Babies on the Brain

Celexa and pregnancy?

Can anyone share their experience with taking Celexa while pregnant? I take alow dose for panic/anxiety and neither my psych or my ob seem to be concerned about me continuing it if I get pregnant. Thoughts?

Re: Celexa and pregnancy?

• I didn't take Celexa while pregnant but I took Wellbutrin through my entire pregnancy and DD had no birth defects or complications what so ever.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • No but my dr wanted me to quit cymbalta before we concieved. She said lowest dose was probably ok though but I didn't want any risks
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not on Celexa specifically, but I'm on a category C antidepressant.  I talked to my doctor and essentially the benefits outweigh any risks.  I can't get through nine months without it, and the risks to a baby are incredibly low.
  • imageNikkiJ814:
    I'm not on Celexa specifically, but I'm on a category C antidepressant.  I talked to my doctor and essentially the benefits outweigh any risks.  I can't get through nine months without it, and the risks to a baby are incredibly low.

All of this.  I was on Zoloft through both of my pregnancies with no adverse effects.  My OB and I discussed it and, for me, the added anxiety of pregnancy plus my underlying anxiety condition made the benefits outweigh the risks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you everyone! That was what I was hoping to hear. :
  • I was on Lexapro which I understand is a "sister drug" to Celexa.  My doctor (OB and PCP) specifically said not to take it during pregnancy and also said I should wean myself off 3 months prior to TTC.  I don't know enough about either drug or what makes them so different... I guess if your doctor's aren't concerned there is no need for you to be concerned.  But personally, anything I don't need to take I won't be taking during my pregnancy (if or when the time comes)... I would prefer to manage my anxiety without medication than risk any complications.  But everyone is different and if you really feel you can't manage without the medication, and your docs are ok with it, then you make a decision that you are comfortable with.  Good luck!

• I'm taking 40 mg of celexa and both my ob and shrink are ok with it
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB said I could take my Celexa, but recommended that I try to do without it since the effects on a fetus are not confirmed.  I took 40mg before we started trying to conceive.  I took it for stress and anxiety.  She told me that she would put me back on it if I went into depression or got suicidal.
    DX: Hashimoto's - August 2012

Me:30 / DH: 31

BFP#1 after 15 cycles on 12/1/2013 EDD 8/7/2014

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"