Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Vacation with or without LO?

Do any of you have vacation plans for this summer? If so, are you going with or without your kids? 

My husband and I would like to plan a vacation for this summer. Right now, we're trying to decide whether we should attempt to bring LO (who will be just over a year old) or leave him with either set of grandparents.

DH would rather not bring LO. He feels that LO will be too young to enjoy the trip anyway, and if we bring him, then we'll probably too busy taking care of him to actually enjoy ourselves. And yeah, both of those things are probably true. But I'm not sure we have a choice. Both sets of grandparents have said they will watch LO, but DH's parents are really busy this summer (thereby limiting when we could actually take a trip) and my parents are nervous about watching LO for more than one night.

And the thing is, while I agree that DH and I will have more fun if we are baby-free, I'm not sure we should spent 4-5 days away from our son. We have done one night away, here and there, and that's always gone fine, but four nights might be too much for everyone involved.

So I could really use some outside thoughts here. For those of you who have gone on vacation with a with a one-year-old, where did you go? How did you manage it?  FOr those of you who took vacations without your one-year-old, how did you manage that? Would you recommend it? 

Re: Vacation with or without LO?

• I wouldn't take a vacation without my kids.  We went to the beach when DD#1 was 1.5.  It was fun to see her in the sand, ocean, pool. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have not taken a vacation without DD, but when she was 11mo we went to San Antonio for a week.  We took her to the zoo and Sea World.  She had a blast at Sea World, watched the dolphins, got to meet Cookie Monster, it was great.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMelRC117:

We have gone a four night getaway and I really, REALLY missed LO.  I was ready to go home on day 3.  At the same time, the amount of adult time was GREAT.  I wouldn't have wanted to bring LO (who was around 9 months old at the time) because the purpose of the trip was for a...GI Joe Convention.  (Yes, I know...for my H).

I guess I'm not ready for a trip with LO and having to plan out food and naps, etc.  I don't even know where we would go.  We will take short day trips here and there and I imagine our first big vacation will be Disneyworld.

P.S. Love your son's name BTW!

Thanks! "Eli" is a great name, too--it was on my list!

Also, re: the GI Joe convention, our husbands should totally hang out... 

• Could you take LO but find a babysitting service that will take LO for a few hours a day? I know lots of resorts and hotels do that. If that's not possible, then I'd go without LO - it's only 4 days. I don't think I'd go longer than that though.

We took LO to Hawaii when he was 6 months and he had a blast. It did limit what we were able to do and in a way was stressful, but I still liked it. This summer we are going to do 6 days with LO and then leaving him with the grandparents and go on our own for 3 days. 

• Right now we are trying to do 3 trips a year. One with us and LO, one just DH and I, and one with family and friends.
  • I feel that if you have children that is a decision you made so you need to take your children with you. With that said we aren't doing a big vacation this summer just a nice long weekend away at the lake. Once DD gets a little bit older we will start doing more traveling with DD like we used to do before she was born.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • It's okay to have adult weekend getaways or vacations. Your marriage/partnership comes first so you can have a strong relationship to be there for your kids. Maybe do a weekend away with hubby somewhere not child appropriate and another with baby that's family friendly 
  • alakealake member
    We started Summer Vacation Friday.  My parents and I flew home to Canada (I live in Florida, they came to help us fly home) with my five kids.  We are spending the time at our cottage for the summer, but taking a trip to Italy in July, with 17 people, most of them being under the age of 8.  My kids fly often.  My 9 month old, this was her fifteenth international flight, since five weeks.
  • imageNicb13:
    For me personally, I had a child so that he could come with us when we do things, ,especially vacations. Of course it would be easier without a child but to me, I'd rather have DS there or not go at all.

I agree
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD has gone with us on all our trips expect for our one night away which was purposefully planned without baby.

Most recently we went to Hawaii. We hired a nanny through a local nanny service for three days, about 6 hours each day, so that DH and I could get away on our own. Incidentally, we also rented several baby items (crib, jogging stroller, highchair) so that we wouldn't have to lug our stroller or PNP with us on the flights.  We are ALL about convenience. :)

I know DD won't remember but she was so freaking adorable on that beach and she just loved it.

So that worked out perfectly for us.

• imagejroth33470:
    It's okay to have adult weekend getaways or vacations. Your marriage/partnership comes first so you can have a strong relationship to be there for your kids. Maybe do a weekend away with hubby somewhere not child appropriate and another with baby that's family friendly 

this!  We just got back from a weekend away without LO.  I missed her but didn't worry about her since I knew she was in great hands with my mom.  It was so nice for DH and I to have some "us" time.  We have a few family trips planned this summer as well.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our guy isn't 1 yet (almost there), but we've done both.  We've taken 3 trips so far with him, and 1 without.  The one without was a wedding for very dear friends in Cancun that we knew about before the pregnancy, so we had looked to it as our first "mommy/daddy alone time."  Of course we missed him, but we also recognized that taking him with us would have made it a very different vacation (saw plenty of families at the resort to confirm that).  My parents watched him for that one, and my mother just asked that she watch him once or twice overnight beforehand to feel comfortable with it.  

The vacations with him have also been good.  While he may be too young to really remember it, it's still fun to have him along.  He is always observing and learning, after all. And we get some fun family time we wouldn't necessarily have at home.

• We just went on a trip this past week. We brought both kids and had such a good time!

I love taking the kids on vacation with us, but I can also see how you could want just an adult vacation too.  When ds#1 was 18 months old, dh and I went on a cruise without him.  We had an amazing time (I missed him of course).

I say...do whatever you want.  There is no right or wrong. 

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"