Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Help! Need to unswaddle - do I go to sleep suit or sleep sack?

DS is 5 months and 1 week and is waking up EARLY and pretty unhappy, I think b/c he cannot get to his hands (he is used to sucking and gnawing on them all day). I need to unswaddle but he can only roll back to front and gets super upset when stuck on his tummy which is what he will do as soon as he is unswaddled. Should I try sleep suit? Or go right to sleep sack? If sleep sack do I just let him roll over and then fuss/cry until he falls asleep on tummy?

Re: Help! Need to unswaddle - do I go to sleep suit or sleep sack?

• I think the suits are just another addiction to overcome, so I went right to a sleepsack.

Does he go down awake now?  It took a few nights of rocking to sleep to get her to sleep unswaddled.  Now this week I'm working on putting her down awake.  There was one night of bad crying but it's getting easier.  If he goes to his tummy on his own, let him.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We do the sleep sacks. You can even get a sleep sack the swaddles just the arms.
  • Loading the player...
  • We stopped the swaddle cold turkey and he was perfectly fine *he was still in the rock and play though* but now hes in the crib and sleeps on his side. I think it gives him the comfort of being wrapped. We do use the sacks if its cold enough but usually just a onesie. I would suck it up for a few nights and just go cold turkey- its amazing how quickly they adapt!

photo ecba2e48-bd74-4395-8ca1-47ae6b5df68a_zpsfd491ced.jpg photo 5d7e0910-4031-45ed-a61f-09e4245b7ac6_zps1b85690c.jpg photo 341b9e4e-8eea-4939-9d55-a1c1cf07a00c_zpsa176d7dc.jpg

photo 84a2920e-2954-4acf-9275-ad8708055b12_zpseb05b8cb.jpg

Me and DH - 26years old; IF DX: PCOS, Hypothyroid/Hashimotos(me)
    IVF #1 April 2012- 15 ER (4/13), 13 Fertilized, 1 transfered (4/16), 3 frozen
    Beta #1(4/28)-127 Beta #2(4/30)-301 Beta #3(5/7)-5570!!
    First ultrasound showed 1 strong little heart beat! (5/25) 7/16.. ITS A BOY!
    Brayden Nicholas Born Dec 29 2012 - 7 lbs 10 oz 20 in
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't use anything. I just cut out swaddle bags all together, cold turkey. It was a rough night or two, but now she does fine. Do what will work for you and your LO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • We're in the middle of transitioning out. Bought a Zipadeezip and so far results are mixed. DD really likes it but she has so many sleep issues it's hard to tell which one is affecting her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • We unswaddled cold turkey as well and he was still in our pnp in our room. Pretty sure he was three months when we did that and no problems. Now he sleeps in his crib in his room, wakes up once or twice at night. No ccomplaints here. Good luck! You can do it :) 

• We bought the sleep suit, and DS liked it. It made the transition from the swaddle and RnP to swaddle free and crib seamless. He can bring his hands to his face with it on and kick his legs up. We may ditch it soon, because he is able to roll on his side and I am wondering if he tries to do this at night to get more comfortable and the suit prevents him from doing it and he wakes up. Or this is just a false hope I'm clinging to that I erroneously believe might help my LO STTN.
  • imagerjeller32:
    I don't use anything. I just cut out swaddle bags all together, cold turkey. It was a rough night or two, but now she does fine. Do what will work for you and your LO.

This, we just stopped with anything all together. Footed PJs are enough. She seems to really like having the freedom
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"