April 2013 Moms

Anyone else not losing weight BFing?

I'm beginning to think that breastfeeding helping with PP weight loss is a myth. I wasn't expecting the weight to magically fall off, but almost 9 weeks in, all I've lost are pounds from water retention (and that was within the first week).  Nothing since. I've been eating healthy and just got cleared for exercise (I had a CS), so maybe things will pick up once I get into working out again? It's just pretty frustrating. 
BabyFetus Ticker image

Re: Anyone else not losing weight BFing?

• Same here. I'm holding onto 20/25 pounds since losing a bunch of water weight initially. I also had a c-section, so I haven't done much other than walking around the neighborhood, and that's been inconsistent. I'm feeling back to normal now, so I need to get myself motivated to get working out. I bought new tennis shoes last night, so hopefully that'll motivate me to get moving! :) GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Once you start moderate to intense workouts more than 3 times a week and eat clean, then you'll lose weight
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • I have only lost 3 lb since my 2wk PP checkup. I've heard "nine months on, nine months off. It just takes time.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • 9 months on, 9 months off
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I lost about 18 pounds in the first few weeks but am hanging onto the last 14. I'm not quite 8 weeks pp and just getting back into working out, so I'm hoping that will help me shed the pounds.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageYellowLilies:

imageRussianMommy:
    Once you start moderate to intense workouts more than 3 times a week and eat clean, then you'll lose weight

The problem with this is that some folks (me included) are very sensitive to working out and will lose ounces once we begin working out moderately.  If I do more than a brisk 30 minute walk I lose ounces.  Eating clean won't help with weight loss unless you are also eating less calories and often eating less calories means your supply will dip.

For many people, at least some of the weight will stay until they wean. It's just their body's way to ensure it is able to continue to make milk for the baby.

OP- I had a horrible time losing the baby weight after DS was born.  It was so frustrating but I did end up losing it after I weaned (at 11 months).

With DD my weight fell right off so I expected the same thing with DS and was so frustrated when it didn't happen that way.  This time (baby #3) I didn't gain much due to pregnancy complication so weight loss is not an issue other than I'd like to get to a healthier weight in general and tone up a bit.

You lose ounces when you walk the 30 minutes because that is water weight coming off. While it is true your supply dips if you cut the calories, upping your water, and cutting about 200-300 calories during the day will not drastically cut your supply. 

Eating clean does help you lose the weight because if you eat nothing but carbohydrates and sugar the excess amount feeds your fatty cells, your fatty cells love to hold on to carbs more than anything because it is sugar and it fuels your brain. Trust me, it is damn hard to eat more than 1500 calories when you are on a ketosis diet. Which I do. (Less than 20g of carbs a day) I eat nothing but fatty meats, cheeses, dairy (except milk because of the carbs in milk), and vegetables. No/limited fruits and no breads what so ever. After my body went into ketosis I swear I had to stuff my face with steak and broccoli every hour just to get up to 1800 calories. I know ketosis is for epilepsy, I don't have it, but it helped me to lose 120lbs initially.

Your weight fluctuates every single day, which is why it is better to weigh yourself once a week at the same time.

Anyways, I am still holding on to the weight as well. Though as a PP said, 9 months it took to get here... it can't come off over night.

• definitely not the only one, at my 6 week pp check up I had only lost like 15 lbs. with my first I lost 50 of the 60 lbs gained the first week she was born... I'm holding on to these extra 20 lbs like my life depended on it...
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Super frustrating. I gained 65 pounds dumb I know and lost 35 in two weeks. That's been it for the last 6 weeks now and I am less than pleased. I lost a lot with ds1 on ww so I will probably do that again in a few weeks.
  • I gained 12 lbs and lost 29 lbs 2 weeks PP. Haven't lost anymore!
  • imageRussianMommy:
    Once you start moderate to intense workouts more than 3 times a week and eat clean, then you'll lose weight

Wrong. Eating right and working out and not losing weight.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageYellowLilies:

I EP and it is more than a few ounces that I lose. When EPing, every ounce counts.

Everyone is different, so it is not fair to expect what works for you to work for everyone. SOme people are more sensitive to calorie cuts.

This time I was lucky. I only gained 4lbs and have lost 25 without trying. Last time it was a struggle and no matter what I did, I could not lose the weight.  The first time was the same as this time except that I gained more (gained 50, lost 50 within 3 months).  I would still like to lose another 10lbs but every time I cut out 200-300 calories I lose 10-20 ounces of breastmilk.  I'd rather hang onto the extra 10oz than risk having to give up providing BM for the baby.

While not everyone is the same, which I agree with. Eating healthier but the same amount of calories does help in losing the weight. A healthy meal with a good ratio of protein, carbs, and fats is far far better than a meal loaded with carbohydrates and sugars.

Breastmilk is also governed by how much fluids you take in too. So if you are losing a lot of water weight, you need to make sure you are drinking a substantial amount of water to counteract that.

• With DD I didn't lose the last 1520 til I weaned at 13 mo. Even though I was down to 1 feeding a day then I think my body held onto weight since I EBF the whole time in case I needed to make more. As soon as I stopped it fell off. Also hormones play a role. Everyone is different but no one told me you can hold onto weight from BFing.
  • I experienced very little weight loss with my ds and now experiencing very little weight loss with my dd. I'm hungry all the time and feel like I'm constantly eating but then again I feed my dd every 2 to 2 1/2 hours so she'll sleep through the night. But I'm really not worried about my weight this time around because with my ds when I started being concerned about my weight is when my supply took a steep nose dive. My current attitude is I only have this time to nurse my daughter and I have the rest of my life after that to get back into shape. So, I'm embracing my flabby body right now... and enjoying bonding with my dd while nursing her :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm in the same boat. Though I don't weigh myself, it is taking longer this time around to fit back in certain clothes. I don't get it. Moving into our new house has been one heIl of a workout and I thought for sure it'd help me get back to my old self (with wider hips - sigh) that much faster,
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I still haven't lost the baby weight from baby #1 (born August 2011). I haev been pregnant and BFing for the past 3 years. It's so insane. I am uncomfie in my body and really want to take the weight off. I feel for you all.
  • snok83snok83 member

I am EP but found that the majority of my weight loss (27 pounds) happened in the first few weeks.  Since then, I have plateaued and haven't lost any more weight.  It is frustrating since I still have another 15 pounds to lose.  I liked not being pregnant during the summer months but it sucks since I cannot fit into my old clothes.  Some of my old tops are too tight since BF and I am like 2 sizes bigger through the hips and thighs.  Frustrating since I don't want to stay this size but have to get some bigger clothes to get me through the hot summer months!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"