December 2013 Moms

Name Question

So... this is a bit premature since we have no idea the sex of our baby. But, the hubs and I finally found a boy name we agree on. Mikel.

Question: Is it common enough that you know how to pronounce it (Mi-kel)? Do you think people will think it's Mick-el (like "nickel")? My mom said it's just "Michael gone astray." lol

I have a name for a boy that I've been campaigning for all along. Denny. It's my grandparents' last name. We're extremely close and I'm not totally ready to give it up. But, DH isn't completely on board yet. 

This could all be for nothing b/c, of course, I could be having a girl. But, it's Friday and I'm trying to avoid the pile of work at my desk. Wink

ETA: Even though it's quite clear this is too unusual to plague my child with...here is the correct pronunciation. Skip to :13 to hear this guy introduce himself. lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLlKDX_T3J4 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Name Question

• MEP923MEP923 member
    I don't know anybody by the name so I am having trouble saying it. When I first saw it I pronounced it Mickel. So is it just pronounced Michael? I'm still not positive. Just be prepared for him (and you) to always have to pronounce his name correctly.

imageimage

• F47F47 member
    imagesuperspecialsnowflake:

I would assume it's pronounced Michael, and wonder why it wasn't just spelled the traditional way.

Is it pronounced mi-KEL? If so, that's not my style unless there's some ethnic connection in the family that warrants that pronunciation.  

Yes, mi-KEL. I couldn't figure out how to write it phonetically. I met someone by that name years ago through a friend which I think is when I first heard it. But, it's also the name of the lead singer of The Airborne Toxic Event, one of my favorite bands. So...I think it may seem more normal to me than most people. I wasn't sure, so that's why I asked. 

I don't want to plague my child with a difficult to pronounce name!

• Loading the player...
  • This is totally NMS - since you are putting it out there for opinions.

I still can't figure out how to pronounce it, perhaps it's reading comprehension on my part. Is it promounced like "Michael" or like "Mee-kell"? From the spelling it looks like it would be pronounced Michael, in which case why wouldn't you just spell it the traditional way? I'm not a fan of "unique" spellings really

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• imageF47:
    imagesuperspecialsnowflake:

I would assume it's pronounced Michael, and wonder why it wasn't just spelled the traditional way.

Is it pronounced mi-KEL? If so, that's not my style unless there's some ethnic connection in the family that warrants that pronunciation.  

Yes, mi-KEL. I couldn't figure out how to write it phonetically. I met someone by that name years ago through a friend which I think is when I first heard it. But, it's also the name of the lead singer of The Airborne Toxic Event, one of my favorite bands. So...I think it may seem more normal to me than most people. I wasn't sure, so that's why I asked. 

I don't want to plague my child with a difficult to pronounce name!

Yeah, based on the bolded this might not be the best name choice.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• F47F47 member

imageholly1416:
    This is totally NMS - since you are putting it out there for opinions.

I still can't figure out how to pronounce it, perhaps it's reading comprehension on my part. Is it promounced like "Michael" or like "Mee-kell"? From the spelling it looks like it would be pronounced Michael, in which case why wouldn't you just spell it the traditional way? I'm not a fan of "unique" spellings really

Yes, definitely want opinions. And definitely not a "unique spelling" of Michael. I'm with you on that. 

I'm finding already that it's probably too difficult to figure out. But it's pronounced mi-KEL. The "i" sound is the same as in the word "mitt" 

• Not a fan, sorry. I would just think that it was a weird spelling of Michael. I know you're pronouncing it differently, but even then it's still not my style at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wedding Countdown Ticker

imageimageimage
  • To me, it looks like the phonetic spelling of Mikhail, the Russian Michael.  So I would assume you are Russian and looking for an anglicized version of a Russian name.  But, as pp have said, if you are looking for a name that won't cause pronunciation trouble, this is probably not it. 

Edit: because I know Russian is speeled with an "a" not an "o"

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_bird2&T=t_b11&D=20131129&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Teddy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green
  • My husband has a name that people always mispronounce so he feels strongly about naming our child something that can't easily be screwed up.  He's rejecting several of my proposed names for that reason.  
  • I pronounced it like nickle in my mind.

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • Name your kid whatever you want. Every kid gets teased, but the ones with weird names get it worse. They also don't get personalized stuff from souvenir shops. What's wrong with Michael Denny Lastname? That's kinda cute :)
  • From personal experience I can tell you this is a BAD idea! My BIL is named Isac, looks like Isaac (like Sir. Isaac Newton) but it is not! It is pronounced Iss-Saak. It is an Arab name and my husband?s family is from Iraq but Isac was born here. He eventually got so tired of people calling him Isaac that by the time he was 15 if people said ?Is that pronounced Isaac? he would just say yes. I knew him for a year before I even knew his name was not really Isaac.

I thought your baby name would be pronounced Michel the second I looked at it so you run the chance that his name might just end up being Michel so if you don?t like the name  Michel maybe look somewhere else.

FYI- I personally love the name Denny!

Mom+Dad+Josie+May 2015=2 under 2!!!!  

• I actually like the name, but I think you're setting up the kid for a lifetime of mispronunciations and misspellings. My personal name test is "Will my kid be able to find a pen with his name on it at Christmas Tree Shops one day". 
  • F47F47 member

imageshansbury82:
    I actually like the name, but I think you're setting up the kid for a lifetime of mispronunciations and misspellings. My personal name test is "Will my kid be able to find a pen with his name on it at Christmas Tree Shops one day". 

Haha - I like this rule. However, if we go with Denny he probably won't find it either. But, at least there won't be a pronunciation issue there. 

Thanks everyone for the opinions! I'll try and let the hubby down easily...

• F47F47 member
    imageMamaHanna:

From personal experience I can tell you this is a BAD idea! My BIL is named Isac, looks like Isaac (like Sir. Isaac Newton) but it is not! It is pronounced Iss-Saak. It is an Arab name and my husband?s family is from Iraq but Isac was born here. He eventually got so tired of people calling him Isaac that by the time he was 15 if people said ?Is that pronounced Isaac? he would just say yes. I knew him for a year before I even knew his name was not really Isaac.

I thought your baby name would be pronounced Michel the second I looked at it so you run the chance that his name might just end up being Michel so if you don?t like the name  Michel maybe look somewhere else.

FYI- I personally love the name Denny!

Oh man...yeah, I definitely read that as Isaac. I knew that since I was familiar with the name Mikel I wouldn't be the best judge. Hence the question on here. Ah well...on the next.

• I know how to pronounce it correctly but unless you have some sort of ethnic connection to it, I would find it an odd choice. Not many people will ever get it. 
  • I would not pick a name you yourself can't be sure how to pronounce.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I saw it and tried to pronounce it, Mikel would rhyme with pickle... am I wrong?
  • F47F47 member

imageKKDRAGONFLY:
    I would not pick a name you yourself can't be sure how to pronounce.

Oh, I definitely know how to pronounce it. Hence the video in the original post as an audio aide for others. 

• F47F47 member

imageMrbatesisinnocent:
    If I saw it and tried to pronounce it, Mikel would rhyme with pickle... am I wrong?

lol. Yes, that's wrong. There is a video in the original post if you're curious. But, it's abundantly clear my question has been answered. It's a confusing name. I'm going to go ahead and note that. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"