March 2013 Moms

What does night time look like for you?

Hi ladies. I'm curious about how the other March moms and babies are doing at night. What is the bedtime routine, is LO still in your room, is LO selfsettling, etc.

My LO is 12 weeks. We swaddle, give her a bottle of formula, and hold her until she's in a deep sleep. It's usually around 8 or 8:30 when we lay her down in her crib. She sleeps until about 2. We feed again and I lay her back down at 3, asleep. The rest of the night she sleeps quite restlessly, however and is usually up for the day by 5. Honestly, she often ends up in her bouncer next to our bed after 3 a.m.

We've been trying the awake but drowsy thing during the day, with mixed results. Thinking we need to be trying at night too but I desperately need that 5 to 6 hour stretch she gives us and I'm afraid of messing it up! Also,we keep her upright for at least 30 min after a bottle due to reflux, so she is usually asleep by that time anyway.

Re: What does night time look like for you?

• We are almost 13 weeks and lo sleep in her swing from 9:30 until 6 am. We are starting to transition into her crib but she wakes up everytime. We try 3 times every night and then go back to the swing. Lo goes to daycare part time and for naps she sleeps on the floor on a boppy. I gave them permission for this.since they have to many rules with no blankets or noise machines near or in the crib. At my mil even though i ask her not to do it lo sleeps in a pack in play on her tummy. I gave given up that fight since she watches her the whole time while she sleeps.
  • My LO is 15 weeks old. She eats and falls asleep between 730 and 830 on her own while we hold her, then she sleeps in her rock n play next to the bed. She gets up around 5:30
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We just transitioned from co sleeping to the crib. So we are still working that out. LO is 11 weeks old on Wednesday. He usually goes down around 8:30 or 9 and when he gets up has varied drastically. Last night was every two hours, the night before was just once, maybe twice, before that was about every 3 hours and before that was every hour. Since stopping our co sleeping habit I've been very sleep deprived.
  • Night time routine is bath, massage, swaddle, bottle then bed. She's in bed before 745. sometimes she falls asleep at bottle, sometimes not. She goes down either awy. If she starts flipping out I hold her, but most of the time she'll either fuss for 5 minutes then sleep or she'll coo and babble and sleep.

Sometimes, if she's had a lot of daytime sleep, she'll wake up at that 45 minute arousal. I'll hold her for a few seconds then put her down awake. She'll look around, laugh and kick then fall asleep. Usually sleeps until 545-630, unless she breaks out of her swaddle like she did today, in which case I reswaddle her, give her some bottle then put her back down awake.

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • Mmm79Mmm79 member

DS is 15 weeks.

Our bedtime routine typically starts at around 7pm.  I nurse him in the glider in his room, then change the diaper, wash his face and change into jammies.  Back into the glider for a story then swaddled, binky inserted and into bed (the PNP at the foot of our bed). He is always awake or awake but drowsy.  About half the time he goes right down.  The other half we have to go in once or maybe twice to settle him, which involved rubbing his head, some shushing and maybe jiggling the PNP if the head rubbing isn't working.  

He's typically out by 7:45pm and sleeps until around 2am.  Then he's back in bed at around 2:40ish after nursing and a new diaper.  He'll fall asleep fine here, too.  Up again at anytime between 4:30 and 5:30.  It's very hard to settle him again after this feeding.  He's typically up for the day between 5 and 5:30am.  

Last night he completely surprised me by sleeping from 7:45 until 4am.  Let's hope that's a harbinger of things to come!   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
    BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
    BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
    BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

• We do a bath anywhere from 8:159:00 depending on what we are doing. I nurse and she falls alseep on my lap after nursing. When we are ready to go up daddy carries her up. She sleeps in the rock and play next to us. Wakes between 5:00 and 7:00 to feed. Then back to sleep until 8:00. : We don't have central air and her room is to hot so she doesn't sleep in there yet.
    Jenny DiLo
  • DS2 is about 13 weeks.

