Stay at Home Moms

S/O bragging/overstating milestones

So on the Facebook group for my DD's birth month (June 2012) this mom asked if others' LO's would go get pants, socks, shirt etc. if asked and most people replied that they might know one of those but not all of them.  

HOWEVER, one super awesome mom was all like: now I think there is something wrong with DD because she knows SO MANY things around the house and will point to them, go get them and even say them.  Of course, her other 2 kids were just like this too because she plays with them and talks to them all day.  One knew a gazillion family members that live a million miles away by 14 months and the other knew all his colors and animals and foods and shapes by 18 months.

So annoying...

And my feelings about this are not at all influenced by the fact that DD has not made a mama sound even out of context and doesn't really seem to be able to identify any objects yet when we ask her about them.

I know it will come and I *think* she seems to be developing normally, just a month or two behind many other babies her age.  When I look at milestone charts, she is doing most of the things it says she should be doing, but on the CDC chart I saw, it said to talk to your doctor if she is not saying single words like mama and dada at one year.  So I am going to talk to her new ped about this at our appointment in about a week.  It just makes it a little harder when a special few brag about their little geniuses, even though I know many of them are exaggerating. 

Re: S/O bragging/overstating milestones

• Of course all kids develop at their own pace but it is incredibly hard to take someone seriously when their child is THAT far ahead in so many areas. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah I seriously sideeye anyone whose kid is so far advanced- many people like to exagerate.

• Loading the player...
  • My cousin and I have kids that are six weeks apart. It has been very interesting to see how different their development is. My daughter is much more verbal and my cousin's son has much better hand eye cordination and such. They are both within the range of normal but they excell in different ways. I'm sure your LO has something that s/he does very well too.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I say this again and again. My son has been described as "freakishly verbal for a boy" by more than one teacher. He has an insane vocabulary for a 6 year old. Know what he said at a year? "Mama." Know what he said at 18 months? "Mama. Baby. Nana. Bee. (Daddy was called "mama," too)" 

I'm sorry, but I think there is absolutely NO correlation between how early your child develops certain skills and future success, assuming it's all within a typically developing time period. And sometimes, even outside of it.

• imageMrs.Hizzo:

I say this again and again. My son has been described as "freakishly verbal for a boy" by more than one teacher. He has an insane vocabulary for a 6 year old. Know what he said at a year? "Mama." Know what he said at 18 months? "Mama. Baby. Nana. Bee. (Daddy was called "mama," too)" 

I'm sorry, but I think there is absolutely NO correlation between how early your child develops certain skills and future success, assuming it's all within a typically developing time period. And sometimes, even outside of it.

thanks.  This is always helpful to hear. Even though I know it, it is always helpful to hear other examples.   

• ta78ta78 member
    My son had an incredible vocabulary at 1-2.. now at 3 it seems he is on par w all the other kids his age. They all get there at their own pace, but just because a baby may be a little developmentally ahead at 1 doesn't mean they will always be ahead.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• My DD is the same age as yours. She doesn't say anything yet. She babbles, but nothing in context. My son was the same. Try not to stress about it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ehhh, people are excited and want to brag about their kids. If it bothers you, try to avoid those threads.

My ped says that there are five stages of development: fine motor, gross motor, verbal, social, and physical. NO kid is ever at the very top of the scale for all of them.

• imageMrs.Hizzo:

I say this again and again. My son has been described as "freakishly verbal for a boy" by more than one teacher. He has an insane vocabulary for a 6 year old. Know what he said at a year? "Mama." Know what he said at 18 months? "Mama. Baby. Nana. Bee. (Daddy was called "mama," too)" 

I agree. At a year my son was talking in three word sentences. Now at 2 we are in the middle of starting early intervention as his verbal skills didn't progress and he "lost" words. Really each child develops at their own pace. Enjoy right now and try not to get caught up in the rat race. Every child like every adult has thier own skills and need to be celebrated. My son may not talk as much as others and be a bit behind with skills but we work on that and we celebrate his amazing ability to have compassion and empathy for others. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagechickaboo1974:

Yeah I seriously sideeye anyone whose kid is so far advanced- many people like to exagerate.

This. But it's also hard not to compare your child with them and it gets annoying. DD had a best friend like this. The mom was super over the top and while I knew it was BS, it was hard on me not to compare my later developing dyslexic child. It actually ended our friendship.

• imageSpin313:
    Ehhh, people are excited and want to brag about their kids. If it bothers you, try to avoid those threads. My ped says that there are five stages of development: fine motor, gross motor, verbal, social, and physical. NO kid is ever at the very top of the scale for all of them.

Children can also only focus on one of those stages at a time.  While this person's child may be more verbal at this point, your child might have better gross motor skills.  It can be really hard, though. My cousin's son is three days younger than my son, so comparisons are inevitable.  I remember at one point, I was enviously watching as their DS hugged, snuggled, and babbled with his mom.  My DS was always on the go, and had no interest in stopping to "talk" to people.  Minutes later, I heard my cousin's wife whisper to her husband "Don't worry, he will get there" in response to my DS walking across the room while their son was still crawling.  Two years later, their son is walking, and my son stops to talk to everyone.  Every child goes at their own pace, revel in the accomplishments of your own child.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks again for all the responses.  DD seems to develop a little bit later than many of her peers in both language and gross motor so it's hard to say oh, she's just focusing on this right now.  But again, I know it is going to be fine.  It's just hard not to worry some times.

It is always helpful to hear that others experience the same thing.  

• Ds1 didn't even say mama until after two. I would worry about it endlessly. He's perfectly fine now and won't shut up lol don't worry. You're dd is probably just fine and that lady is a lying liar who lies. 

Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13
  • imagechelseymat:

Ds1 didn't even say mama until after two. I would worry about it endlessly. He's perfectly fine now and won't shut up lol don't worry. You're dd is probably just fine and that lady is a lying liar who lies. 

haha, this is awesome.  Thanks.  I need to print out these responses and tape them to my walls :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"