Breastfeeding

Do I need bigger bottles ever?

All our bottles are 4 or 5 oz sizes. I just assumed we'd need bigger bottles later on, but just read that baby's intake doesn't change much between 1 and 6 months, and that they start drinking LESS, not more at this age because of solids. Am I missing something, or does that mean our smaller bottles should be all we need? Does that mean the larger sizes are primarily for formula fed babies?
BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.

Re: Do I need bigger bottles ever?

• We've never used more than 4oz bottles, but that doesn't mean they haven't eaten more than that in one sitting -- heck, DD2 can put back 8oz during a single feeding (usually before bed). They're EBF -- but I EP, so they're completely bottle fed. We just only use 4oz bottles so we're not wasting -- if they want more, they get it -- in a different bottle.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    The most DS2 has ever taken in a bottle is 4.5oz.  We have platex drop-ins and Tommee Tippee that both hold arount 5oz max.  That's all we bought. LO is 8.5 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • imageAmyG*:
    yeah most breastfed babies never take in 8 oz at a time. that's an adult serving size! breastmilk changes in composition to meet baby's needs in less ounces than baby would take in of formula. Formula is stuck at 22 calories per ounce, but breastmilk varies from 15-40+ calories per ounce. Exclusive pumpers results may vary, as baby may take in more oz due to having the bottle rather than at the breast where milk becomes more and more calorie dense during the feeding.

To add to this (because it really covers everything) as a consideration - we did use the bigger (I think 9oz?) Tommee Tippee bottles, but still only filled them to 4oz.  The larger size of the bottles was convenient for defrosting my frozen milk.  I froze all my milk in 1 ounce sticks, so depending on age, I could just put 1-4 sticks in the bottle and let it defrost right there.  No leaking bags and easy to transport.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I only ever used the bigger bottles when I supplemented with formula. Or for pumping into. It may be good to have a few, but not more than that.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Every baby is different-- you definitely won't need bigger bottles for a while. So I wouldn't worry about it now!

If your baby turns out to prefer larger meals, you can get bigger bottles when the time comes.  As PPs said, a lot of BF babies don't need bigger bottles.

I ended up getting some around 6 months, but we mix and match between the 5oz and 9oz bottles-- my LO takes 6oz in the morning and 4oz in the afternoon.

• DD will drink 6 oz in the morning so I like the bigger bottles for those times. You don't need the 11 oz.

BabyFruit Ticker

• LO is 9.5 months and we are still using 5oz bottles. You can make it 6 if needed, but LO's bottles are only between 45oz.
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 13 month old boy has never taken more than 4 oz at a bottlefeeding.  He is a 25 lb growing boy & doing just fine...even though my MIL & mother have been trying to get me to go up to 8 oz bottles since he was like 3 mos old LOL.
    Blessed to be married to my best friend & so in love with our little man!!
    Mason Robert born 4/26/2012

Me:  31   DH:  35
    Unexplained Secondary Infertility
    TTC#2 since Spring 2014
    Clomid 50mg BFP 8/27/15, chemical pregnancy 8/30/15
    Clomid 100mg IUI #1 10/12/15....BFN.
    TTC Break until January 2016.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"