1st Trimester

concerned about painkillers

So I know the best thing to do is not take anything during pregnancy, but I must be honest, I suffer from severe muscle spasms in my neck and back. To the point that I have been hospitalized because of it. I've eaten one painkiller a week for the last 3 weeks when I feel a flare up coming and it helps, but now i'm freaking out. Don't know if I'm feeling flare ups from stress or whatever but I'm about 9 weeks preggo. My doctor is well aware of my spasms and told me I could take tylenol and warm compress, but that honestly does not cut it. I have had no other meds other than that. I have been stretching and plan on going to chiro and massage therapy so that I do not have to continue to take those. I guess my question is whether or not those could have done any damage to the baby??? I've read that people have taken them etc, but now i'm totally freaked out. I rather just deal with the pain than have something happen. Please help. Also, if you are going to be rude or judgemental, please don't reply. Thanks

Re: concerned about painkillers

• I would trust your doctor.  I was having severe headaches and back pain and my OB prescribed Tylenol with Codeine.  Maybe you should seek a second opinion, but please, don't trust the Bump over your doctor when it comes to something like this.  
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• No tylenol because I know that it doesn't work for me. I have prescribed medication for what I have, so I just took that. I haven't taken ANYTHING else and have been diligent about eating well and working out etc. I can't tell you the pain and fear about going through a full blown spasm attack. I can feel them coming on, so I've taken one percocet over three weeks, so three total. I had read that acetominophene (sp?) is safe which is what is in tylenol, so that's why I took the perc, but I know they are much stronger and prob have other things in it. I did talk to my doc, but like i said tylenol  doesn't work. Hopefully, everything will be fine. I'm so freaked out, I'd rather just deal than be stressing if it's harming the baby. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It sounds like you spoke to your doctor but don't want to listen to what he/she said so you are looking to us for approval of what you've already decided to do.  I don't think you are going to get it.

Your post is very contradictory, you say you would rather deal with the pain then hurt the baby but you also say you don't want to have a full blown attack so you took the perc, so which is it?

FYI, eating well and working out is not going to counteract any harm the Percocet could do, so please don't try to justify it that way. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• You will have to talk to your OB about this. Tell him that Tylenol does not work and see what else he can give you.

• DEAR LIZ4444: And I guess you must have special needs since you can't read. I asked if your going to be rude or judgemental not to reply. I'm not trying to justify anything, I am opening up my life to complete strangers (and rude strangers) such as yourself. You may want to go back and re-read both my posts. I stated that my doctor ok'd tylenol, but that does not work for me, so instead of taking tylenol all day for a week, I took one percocet. I assumed it would be ok. I have only been to one doctor's appointment and it was not a drawn out conversation as we were there for my first U/S.

Also, of course after i took it, I feel guilty and stressed, which is why i'm stating that I'd rather just deal than to take ANYTHING at all (including tylenol). I'm not looking for "the bumb's" approval on anything, especially yours. I can and will do whatever I feel like doing, but thanks for the permission. 

My concern/question was to anyone that has similar medical issues or has taken similar medications. SO if you are not one of them, then STFU!!!!

Thanks and have an excellent day:) Hugs and kisses. 