He typically gets changed into jammies around 8:00 and has his last bottle at 8:30 and is in bed by 9:00 in his RNP in his room.  We don't swaddle, just a sleep sack.  We also don't really have a bedtime "routine" simply because we also have a three year old who is fairly high maintenance at bedtime as well.  DS2 typically sleeps from 9:00 at night to between 7:00 and 8:00 AM without waking up.  He stopped eating in the MOTN about 3 weeks ago. 

image image
  • We do a bath anywhere from 8:159:00 depending on what we are doing. I nurse and she falls alseep on my lap after nursing. When we are ready to go up daddy carries her up. She sleeps in the rock and play next to us. Wakes between 5:00 and 7:00 to feed. Then back to sleep until 8:00. : We don't have central air and her room is to hot so she doesn't sleep in there yet.
    Jenny DiLo
  • imagebookitup:

imagejonesie2010:

Hi ladies. I'm curious about how the other March moms and babies are doing at night. What is the bedtime routine, is LO still in your room, is LO selfsettling, etc.

My LO is 12 weeks. We swaddle, give her a bottle of formula, and hold her until she's in a deep sleep. It's usually around 8 or 8:30 when we lay her down in her crib. She sleeps until about 2. We feed again and I lay her back down at 3, asleep. The rest of the night she sleeps quite restlessly, however and is usually up for the day by 5. Honestly, she often ends up in her bouncer next to our bed after 3 a.m.

We've been trying the awake but drowsy thing during the day, with mixed results. Thinking we need to be trying at night too but I desperately need that 5 to 6 hour stretch she gives us and I'm afraid of messing it up! Also,we keep her upright for at least 30 min after a bottle due to reflux, so she is usually asleep by that time anyway.

This sounds like us! Last feeding by 8:30, in bed by 9 (also a reflux baby!), up at 2, in bed again by 3 (I pump), and then up again by 5 or 6. He also takes naps, sometimes 45 min to an hour or two throughout the day. I try to keep him up after 6 PM, and sometimes that helps and he will sleep until 3 or even 5 some nights...but those are few and far between. But he is pretty restless after his 2 am feeding. Do you have a sleep sheep or noise machine? Sometimes that helps the restlessness; I always turn it on when I lay him down and if he's really stirring around I'll turn it back on and that calms him sometimes. Or I give him a pacifier...that helps once Ina while, too.

Glad to hear we're not alone on the restlessness. She just grunts and squirms for 2 or 3 hours. It's so noisy that my husband often goes to sleep downstairs so he can have some peace! I wonder if it's the reflux flaring. We do have a sleep sheep, not sure if it helps much or not.
  • imagejonesie2010:
    imagebookitup:

imagejonesie2010:
    What does night time look like for you? Hi ladies. I'm curious about how the other March moms and babies are doing at night. What is the bedtime routine, is LO still in your room, is LO selfsettling, etc. My LO is 12 weeks. We swaddle, give her a bottle of formula, and hold her until she's in a deep sleep. It's usually around 8 or 8:30 when we lay her down in her crib. She sleeps until about 2. We feed again and I lay her back down at 3, asleep. The rest of the night she sleeps quite restlessly, however and is usually up for the day by 5. Honestly, she often ends up in her bouncer next to our bed after 3 a.m. We've been trying the awake but drowsy thing during the day, with mixed results. Thinking we need to be trying at night too but I desperately need that 5 to 6 hour stretch she gives us and I'm afraid of messing it up! Also,we keep her upright for at least 30 min after a bottle due to reflux, so she is usually asleep by that time anyway.

This sounds like us! Last feeding by 8:30, in bed by 9 (also a reflux baby!), up at 2, in bed again by 3 (I pump), and then up again by 5 or 6. He also takes naps, sometimes 45 min to an hour or two throughout the day. I try to keep him up after 6 PM, and sometimes that helps and he will sleep until 3 or even 5 some nights...but those are few and far between. But he is pretty restless after his 2 am feeding. Do you have a sleep sheep or noise machine? Sometimes that helps the restlessness; I always turn it on when I lay him down and if he's really stirring around I'll turn it back on and that calms him sometimes. Or I give him a pacifier...that helps once Ina while, too.

Glad to hear we're not alone on the restlessness. She just grunts and squirms for 2 or 3 hours. It's so noisy that my husband often goes to sleep downstairs so he can have some peace! I wonder if it's the reflux flaring. We do have a sleep sheep, not sure if it helps much or not.

yup. Us too. Starting at 4 or 5 am it's constant wiggling, grunting, flailing around.  

