Eco-Friendly Family

Working mommies, daycare, cloth diapers

Looking ahead to arrival of little one... so many decisions, like: should I register for cloth diapers, or disposable (7th gen) diapers?  

I have heard some day cares (even in big cities) are just not accepting of cloth diapers, or that they will only take a certain kind (with the disposable pad?).  Well, I moved to a small town surrounded by rural areas, which likely does not increase my prospects.  I plan to use a larger day care center rather than in-home, due to a common theme of providers that left co-workers stranded with little notice.

If you have had luck getting a daycare to use cloth diapers, was it a specific kind?  What kind of community do you live in (town size)? As a working mom, how did you keep up with all of the diapers?  I've heard you have to change babies more frequently with cloth, because they don't wick moisture.

Re: Working mommies, daycare, cloth diapers

• Cloth has come a long way and they are super easy. I am a working mom and I successfully used cloth with my first and plan to use them with my new baby.I just took them when I visited the center and showed them how easy they are. For daycare, I mostly used pocket diapers since they are easy for others to use. I took a wetbag daily to take the diapers home and I stocked the daycare with as many as I could for the week. They just wrapped them up ad put them in the wetbag- I don't think they dumped the poop. I normally washed the diapers every 2-3 days. It did not add that much to my full mommy schedule. Good luck.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I worked in a daycare in a small town and they accepted cloth diapers. Maybe if you showed them how easy it was they would be more accepting? I see no reason that AIOs of pre-stuffed pockets should be too much of a problem, all they have to do is put the diaper in a wet bag rather than the trash.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I take my son to a daycare and they accept cloth diapers.  They don't have any restrictions on which kinds.  However, I use gdiapers, which have covers that are meant to be reused several times before washing.  They daycare won't reuse them, so I have to bring extra covers.  It was a little bit of an investment to buy more of them, but it was worth it.  Also, as a pp stated, they don't dump the poo...not fun!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • t

imagethe_jackpot:
    Cloth has come a long way and they are super easy. I am a working mom and I successfully used cloth with my first and plan to use them with my new baby.I just took them when I visited the center and showed them how easy they are. For daycare, I mostly used pocket diapers since they are easy for others to use. I took a wetbag daily to take the diapers home and I stocked the daycare with as many as I could for the week. They just wrapped them up ad put them in the wetbag- I don't think they dumped the poop. I normally washed the diapers every 2-3 days. It did not add that much to my full mommy schedule. Good luck.

This, to the bold print.  

ETA: In my state (Maine) day care centers must allow cloth diapers, by law.  You just have to have a note from your pedi.   I didn't need to go that route, but you could try that if your LO has any type of chemical sensitivity to sposies.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We use cloth diapers at our daycare center. I brought them in to show them in advance, and they were very comfortable with them.

I try to send only applix closure diapers to daycare, since they're easier and so similar to disposables. We use pockets or all-in-ones - most are Tots Bots or BumGenius. Now that they've been diapering my daughter for 5 months, they're comfortable with snaps as well (I'll send FuzziBunz if I've been lazy about laundry).

GL!

• imagetracyl0826:
    I take my son to a daycare and they accept cloth diapers.  They don't have any restrictions on which kinds.  However, I use gdiapers, which have covers that are meant to be reused several times before washing.  They daycare won't reuse them, so I have to bring extra covers.  It was a little bit of an investment to buy more of them, but it was worth it.  Also, as a pp stated, they don't dump the poo...not fun!

This is our daycare, too. They accept cloth, but said they can't reuse covers. They'll use any type, even prefolds. They don't dump poop, but I don't think they do for disposable diapers either. MH and I are on rotating daycare diaper duty :)

This was a question I asked when I interviewed daycares. Ours was the only one that said yes. It wasn't the deciding factor, but it was definitely important.

• Find the daycare first. I'm surprised at the amount of locations which are open to CD provided you follow hygienic procedures (bring in a liner and pail so they can easily put the dirties in there and I would also suggest if you do prefolds/cover that you have a cover for each change so they don't have to touch a wet prefold). 
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"