• no not yet, my next appt is in a few weeks. Will def let him know what I took so he can check our whatever he needs to. Not taking anything until I speak with him. Dumb to assume it was as safe as tylenol. Now, i'm just getting paranoid. THanks for the advice:))))
  • @ Joy2611- no not yet, my next appt is in a few weeks. Will def let him know what I took so he can check out whatever he needs to. Not taking anything anymore until I speak with him. Dumb to assume it was as safe as tylenol. Now, i'm just getting paranoid. THanks for the advice:))))
  • Op, you are the one being rude. Your original post was confusing, and it sounded like your doctor said to take Tylenol, and you took one a week, and it wasn't working. You didn't mention to other drug you were taking.
    I think people are baffled that someone would take such a strong medication, without medical guidance, assuming it was safe. I have neither of those drugs on my country, but I'm assuming the Tylenol is like Panadol, and I would never assume any other drug was similar eg Panadol is given to babies, I doubt the other drug you took would be. I'm sure you haven't harmed your baby, please don't take anymore. Everyone here is just shocked I think, and also we are not doctors, so getting us to ok a strong drug as being safe for you, is very inappropriate and dangerous.
  • imagesucia:
    DEAR LIZ4444: And I guess you must have special needs since you can't read. I asked if your going to be rude or judgemental not to reply. I'm not trying to justify anything, I am opening up my life to complete strangers and rude strangers such as yourself. You may want to go back and reread both my posts. I stated that my doctor ok'd tylenol, but that does not work for me, so instead of taking tylenol all day for a week, I took one percocet. I assumed it would be ok. I have only been to one doctor's appointment and it was not a drawn out conversation as we were there for my first U/S. Also, of course after i took it, I feel guilty and stressed, which is why i'm stating that I'd rather just deal than to take ANYTHING at all including tylenol. I'm not looking for "the bumb's" approval on anything, especially yours. I can and will do whatever I feel like doing, but thanks for the permission.nbsp;My concern/question was to anyone that has similar medical issues or has taken similar medications. SO if you are not one of them, then STFU!!!! nbsp;nbsp;Thanks and have an excellent day: Hugs and kisses.nbsp;

Aw, a newbie trying to change the Internet... How sweet. FYI, I was not rude, I told you to ask your doctor, you seemed to not like that advice. When you ask a question online, not everyone is going to blow smoke up your butt and tell you what you want to hear. Don't like it? Don't post. Easy as that.

• You should call your doctor and discuss your pain. Oxycodone is a cat B drug, not C. Percocet is oxycodone 5mg and acetaminophen (Tylenol). You have not likely caused any harm to your baby by taking one.

Obviously it is best to avoid narcotics, especially in the first trimester, but if you are having uncontrolled pain, please call your doctor and let them know. As that can cause high blood pressure and other issues that are not good for you or your baby. 

And as the others said, dr. google and random people on here is not the best place for advice. With that said, I prescribe medications, and you should try not to worry, your baby should be fine from 1 oxycodone. But, please call your doctor or NP before you take any more.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagesucia:
    DEAR LIZ4444: And I guess you must have special needs since you can't read. I asked if your going to be rude or judgemental not to reply. I'm not trying to justify anything, I am opening up my life to complete strangers and rude strangers such as yourself. You may want to go back and reread both my posts. I stated that my doctor ok'd tylenol, but that does not work for me, so instead of taking tylenol all day for a week, I took one percocet. I assumed it would be ok. I have only been to one doctor's appointment and it was not a drawn out conversation as we were there for my first U/S. Also, of course after i took it, I feel guilty and stressed, which is why i'm stating that I'd rather just deal than to take ANYTHING at all including tylenol. I'm not looking for "the bumb's" approval on anything, especially yours. I can and will do whatever I feel like doing, but thanks for the permission.nbsp;My concern/question was to anyone that has similar medical issues or has taken similar medications. SO if you are not one of them, then STFU!!!! nbsp;nbsp;Thanks and have an excellent day: Hugs and kisses.nbsp;

Yeah this will get you no help. I agree with Liz.

You can't tell people how to respond on a public forum.

It's obvious you will do whatever you want and you really don't actually care about your baby. Otherwise you would have followed your doctor's advice and/or been up front with them about medications you are taking.

I have chronic, acute and severe back pain from injuries. My OB and my orthopedic work together to help me with my pain management. They've given the green light to take a low dose viocodin as needed. I only take it at night if I'm in absolute agony. Even then I cut the pill into quarters [as instructed] and take the bare minimum.

That is my experience.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Please STOP taking drugs not approved by your OB until you call and discuss it with them. As you said you would rather cope with the pain than risk hurting your LO. 
  • I'm confused too... Did you tell your doc Tylenol doesn't help you? Why wouldn't you mention this and ask about continuing Percocet?