• I start our bedtime routine at 9, which consists of a diaper change, warm washcloth on his face and hands, and pyjamas.  I then nurse him in our bedroom in the dark.  He falls asleep while nursing or shortly thereafter.  I then put him down in the RnP beside our bed.  Sometimes he wakes up while I move him, sometimes not. If he does, he will usually put himself back to sleep within a few minutes.  He sleeps until 4, then wakes for a diaper change and feeding.  Back down within an hour for another three hours or so.  It's not perfect, but I'll take it. :). I'm hoping for drowsy but awake soon, but first I have to transition him from his RnP, which I am dreading!
    Miscarriage in January 2012 at 8 weeks
    Subsequently diagnosed with low P4, LOR. MH DX low motility, varicocele 
    BFP in July 2012 (Gonal-f + trigger + IUI#2 (B2B) + prometrium)
    Lost Baby A prior to 7 weeks; large SCH; Baby B (Bug) was born in March 2013
    BFP June 2014; EDD February 19, 2015
  • Wow these posts are making me feel very lucky! LO is 15 weeks old. Bedtime routine usually starts between 8:30-9:15... as far as a routine he gets changed into jammies, swaddled, then we feed a bottle in bed. He used to just pass right out with the bottle, but these days not always. Usually in bed asleep (PNP in our room) by 10:30, so it is a long process for us. Then he'll often sleep until about 9:30 in the morning. There are also times he wakes up about an hour after going to sleep and has to be bounced and shushed back to sleep until about midnight, but then he's good after that. I'll count my blessings!
  • I am insanely jealous.  I put DS down about 8:30 after swing, feeding and change of jammies, diaper and he only sleeps until midnight, then 2 am, then 4 am, then 5:30 am then gets up at 6:30 all smiles.  I'm loosing it with lack of sleep.  He is 15 weeks and either cosleeps or in RNP next to bed.  Sometimes crib.  SO TIRED!
    42 yo FTM!!
  • We have a pretty loose bedtime routine.

Around 5 or 6pm she starts to get sleepy. during this time we will have several naps and feedings mostly interspersed with awake times.

Sometime between 7:30 and 8pm I will get her in her ON diaper, sing to her if she is excitable, and side-lie nurse her until she is deep asleep. Then I sneak away!

I come back if she stirs and nurse her back down. Then I come to bed around 10:30-11pm and we bedshare through the night. She usually eats in her sleep 2-3 times a night but doesn't really "wake up".

If she is cranky and overtired DH will take her on a walk around the block and that calms her down enough to nurse to sleep.

ETA: We were pretty lax swaddlers from the start and pretty much don't do it anymore (except for naps occasionally), she usually sleeps in a diaper (cloth with a wool cover) now that it is hot and she and I shower together twice a week so baths and swaddling are not part of our routine and never have been.

DD is 14 weeks on the 20th

She wakes up around 7am, gets a diaper change and sometimes we sleep in together until 10am depending on how hungry/tired I am and how sleepy she still is!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like this post, it sometimes seems like everyone's babies here STTN and have a very structured bedtime routine, and mine was one of the only that does not. Seems like that is not true!

My little guy is 13 weeks old.

Ever since I have been back at work, he has been passing out for the evening early (around 5 or 6) right after I feed him. It is almost like he is so relieved and comforted that Mommy is there that he is out like a light (though he isn't abnormally upset during the day while I am gone). So we haven't had to do any sort of bedtime routine because he passes out downstairs after a feed. We bring him upstairs and put him in his RnP in his room with the white noise on. At 9ish when we go to bed, he gets fed and a diaper change before he is back in the RnP in our room. Then he usually wakes up around 2am and 4-5am to eat. After the 4/5am feed we usually lay him in bed next to one of us because he is less likely to stay up for good that way. He usually wakes for the day around 6 or 7am.

Once I am off for the summer (school vacation), I am sure we will have to restart a bedtime routine.

• DS is 12.5 weeks. We haven't really implemented a reading routine yet, though we plan to soon, because we are still getting this whole 2 kids down for the night thing worked out. Around 8:15, I swaddle him, nurse him, and set him down. Sometimes he's asleep, sometimes he's awake (if he's awake I give him a paci usually). He eats around 3/3:30 and then is back down - I usually have to wake him at 6:30 during the week and on the weekends he's usually up around 7. He does seem to have a restless period from like 4:45-5:45, very often. Just sort of grunting/gas/who knows. His eyes are closed, but he's definitely moving around a bit and not in any sort of deep sleep. 

For naps, he almost always has to be rocked and we still do most naps in his bouncer. And his naps are super short, which sucks, but I guess it's better to  have good night sleep, so I won't complain. :)

He's still in our room. I'm ready to get him out of there (even though we had DS1 in our room for 6 months) because he doesn't wake up a lot, but can be sort of noisy, etc. BUT, we need to buy a new house first so he can have his own room. :P Sharing with DS1 is not an option right now. 

