December 2010 Moms

Why stage?

Is anybody else's LO asking why about everything? I thought this would come at age 4 or so, but we're getting it now. 

Why is it bedtime? Why do I need to rest? Why is it slippery in the tub? Why do I eat with a fork? Why do babies cry? Why is my shirt green?

I'm trying to avoid the "because your mama said so" but there's only so much one can explain! 

Re: Why stage?

• Ha ha, yes, we hit this about a month ago. I found d that giving real answers helps, but when he starts getting annoying (yeh, he gets annoying..) I ask him to answer it. So he asks why those cars turned and after 6 repetitions of why, I ask him 'Thor, why did those cars turn?' It works almost everytime :)
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • lrn327lrn327 member
    Yep, C was pretty adamant with the "whys" for a while but it's really slacked off!  When he'd ask "why" a million times in a row, I'd answer every single question.  After about ten questions, he'd end with "oh".  In my mind, I'd always chalk up one point for mommy, ha ha!  I'll give it to him though, he asks good questions!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • kj07kj07 member

imagedee12807:
    Ha ha, yes, we hit this about a month ago. I found d that giving real answers helps, but when he starts getting annoying (yeh, he gets annoying..) I ask him to answer it. So he asks why those cars turned and after 6 repetitions of why, I ask him 'Thor, why did those cars turn?' It works almost everytime :)

We haven't hit 'why' here, but we've been living with, "what <blank> doing?" for months, which is basically the same thing.  I definitely use the get him to answer it tactic like dee.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • N doesn't say the word why, but he asks "What's that?", which in Nate speak is basically the same thing.  It does get annoying, but since we are trying so hard to increase his word count in sentences and fix articulation issues, we answer him.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • But I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this (and minor annoyance from time to time). I'll keep answering....and then, when I'm at wit's end, ask him why he thinks....

Sometimes it's kind-of interesting what he's curious about. The other morning, I thought it strange he asked "what's that" when we crossed over the overpass we cross every day en route to school. I explained it was a bigger road. Why is it a bigger road, mama? I explained six lanes rather than 4, yada yada yada, but it didn't seem to satisfy him.

10 minutes after drop-off, I cross back over the same spot and see that there's a wreck down below on the road he asked about, that there are two fire trucks, an ambulance and police cars, and traffic is totally backed up. So no wonder he was curious! I was paying attention to the road, and answering his questions, and so I had no idea what he was noticing.

• Oh lord yes. It's been like this for a few months now. It's a fun game for her! I thought I could just keep answering questions until we got to the end of the "whys," but it's harder than it sounds!
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekj07:

imagedee12807:
    Ha ha, yes, we hit this about a month ago. I found d that giving real answers helps, but when he starts getting annoying (yeh, he gets annoying..) I ask him to answer it. So he asks why those cars turned and after 6 repetitions of why, I ask him 'Thor, why did those cars turn?' It works almost everytime :)

We haven't hit 'why' here, but we've been living with, "what &lt;blank&gt; doing?" for months, which is basically the same thing.&nbsp; I definitely use the get him to answer it tactic like dee.

Same here. We get the "What blank doing?" And "Where's blank?" a lot, but no why's yet. When he asks the same question over and over I just say, "What do you think it's doing?" Or "Where do you think it is?" I will use the same for why. lol
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • haha! DS isn't constantly asking "Why?", but is definitely in a questioning phase - What's his name? What's that for? What's that on TV?

...And now that I see that written out, apparently we're in a "What?" phase!

• imagedee12807:
    lol, is this while you're driving? DS does this too!

Why did the car turn? Where'd the truck go? That truck following us, Mommy? What's that car? lol 

• Same as some of the pps...not why, but "What is _____ doing?"  I almost fell off my chair the other night when DS said, "What is salad dressing doing?"  Ummm...sitting on your salad?   I mean, sometimes there just are no answers!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagepitterpatter129:

N doesn't say the word why, but he asks "What's that?", which in Nate speak is basically the same thing.  It does get annoying, but since we are trying so hard to increase his word count in sentences and fix articulation issues, we answer him.

We're FULLY in the "What's that?" stage too!  Holy cow, on the 10 minute ride to daycare I hear that phrase about a billion times!  And since I'm driving, I can't be all looking around to see what he's asking about; if I ignore him it's just "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy" until I answer him!! 

• I think mine is saying "why" just as a normal reaction to anything now. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"