Also, we aren't medical professionals, and those of us who aren't likely to give medical advice without knowing history.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickersimage
  • Ask your doctor.

Ask your doctor.

Ask your doctor.

Percoset 1x a week =/= Tylenol 5x a week. Duh. Or your doctor would have told you to take Percoset in the first place.

Ask your doctor.

Team Liz.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemabenner1:

Ask your doctor.

Ask your doctor.

Ask your doctor.

Percoset 1x a week =/= Tylenol 5x a week. Duh. Or your doctor would have told you to take Percoset in the first place.

Ask your doctor.

Team Liz.

Yes

Also, for those interested in the poster's SN:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sucia

Just sayin'.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I agree that you need to speak w your doctor I am prescribed Vicodin for migraines and I was not able to take it during my last pregnancy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Team dirty girl! JK. Team Liz
  • Team Liz all the way. OP is just ignorant!
  • You can't dictate how people respond to you ... just sayin'.

Ok, so I understand you have a medical condition and it causes you some anxiety.  However, if you're going to continue to take a prescription narcotic without the consent or knowledge of your OB, then you need to read up on the risks associated with it and your unborn child.  If those are the risks you're willing to take, then keep on doing whatever you want.

I can't imagine any woman on this board giving you the green light to continue to take this medication.  You need to have this conversation with your doctor ... not a bunch of Internet strangers.  Geez.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• I read this as you knew you could be causing damage to your baby but took the pills anyways and NOW you want reassurance that nothing will go wrong?  OP, no one can give you that reassurance.  You shouldn't have risked it to begin with.

Also it strikes me funny that you have an injury that gets you prescribed these drugs readily and your OB doesn't know about it.  Just sayin

P.S. Team Liz

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Aw, thanks ladies... I have warm fuzzies! I'm making up Team Liz tshirts for everyone!

• imagesucia:
    So I know the best thing to do is not take anything during pregnancy, but I must be honest, I suffer from severe muscle spasms in my neck and back. To the point that I have been hospitalized because of it. I've eaten one painkiller a week for the last 3 weeks when I feel a flare up coming and it helps, but now i'm freaking out. Don't know if I'm feeling flare ups from stress or whatever but I'm about 9 weeks preggo. My doctor is well aware of my spasms and told me I could take tylenol and warm compress, but that honestly does not cut it. I have had no other meds other than that. I have been stretching and plan on going to chiro and massage therapy so that I do not have to continue to take those. I guess my question is whether or not those could have done any damage to the baby??? I've read that people have taken them etc, but now i'm totally freaked out. I rather just deal with the pain than have something happen. Please help. Also, if you are going to be rude or judgemental, please don't reply. Thanks

We found out I was pregnant on my way to get my second MRI. I have a herniated disk in my spine, and my legs and hands go numb sometimes. I'm in constant pain. However, the DR told me to pretty much deal with the pain cuz of the baby. I was on numerous relaxers and pain killers, and he said no to all of them!
    The baby is the most important right now. Be careful. I do feel your pain though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just an FYI for everyone, I'm not TAKING, I took the painkiller. And I'm not a regular user either which is why it wasn't discussed at the initial meeting. If I was, I probably wouldn't be concerned. I was in pain, I took it and that was that. As for my Dr. It was a quick convo that he brought up. He handed me over a list of meds and said, "ok, let's get started" The first thing on my mind wasn't whether or not I can take painkillers, I was honestly more excited about my u/s, not discussing whether or not I can take painkillers since I don't take them regularly anyway. It is not chronic, but acute. Anything can bring on a flare up including stress.

SO, I will state AGAIN, I'm not a regular user of any drugs including the tylenol (which I stated, and will state again does not work for me WHEN having a flare up). I have actually been in the ER due to it. I'm not some drug addict. I freaked out afterwards and wanted immediate feedback from others, which is why I posted on here. Just like others have posted about antidepressants, benzos, drinking, smoking, caffeine, listeria, and a million other not so great things for you while preggo. I wanted to hear from other pregnant women that my have taken similar medications. I didn't come on here to hear that it's OK to take narcotics which is what Liz implied and why it upset me. I'm quite aware that it's best to not take anything.

