Breastfeeding

Considering switching to formula

My son is ten days old. At first doctor visit, he was underweight, and doctor is having us supplement with formula now.

From the beginning, LO did not seem satisfied with my milk, and always hungry. At this point, he will be on the breast for over an hour eating, but still be screaming for more when he comes off. He has a good latch and I can feel him drinking, but I can tell its from hunger because of his movements rooting, sucking on his fists. It's extremely frustrating, regularly bringing me to tears because I can't satisfy his hunger.

I am stuck on the decision to switch to formula. When he got a bottle, he ate efficiently, was full, happy, and slept well. On breast milk he is cranky, never satisfied, and doesn't sleep. I am so conflicted.

Re: Considering switching to formula

• I was in a similar situation, supplementing due to weight.

Are you pumping? Have you seen a lactation consultant? My pediatrician and lactation consultant would have me do weighted feeds before supplementing and then after nursing I would pump until dry and then continue pumping for another 5 minutes. This sucked because something was attached to my boods almost 24/7 but after about 1.5 weeks my supply started to increase and we slowly weaned off the formula and now baby is 8 weeks and we haven't given formula in over 3.

I also did other things to help my supply like oatmeal, mothers milk tea, fenugreek supplement and drank a minimum of 12 glasses of wAter a day.

My LC also helped with getting us a better latch which in return allowed for a slightly shorter eating time because LO was a better eater. A bettwr latch also might have provided better stimulation resulting in More milk production. However, at 10 days I believe it's very normal to be nursing for long periods of time 8 to 12 times a day.

If you want to BF I encourage you to stick with it. I cried so many times in the first month but we are finally to a happy manageable point.

GL

• Do whatever is best for your son...there are tons of women who switch to formula.  I do know that while diaper count is important letting a baby feed for hours isn't doing much bc they are burning more calories eating than they are ingesting...and sometime by the time a Dr notices insufficient weight gain its been weeks where your lo is uncomfortably hungry.  I would book an appt with your Dr.  and have he/she go over the best course of action. Good luck:)

After three miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy we are currently pursuing adoption. " Born not from our flesh, but born in our heart. You were longed for and wanted and loved from the start."
  • Loading the player...
  • Mmm79Mmm79 member

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time.  I remember feedings early on where we were both in tears- it was so, so hard.

If you really want to give breastfeeding your best try, I would definitely reach out to a lactation consultant (LC) zoo.  There is probably one at your hospital, but you could also check with your pediatrician's office.  As other have mentioned, they will probably do weighted feedings so you know how much milk you LO is transferring. 

In the early days I was doing the crazy dance of trying to nurse, pumping and supplementing (with formula and expresed breast milk). I felt like I was going to drop dead.  But once things settled- around the five week mark- it got better.  We were able to move to just nursing by 5/6 weeks and now it is so much easier than warming up a bottle- especially in the middle of the night.

If you do decide to switch to formula, make the decision and move on.  Don't dwell on it or feel bad as many women do.  Taking care of your baby and yourself is the most important thing.

Good luck. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
    BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
    BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
    BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

• Our ped is having us supplement because he's nearly a pound away from his birth weight at 7 days. He told me to nurse, and then offer formula, of which he'll usually take about 1 oz. Ped also told me I can do a full feeding of formula and pump to keep my supply going, but I always feel so guilty when I do that, like I gave up on feeding my baby, even though I've not really had a strong opinion either way when it comes to nursing vs. formula. Hopefully with our doctor visit this week I can get some more answers.
  • Here is what no one told me. Breastfeeding is hard! My LO is 5 weeks old and the first 3 weeks I thought for sure I would quit. Jack wasnt gaining weight and I had to supplement with formula on for the first week. But then my milk came in and I stopped the formula. 

He went from 6lb 2 ounces to 8 lb 10 ounces at his 1 month appointment. That was all breast milk and 3 days of a couple of bottles of formula.

Here is what I do to save my sanity. I breastfeed and pump one bottle at night for my hubby to do. On the weekends I pump the evening bottle and one morning bottle so I can catch some extra sleep in the morning on the weekend.

Make small goals for yourself. I set 2 weeks as my first. I though for sure I would quit. Then 2 weeks came and I said, ok 1 month. At one month, everything was falling into place, routine, his efficiency and now I do not see quitting.

Your nipples will hurt, the first couple of weeks, you will be exhausted. It does get easier. It really does.   

photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can try to pump and supplement with BM. This will help build your supply. When the twins were born, I would nurse and then pump after I nursed. DH would use the milk I pumped to supplement the next feed and then offer formula as needed. (I did not pump in the middle of the night.) I also agree that a LC could really help. At the end of the day if switching to formula works for you and your family then do it. GL!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • If you want to BF (if you don't then that's okay too) you need to see a lactation consultant asap! A lot of pedis just aren't as educated on BFing and can jump to formula as a cure-all. If you think it's supply related a weighted feed will tell you how much your LO is getting. A LC can also give a second opinion on the weight gain/loss. Some pedis put a lot of focus of birth weight as opposed to the current weight compared to the lowest point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"