• DD is 12 weeks old and at 9 weeks, we transitioned to the crib.
    Around 8:30, she drinks her last bottle and then I give her a bath. She kicks around like crazy, has a good time and gets worn out. We also use the Night time bath and lotion, I really think it helps!
    By 9:30, she is in jammies and ready for bed, pacifier in mouth. Depending on the night, I will rock her in her room while reading her a story She could care less about the story, its more for me than for her! Lol and then put her to bed while she's half awake. I usually have to go in a couple times to put her pacifier back in her mouth before she falls asleep.
    Other nights, we bring her in bed with us while we watch some t.v., she falls asleep and before we go to bed, one of us puts her in her room.
    She sleeps from 9:3010:00 until around 7:30AM, DH leaves for work around this time and usually I can bring her into our bed and she will fall back asleep until 9:30AM with no bottle, then pretty much be up for the day with only a few cat naps.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • NovOwlNovOwl member

My LO is 14 weeks and has been a pretty good nighttime sleeper from the start.  We transitioned her from our bedroom to her own room to sleep in her crib at 6 weeks.  It is earlier than I thought we would, but we all sleep better now.

She has a bath around 8pm then a bottle in her room (dark with the twilight turtle on Smile) and a good burp and backrub. She has reflux too but it hasn't been really bothering her at night lately. We lay her down drowsy and she falls asleep usually within a minute or two.  If she doesn't settle it's because she needs a bit more to eat.  She will sleep from about 8:30pm until 5 or 6am, have another bottle, then goes straight back down and sleeps until about 9:30am.  

Sometimes she stirs in the night but falls back asleep on her own.  When I go in for the night feed I don't turn on the lights or talk to her much so she doesn't get too wound up. We had to black out her window with a garbage bag  or she would be up at the crack of dawn with the sun.  I'm working on sewing blackout curtains (which is taking forever with a baby to play with instead!) I try and make her have all of her naps in her crib too, trying to teach her that the crib means sleep time!  It's been going pretty good so far but I'm sure we are just a growth spurt away from it all coming crashing down. Stick out tongue

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs.Castaldi:
    We just transitioned from co sleeping to the crib. So we are still working that out. LO is 11 weeks old on Wednesday. He usually goes down around 8:30 or 9 and when he gets up has varied drastically. Last night was every two hours, the night before was just once, maybe twice, before that was about every 3 hours and before that was every hour. Since stopping our co sleeping habit I've been very sleep deprived.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMrs.Castaldi:
    We just transitioned from co sleeping to the crib. So we are still working that out. LO is 11 weeks old on Wednesday. He usually goes down around 8:30 or 9 and when he gets up has varied drastically. Last night was every two hours, the night before was just once, maybe twice, before that was about every 3 hours and before that was every hour. Since stopping our co sleeping habit I've been very sleep deprived.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMrs.Castaldi:
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so sorry for my posts! I put my phone in the car seat with LO and I think he posted with his toes!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • feed bottle between 7:30-8:30pm than LO goes to sleep on the couch.  We are trying to put her in her crib but that hasn't been working yet.  Feed her again at 11:30pm change her and put her in her sleep sack usually she stays asleep while doing this.  We just stopped swaddling her last night.  She was rolling over now while sleeping so thought it was time to stop swaddling her.  She sleeps in our room in a pack and play during the night. Usually wakes up around 4:30-5:00am then feed her and put her back in pack and play.  Wake her up at 6:30 to get her ready to go to daycare.  I am attempted to not feed her at 11:30pm but I am afraid she will than wake up at 2:00am wanted to be feed. I would rather get up at 4:30am than 2:00am. 

• My little boy is 12 weeks old, for about a week he has been consistent with a nighttime feeding after his evening nap, where he wakes up at around 7:15 or so. Going down for bed @ 8:30. I give him a bath every other night, otherwise just change him into PJ's/new diaper. Sing to him for a little while in a dark room in the glider and into bed he goes. He wakes at 12:30-1am for a feeding then back to bed until 6-7am, then I feed him and put him down until 9am. 

Before this he was waking at like 11pm and 3am, so I guess he transitioned himself into just 1 meal at night. I kept thinking I had to do a lot to make this 2 meal to 1 meal transition happen and when I stopped freaking out about it, he did it on his own. I seems like babies know what's up....haha 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"