Baby Names

Nicknames for Annabelle

Hi everyone! So DH and I are team green and I'm about to give birth any day. For a girl we have pretty much been set on Annabelle the whole time. My question is, would you be likely to shorten this name to Bella? When I've told a couple people about Annabelle, they said "Aw cute, Bella for short" and I was just thinking "No...because her name wouldn't be Annabella." Just like I wouldn't give an Isabel the nickname Bella. Anyway, we prefer the nickname Annie, but do you think she'd be called Bella all the time? 

Re: Nicknames for Annabelle

• She'll probably be called whatever you introduce her as.   I doubt people will take it upon themselves to choose a different nickname for her.

• I don't think she would always be called Bella, you could do Anna, Belle, Elle instead. I agree with you, I don't care for Bella, sounds like a character from a movie to me and is way overdone, IMO.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagewhoopsybaby:
    She'll probably be called whatever you introduce her as.   I doubt people will take it upon themselves to choose a different nickname for her.

This.

And FWIW, I prefer it spelled Annabel.

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• imagewhoopsybaby:
    She'll probably be called whatever you introduce her as.   I doubt people will take it upon themselves to choose a different nickname for her.

This.

Anna, Ann, Anne, Annie, Nan, Nanna, Nancy, Belle, Bella are all traditional nn for Annabelle

If you introduce her as Annie, anybody that calls her anything else is being a weirdo and should be ignored.

• I agree with PPs that spelling it  Annabel is better. it could lessen the chances of her being called Bella. 
    Depends on the person. My best friend also used part of my name similar to Bella from Annabelle for my nn. People may call her Bella, but you can try insisting on Annie/Annabelle. :)
  • ZimgerZimger member

We would have called our Annabel "Annie".

There are a few nn that can come out of Annabel/Annabelle. I wouldn't worry about it. Just introduce her as Annabelle. If you have a nn and want people to know then let them know. Just realize that eventually she may choose her own nn and it may very well be Belle/Bella.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Annabelle was on our list and the nn would have likely been Annie.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • I like Annie better as well. I would just introduce her as that and people with catch on. It's probably because Bella is so common right now.
  • CoIvieCoIvie member
    I had a baby named AnnaBelle in my infant class. We called her Annie! So I agree with you
  • Annabelle is actually my top name choice for a girl. I think it's beautiful. I also prefer the nickname Annie. I just think its so cute for a little girl. 

I think that if you start calling her Annie, others will follow suit.

Congrats and good luck! 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • DD is Annabel, and she has not acquired a nn at all nor do we plan to use one.  Bella seems ok to me, but probably Anna or Belle would be a little more natural?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagewhoopsybaby:

Agree. I know a couple of little girls named Annabelle and they both go by Annabelle. No body shortens it or tried to change it. 

• I don't think you should worry about that. As PP's have said, whatever you introduce her as is the name she will likely be called.

FWIW, Annabel is at the top of our list for girls and the nn Bella never even occurred to me. Maybe it's because it's so overdone that it has been blocked from my brain completely.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our neighbor is Annabelle and she goes by Annie a lot :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Annabelle is our #1 choice right now for baby girl, also. We are planning on using Annie as a nn.
  • Thank you for all of the replies! I appreciate the feedback and I am feeling confident about our choice now. :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"