Funny how you all jumped on me and insult me for responding in not the best way, but your doing the same thing, calling me names and saying things about my unborn child. I would never say anything about anyone's child or pregnancy. That should be off limits, always. All women do is drag each other down. Sadly, this is not the first post that I have read that people are rude and nasty, which is why I initially requested for those people not to reply. 

***On a side note, my user name was a joke when I signed up for the knot over 5 years ago and didn't realize that it would be a username, I thought it would be a password, (trust me I have tried to change it) but thanks again for the side bar comment. 

Good luck to all of you with your pregnancies and may God bless you all. (not being sarcastic) 

• imagesucia:

Just an FYI for everyone, I'm not TAKING, I took the painkiller. And I'm not a regular user either which is why it wasn't discussed at the initial meeting. If I was, I probably wouldn't be concerned. I was in pain, I took it and that was that. As for my Dr. It was a quick convo that he brought up. He handed me over a list of meds and said, "ok, let's get started" The first thing on my mind wasn't whether or not I can take painkillers, I was honestly more excited about my u/s, not discussing whether or not I can take painkillers since I don't take them regularly anyway. It is not chronic, but acute. Anything can bring on a flare up including stress.

SO, I will state AGAIN, I'm not a regular user of any drugs including the tylenol (which I stated, and will state again does not work for me WHEN having a flare up). I have actually been in the ER due to it. I'm not some drug addict. I freaked out afterwards and wanted immediate feedback from others, which is why I posted on here. Just like others have posted about antidepressants, benzos, drinking, smoking, caffeine, listeria, and a million other not so great things for you while preggo. I wanted to hear from other pregnant women that my have taken similar medications. I didn't come on here to hear that it's OK to take narcotics which is what Liz implied and why it upset me. I'm quite aware that it's best to not take anything.

Funny how you all jumped on me and insult me for responding in not the best way, but your doing the same thing, calling me names and saying things about my unborn child. I would never say anything about anyone's child or pregnancy. That should be off limits, always. All women do is drag each other down. Sadly, this is not the first post that I have read that people are rude and nasty, which is why I initially requested for those people not to reply. 

***On a side note, my user name was a joke when I signed up for the knot over 5 years ago and didn't realize that it would be a username, I thought it would be a password, (trust me I have tried to change it) but thanks again for the side bar comment. 

Good luck to all of you with your pregnancies and may God bless you all. (not being sarcastic) 

Um, I believe you started the name calling first. And no one said anything about your unborn child. You're the one blowing this way out of proportion. Instead of asking a bunch of internet strangers, I'll say it again -- go call your doctor. I find it rather amusing that you posed a question, didn't get the feedback you wanted, started name calling, and really back tracked on what you originally said. If you think your three time Percocet use was no big deal, why are you so worried about what we think? 

TTC #3

• imagencchnat:
    imageaessary03:

Um, I believe you started the name calling first. And no one said anything about your unborn child. You're the one blowing this way out of proportion. Instead of asking a bunch of internet strangers, I'll say it again -- go call your doctor. I find it rather amusing that you posed a question, didn't get the feedback you wanted, started name calling, and really back tracked on what you originally said. If you think your three time Percocet use was no big deal, why are you so worried about what we think? 

To be fair, I did bring up her unborn child, but my exact words were:

"Please grow up before your child is born. He or she is going to need a good role model."

I still stand by those words. Anyone who thinks it's okay to use "special needs" or the "r" word as insults seriously needs to grow up and realign their thinking. 

I don't find that insulting .... it wasn't wishing ill on her unborn child ..... it was telling her to act like an adult.  I don't find that offensive at all. 

And I agree with the special needs statement.  That was totally uncalled for.

TTC #3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"