advice, i wouldn't worry about awake time before bed. i would just pick a time to be bedtime and start doing the same thing every night starting at the same time. everything else will follow naturally once that gets established. because you have one, you could do the bottle before bed anyway. i do feeds differently with the girls because its important to keep them eating on the same schedule for us.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• imageTanya0203:

a) How old is your LO? 9 weeks 

b) What time is bedtime and when did it develop? Between 8 and 930.  It developed about 2 weeks ago.

c) How long is your LO awake before bedtime? 3 to 4 hours but some nights she may take a 15 to 30 minute cat nap within that time.

d) What is your bedtime routine? After 4 I nurse every hour to hour and a half. Between 6 and 7 I change her into her jammies and it's usually between 8 and 9 that I catch her yawning and I will then check her diaper and walk her around while bouncing her. I then put her in her crib with her mobile on that plays for 12 minutes and this glow toy she has. She fussed for a few minutes and before the mobile is done playing she falls asleep.

e) How long is your LO sleeping at night? 8 to 9 hours 

f) Any other advice or suggestions!  Follow sleep cues and put baby to bed awake.

• imageTanya0203:

a) How old is your LO? 9 weeks 

b) What time is bedtime and when did it develop? Between 8 and 930.  It developed about 2 weeks ago.

c) How long is your LO awake before bedtime? 3 to 4 hours but some nights she may take a 15 to 30 minute cat nap within that time.

d) What is your bedtime routine? After 4 I nurse every hour to hour and a half. Between 6 and 7 I change her into her jammies and it's usually between 8 and 9 that I catch her yawning and I will then check her diaper and walk her around while bouncing her. I then put her in her crib with her mobile on that plays for 12 minutes and this glow toy she has. She fussed for a few minutes and before the mobile is done playing she falls asleep.

e) How long is your LO sleeping at night? 8 to 9 hours 

f) Any other advice or suggestions!  Follow sleep cues and put baby to bed awake.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"