January 2013 Moms

Unpopular Opinion Thursday

We almost missed this. Come on, ladies. We have a few more hours left until Friday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

I don't care if Cole sees TV. It will be monitored and limited just like it is for my toddler, but I think that all other aspects of my parenting will outweigh a little bit of TV in the background. 

Red wine is good room temperature OR chilled.  

I don't like air conditioning in my home. We will use it on the hottest of hot days because of the babies, but I prefer to use ceiling fans and open windows.

I could care less when Kate Middleton has her baby, what sex the baby is, and what she names it. That basically goes for any celebrity. I just don't see why people get so excited. If I am going to get excited for a pregnancy, it will be for friends or family.  

I hope that no one buys my son toys for his birthday. We are over-run by toys right now. I will probably write something on the invitation about bringing an item for the food pantry instead. Or something like that. It's not that I don't want him to have new things, but I would rather just buy him new art supplies, books, etc than have people waste their money on things that will sit in a toy box.  I would rather them spend their money on people that need it more than my kids. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thursday

• Ooh yay! I am in!

I think that if you are able to DTD and don't have any medical reason not to that you need to get your post partum freak on at least once a week. It is healthy and important and even if I am gross and exhausted it keeps me from feeling like a roommate or just a mom. I side eye the people that go months without unless you have a fabulous reason.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMason&Mama:

I don't care if Cole sees TV. It will be monitored and limited just like it is for my toddler, but I think that all other aspects of my parenting will outweigh a little bit of TV in the background.

I could care less when Kate Middleton has her baby, what sex the baby is, and what she names it. That basically goes for any celebrity. I just don't see why people get so excited. If I am going to get excited for a pregnancy, it will be for friends or family.  

Both of these 100%

Along the same lines as the TV I don't mind if DS is around me using my computer. He's very interested in it (as kids are interested in what their parents do) so I've turned it into a supervised toy with the game Baby Smash. He has a blast! I'm going to be one of those moms that gets a baby proof case for her smartphone or Kindle and lets her kid play games on it. He won't be a zombie kid walking around with a DS in his face all day but I believe technology should be a part of his childhood because it sure is going to be a part of his adulthood!

• Loading the player...
  • imagekittynap:
    imagespainy17:
    Ooh yay! I am in!

I think that if you are able to DTD and don't have any medical reason not to that you need to get your post partum freak on at least once a week. It is healthy and important and even if I am gross and exhausted it keeps me from feeling like a roommate or just a mom. I side eye the people that go months without unless you have a fabulous reason.

You'd be side eyeing the hell out of me. I'm a sex camel. I could go years without. Luckily I have some sympathy for DH and DTD every once in a while.

Yeah , I'll be 44 next month amd jusr had a baby and sex is just not so high on my agenda as it was a decade or so ago. We're aiming for once a month.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't get the sleep training hype. It seems to cause everyone so much stress, parents and babies included. I enjoy having a snugly baby in the bed with us. We're one and done so I'm just enjoying her baby phase, and fine with her interrupting my sleep for a few months. She'll adjust down the line when the time is right.
  • imageReeceFamily:
    I don't get the sleep training hype. It seems to cause everyone so much stress, parents and babies included. I enjoy having a snugly baby in the bed with us. We're one and done so I'm just enjoying her baby phase, and fine with her interrupting my sleep for a few months. She'll adjust down the line when the time is right.
    I did not sleep train either of my kids 9 13 and they sttn and are fine. To each their own....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Paige 8/5/99, Kara 7/22/03 and Benjamin 1/19/13

10 losses 1996-1998, 2 losses 2001-2002, 3 losses 2010-2012, loss 1/2014
  • I can't get into Doctor Who. At all.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I haven't slept in the same bed as my SO since Lincoln was born - I keep telling him I will come back when LO turns 6 months. In all honesty, I just don't want to sleep with him, he's been getting on my nerves a ton lately.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBrendamndz:
    I wish summer was over already. I'm ready for fall, pumpkin spice lattes, scarfs and Christmas shopping!

This! Minus Christmas shopping. It's already getting way too hot here and Fall is my favorite season!

Also, I think buying a lot of toys for DS is kind of a waste right now.  I'm going to wait until he is a little older so he can enjoy them more than just putting them in his mouth.

imageimageimage
  • JJsMumJJsMum member

imagekittynap:
    imagespainy17:
    Ooh yay! I am in! I think that if you are able to DTD and don't have any medical reason not to that you need to get your post partum freak on at least once a week. It is healthy and important and even if I am gross and exhausted it keeps me from feeling like a roommate or just a mom. I side eye the people that go months without unless you have a fabulous reason.
    You'd be side eyeing the hell out of me. I'm a sex camel. I could go years without. Luckily I have some sympathy for DH and DTD every once in a while.

I'm totally with you on this one.  Before kids Dh and I were at least once a week.  Now, we're lucky to have our energy levels line up more than once a month!  It's both of us though.  It's not like DH wants it more but I'm denying him.  There are times that I'm in the mood, but he just isn't and vice versa.  It wasn't until DS#1 was about 7 or 8 months that things started getting back to normal with us, and I suspect it'll be that way again.  Between 2 kids at home and my husbands busy work day, it's just not as huge a priority.  We spend plenty of time cuddling and having couple time after the kids go dow though.

Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• imagespainy17:
    Ooh yay! I am in! I think that if you are able to DTD and don't have any medical reason not to that you need to get your post partum freak on at least once a week. It is healthy and important and even if I am gross and exhausted it keeps me from feeling like a roommate or just a mom. I side eye the people that go months without unless you have a fabulous reason.

