Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

breastfeeding advice

My son is almost 18 months, and I'm still breastfeeding him.. Anyone else still breastfeeding?? When are you planning on stopping? And how do I stop? I don't have a problem With breastfeeding my son, I don't do it out in public it's mostly just for naps... Just want some advice and to see other moms who are still doing it!

Re: breastfeeding advice

• My DD is also 18 months. I nursed until she was 16 months. Originally the plan was to go until 12 months, but I really enjoyed the bonding time.  Once she became a year I introduced whole milk with the exception of her morning and evening feeding. Then eventually I also stopped nursing her at night. I was pretty unsure of when I would stop. Mentally I knew I wanted to stop by age 2, but emotionally I really wanted to keep my special time with her. At about 16 months she stopped showing interest. Probably because my supply was low. EIther way thats how we decided to stop. Now in the morning we cuddle with her sippy and a book. I know thats not really an answer, but I hope it helps. Good Luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD turned 3 in May. She still nurses twice a day - before bedtime, and first thing after waking up. We stopped nursing in public sometime around two years, but even then it wasn't often.

My plan is to let her self-wean, but I may change that is she's on her way to kindergarten and hasn't stopped, or if I really get annoyed with it sooner. 

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I still bf my 15 month old.  I planned to be done at 12 months, but he hated cow milk.  We are finally down to 2-3 nursing sessions a day.  Morning, nap, and bedtime... I'm ready to be done and my supply is really low.  I'm hoping he loses interest in the next few months.  My entire family is formula-driven, I am the oddball, and I am starting to be criticized for it :( However, that is not why I am ready to be done... they told me I'd never make it to a year and I did :)

GL! 

• No help here is how to stop. I was SOO ready to be done at a year when DD was 9-11 months. The at 11 months I was able to stop pumping at work and run the freezer statsh out until we could introduce cow's milk. Then she dropped her late afternoon/early evening nursing session and I wasn't so ready to give up nursing her anymore. She is 13 months and we nurse first thing in the morning and right before bed.

DH inquired recently as to when I thought we would stop (since I had previously been very set on one year) and I told him I wasn't sure maybe 14months, maybe 16 months. I know by 18months I will need to wean because we want to start ttc then and my cycles are still very sporadic due to the nursing.

• DD is 13 1/2 mo old and we're still BFing for morning and night. I have tried to cut one out, and she is not having it. First we tried night time and she cried and cried until I gave in. Then, I tried to give her a sippy of milk in the morning and same thing. My mom and H keep saying it's time to stop, she's too big to be BF but I feel like if it's something that upsets her, I'm not going to wean until it's easier. I did just read an article over the weekend that if they're not weaned by 16-18 months, it's nearly impossible to do until 36 months. So, hopefully we will work on weaning again in the next few months. 
  • Still going strong. Still nursing about 4-6x/day and doing equally as many MOTN feedings. No idea when/how I'm going to wean her. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

• imagemrsshawnavanb:
    DD is 13 1/2 mo old and we're still BFing for morning and night. I have tried to cut one out, and she is not having it. First we tried night time and she cried and cried until I gave in. Then, I tried to give her a sippy of milk in the morning and same thing. My mom and H keep saying it's time to stop, she's too big to be BF but I feel like if it's something that upsets her, I'm not going to wean until it's easier. I did just read an article over the weekend that if they're not weaned by 16-18 months, it's nearly impossible to do until 36 months. So, hopefully we will work on weaning again in the next few months. 

Good to know!! I support people who do, BUT I do not want to nurse my 3 year old!!! I guess in the next few months I need to figure out how to make him stop. By the way, my family is saying the same thing... gets on my nerves.  It's none of their business. 

• MomtoHMomtoH member
    We are still nursing here at 16 months.  I've recently started trying to cut her back to 4x a day plus nighttime (we bedshare so she nurses 1-3 times a night).  It's going well and she's eating more food.  I just basically offered food more often so she wouldn't want to nurse as much.  I am hoping to have her down to 3 times (wakeup--nap--bed) + overnights by the time we go on vacation in Nov.  I'm hoping to nurse her through the next flu season so until she is around 27 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • MomtoHMomtoH member
    imageCavColby1:
    imagemrsshawnavanb:
    DD is 13 1/2 mo old and we're still BFing for morning and night. I have tried to cut one out, and she is not having it. First we tried night time and she cried and cried until I gave in. Then, I tried to give her a sippy of milk in the morning and same thing. My mom and H keep saying it's time to stop, she's too big to be BF but I feel like if it's something that upsets her, I'm not going to wean until it's easier. I did just read an article over the weekend that if they're not weaned by 16-18 months, it's nearly impossible to do until 36 months. So, hopefully we will work on weaning again in the next few months. 

Good to know!! I support people who do, BUT I do not want to nurse my 3 year old!!! I guess in the next few months I need to figure out how to make him stop. By the way, my family is saying the same thing... gets on my nerves.  It's none of their business. 

I don't think that is true.  I have so many friends who weaned their little ones (or had little ones who self weaned) between 18 months and 2 years

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • My LO is still nursing, and she's 18m.  I only nurse her once during the day, and then at bedtime and overnight. She has that bad habit of having to nurse to go to sleep (not for naps anymore, but at bedtime), so its going to be a pain in the butt to break the habit.   I'm not really in any rush to wean her...I like the bonding time, but my husband wants me to wean her...and my mom....they're starting to look at me like its weird so I'm probably going to have to start working on it.
    ~*Kimberly*~

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
  • Absolutely still BF-ing and if DS has his way, we won't stop anytime soon.  He is 17.5 months.  In my head, I envision us stopping by 24 months...but we'll see.  It's such a great way to reconnect with him after a day at work.  I'd recommend checking out the breastfeeding forum, if you don't already...on Wednesday's we post an Extended BF-ing check for mom's who nurse past 12 months.  

So I have no advice on how to stop - I'll be right there with you looking for advice when the time comes.  But for times like colds, teething and a wicked fever like he's had the past 3 days and won't drink anything...I'm grateful we're still at it.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"