Baby Names

Opinion

My DH is of Arabic origin ( I am Caucasian American) so we are trying for names that will not be too ethnic either way. Like, some girl names that work fine are Layla, Nora, and Sarah. But he told me a name yesterday that I really like: it's traditionally spelled Asma but is pronounced Esma. (Just like you are saying the letter S and ma.) I/we can spell a name any way we want in English, so should I just spell it Esma if we go for that? Don't you think it looks like Asthma or Assma spelled with an A? 
image image BabyFruit Ticker First Jelly Bean EDD Jan 26 2014 - 1 day before MY birthday!

Re: Opinion

• I would go for Esma...
  • I do think that Asma would be pronounced like Asthma by most English speakers.

I think it's usually ok to spell Arabic names the way they are pronounced because they are transliterated, so there's no real way to have an "original" English spelling. A name like Layla can be spelled Layla, Leila, Leyla, Lailah, etc. and they're all correct. So I would go for Esma.

Other names you might like:

Aya

Esme

Ayla

Isla

Alma

• Loading the player...
  • I think in the States people will understand Esma far more than Asma. And I would pronounce it "-ma" or "asthma" if I saw that spelling.

I like PPs suggestion of Esme instead. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMelRC117:
    I would have pronounced it like Asthma. BUT I prefer names spelled correctly so I'm torn.

I agree.  I think either way you will probably be correcting people.  I see Asma as Asthma and Esma as Ezz-Mah. 

I think you have to choose what is the lesser of two evils.  If it were me, I'd go with Esma.

Either way, it's a very nice name.

• imageMelRC117:
    I would have pronounced it like Asthma. BUT I prefer names spelled correctly so I'm torn.

I totally agree. I think that you should just toss the name. WDYT of Lila or Zara?

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• imageplunderb:
    I think it's usually ok to spell Arabic names the way they are pronounced because they are transliterated, so there's no real way to have an "original" English spelling. A name like Layla can be spelled Layla, Leila, Leyla, Lailah, etc. and they're all correct. So I would go for Esma.

Agree. I'm usually a stickler for spelling names correctly, but in this case I don't believe there's just one correct spelling in English.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I like Esma and Esme.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm still getting the "asthma" connection when the name is spelled like Esma ....because they sound similar.  I don't like it at all.  I think Esme is a better option .... because you're not get the "asthma" connection.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• I think you could spell it either way but you're still going to have pronunciation issues. When I first looked at it I would have pronounced the s as a z, Azma/Ezma. I think you'd get that a lot.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Esma.  I think you'll probably only have to correct people the first time or two.  They'll get it.  And if they don't (as some people still mispronounce DD2's name after 6 years) then that's just a risk with a non-mainstream name; it's more a reflection of them than her at that point.  It doesn't detract from the beauty of the name itself. 

• I like names spelled correctly, but in this case, I would probably go with Esma.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• Agree with some of the PPs. Arabic alphabet isn't ours, so there isn't really a correct spelling. I think spelling it phonetically is fine. And I think Esma is lovely.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    N '13 November Siggy Challenge- Baby Pictures

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"