Eh. I'm not bothered by this judging but I'm definitely not DTD once a week. Ha. More like once a month. I'm frickin tired. My 2 year old is driving me nuts, the baby won't nap, and I only have parenting help from 5:30-7pm every day from DH. During the hour or so that both kids are (hopefully asleep) and DH and I are alone, we stare vacantly into space and hope no one starts crying. We'll work on talking and eventually get back in our groove, but right now, hanky panky just isn't my top priority. Mama needs a vacation, and a drink.

• imageReeceFamily:
    I don't get the sleep training hype. It seems to cause everyone so much stress, parents and babies included. I enjoy having a snugly baby in the bed with us. We're one and done so I'm just enjoying her baby phase, and fine with her interrupting my sleep for a few months. She'll adjust down the line when the time is right.

Well..... that's because your baby is (mostly) sleeping. Stick out tongue I'm not thinking about STing right now because DD2 is a decent sleeper. With DD1 she was exhausted constantly, never napped, and spent most of the night crying in my arms because she couldn't fall asleep. She woke up every 45 min- an hour for weeks. So, I had to worry about STing because the lack of sleep was killing us all. I don't judge anyone for worrying about sleep. Seriously, sleep crap with DD1 was more stressful for me than watching my husband go through chemo, or losing my house to a natural disaster. Not exaggerating. It was AWFUL. I have no problem doing a few MOTN feedings, but many babies are starting to really struggle with sleep around 4/5 months and parents are trying to fix it before it gets worse.

• UO: I don't buy into 'wonder weeks'.  I think people use it as an excuse for a baby acting like a baby (ie - unpredictable).  And I have heard just about every week from 6 weeks on being termed a 'wonder week'. 
  • imageolivesyou1:
    UO: I don't buy into 'wonder weeks'.  I think people use it as an excuse for a baby acting like a baby (ie - unpredictable).  And I have heard just about every week from 6 weeks on being termed a 'wonder week'. 

If you've heard about every week from 6 months on being a wonder week you're confused on what wonder weeks are.  They're like mental growth spurts.  Do you think physical growth spurts are bunk too? 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imageBrendamndz:
    I wish summer was over already. I'm ready for fall, pumpkin spice lattes, scarfs and Christmas shopping!

You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!  

It just warmed up!!!! 

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagesbevmc09:

imageolivesyou1:
    UO: I don't buy into 'wonder weeks'.  I think people use it as an excuse for a baby acting like a baby (ie - unpredictable).  And I have heard just about every week from 6 weeks on being termed a 'wonder week'. 

If you've heard about every week from 6 months on being a wonder week you're confused on what wonder weeks are.  They're like mental growth spurts.  Do you think physical growth spurts are bunk too? 

I said I've heard everything from 6 weeks on being a wonder week.  Like 'my child is x weeks and is not eating as much as they did last week'.  No matter what x is, someone is going to chime in and say 'It could be wonder week x'.  I don't think physical growth spurts are bunk.  I don't think mental growth spurts are bunk either, but this whole 'wonder week' concept sounds like something made up.

• imagesbevmc09:

imageBrendamndz:

You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!  

It just warmed up!!!! 

This made me seriously LOL! :)

I'm sorry to say I'm with Brenda on this one. Tired of the 100 degree weather and looking forward to Fall already. Of course I would feel different if I was in an area that had to deal with freezing temps and snow for as long as some of you ladies have. I'm glad you're finally seeing some sun. :)

• ta78ta78 member
    imageolivesyou1:
    imagesbevmc09:

imageolivesyou1:

I said I've heard everything from 6 weeks on being a wonder week.  Like 'my child is x weeks and is not eating as much as they did last week'.  No matter what x is, someone is going to chime in and say 'It could be wonder week x'.  I don't think physical growth spurts are bunk.  I don't think mental growth spurts are bunk either, but this whole 'wonder week' concept sounds like something made up.

Maybe if you actually looked into it, you'd see it is not made up. Babies are unpredictable because they do so much growing, physically and mentally, and react accordingly. DD is pretty predictable when she isn't going through a spurt. Some of the wonder weeks do last a few weeks and can vary a week early or late.. so yeah, it can seem like the term is used a lot.

And whoever it was that said they dont want to sleep in the same bed as your H anymore... you guys might want to try couples therapy.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• imageIncogNeato:

imageReeceFamily:

Well..... that's because your baby is (mostly) sleeping. Stick out tongue I'm not thinking about STing right now because DD2 is a decent sleeper. With DD1 she was exhausted constantly, never napped, and spent most of the night crying in my arms because she couldn't fall asleep. She woke up every 45 min- an hour for weeks. So, I had to worry about STing because the lack of sleep was killing us all. I don't judge anyone for worrying about sleep. Seriously, sleep crap with DD1 was more stressful for me than watching my husband go through chemo, or losing my house to a natural disaster. Not exaggerating. It was AWFUL. I have no problem doing a few MOTN feedings, but many babies are starting to really struggle with sleep around 4/5 months and parents are trying to fix it before it gets worse.

I totally get how sleep deprivation can be horrible, and I do see how parents would need to look for solutions in that case!  What bugs me is the obsession for infants to STTN just for the sake of STTN, or because a book told them their infant should STTN.  In reality, a breast fed baby is going to wake up and eat at night for the first year.  If they are up every hour and your family is going to self-destruct, then, yes, by all means, sleep training.  But if your baby is waking once per night to eat...that seems normal and even healthy to me. 

• imageolivesyou1:
    imagesbevmc09:

imageolivesyou1:

Sorry, I meant to say weeks, not months.  

I was going to type out a whole response explaining it, but if you're interested in learning more there's plenty of info out there.

Wonder Weeks = mental growth spurts.  It's just the term coined by the authors of a book that discuss the spurts in depth.  It sounds like you acknowledge mental growth spurts, but for some reason disagree with the terminology.  

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"