Breastfeeding
Options

Daycare Feeding

My son started daycare about a month ago, and we are getting a lot of feedback from the daycare about the size of his feedings and the amount of BM that we are bringing. Everytime I pick him up, the afternoon girl makes a comment about how he needs more food. He gets 4 to 4.5 oz bottles. We currently send 1618 oz. of bm and and extra eight oz. Of formula. I started putting the formula in because I was not able to get twenty oz. of bm while pumping at work. I pump constantly at work to get the sixteen to eighteen he is already eating. He is there from 7 to 5 most days and is always bringing one formula bottle home.

I really just don't know what to do? This whole situation is making me feel bad. One for not being able to keep with supply, then for the fact that they are making me feel like I am starving my kid. DH is no help. He just wants to feed the baby and would have a bottle in his mouth all day if he could. Between this and pumping what seems like all day, I want to give up.
BabyName Ticker

Re: Daycare Feeding

• Options
    Wow. I send in 9 oz since I havent been able to get to 12 yet and ds at 3 months is only eating 9 to 12 ounces between 730 and 430....even on the days that hegot all formula when he first started nursing and I had no extra pumped.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options

Daycares do this all the time.  They are used to formula babies who have 8oz bottles, so whether or not your kid actually seems hungry, they decide you need bigger bottles.  My DS1 never took more than 4oz in a feeding.  I usually sent 3 bottles.  They don't understand that breastmilk naturally increases in calories per ounce, so he's getting enough calories.  Formula must increase in volume to increase calories.  Also, they probably force every drop into him.  Print this for them and just say no to providing more milk. 

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

And some reading:

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/employed-moms/childcare-breastfed-baby/

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageandreab7412:
    Its ok! Most daycares say this. My big guy has never taken more than 5 ounces at a time. Ever. At 11 months he still only takes 5 ounces. How old is lo? How close together are the bottles? Does he take a paci? At home how often do you nurse?

Lo is four months. He is getting bottles every two to two and a half hours. He does not take a paci. I nurse him when we get home and about two times before he is put to bed, once in MOTN and the in the morning one to two times.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto what has been said by everyone else! They are used to FF babies. Increasing the number of ounces or bottles is NOT always the solution for BF babies.

I also have a 4month old that doesn't take a paci either. I send 3 4oz bottles; he has been taking them for the last month at DC. I had an issue this week, where DC gave him 5 4oz bottles. They have some of my frozen milk, and I was extremely upset!!! I asked them why and requested they make some changes....mainly pausing during the bottles to slow it down and burp him. His issue was that he was gulping down the whole thing in minutes, and ended up spitting most of it up. Naturally, he would get hungry again shortly afterwards.

This is my second child, and I am much more confident that I am NOT starving my child. I know that I am still feeding him plenty of times at home too. He is gaining weight like its his job. I just don't want to waste my time pumping milk that is essentially being wasted.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My DS is 4 months and over 19lbs and I send 5 3 to 3.5 ounce bottles. One of them is an emergency bottle that he almost always has leftover. So he eats between 12 and 14 oz and he's there from 6:30 until 5:15.

It sounds to me like they are over feeding him. I only send what I pump and DS will make up for it with extra nursing sessions in the evening.
  • Options
    Do you supplement on weekends?  If he is driving your supply then you will pump about what he eats. Especially since he's eating a lot. I Agee with the others. My son is almost 11 months and rarely takes more than 4 oz
  • Options

I'm going thru a similar situation, except I can only send 12 oz. BM and then I send the forumla container - LO is 5 months (been in DC for about 3 months now) and I figured 12 oz. was enough, she's been feeding him 2 (8 oz.) bottles while in her care from 7:45-5:00 pm. We've argued many, many times about how BF babies eat differently than FF babies, she insists he 'screams' cause he's starving, I've given up at this point and just let her do what works for her, I've heard babies in DC can tend to eat more while out of your care though.

One thing that might help is to track all LO's feedings say, on the weekend and bring it with you to DC - show them exactly what he does while with you. Also, you can ask your Pedi what they think is the appropriate amount just for more proof of your LO's schedule, just a suggestion.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My lo is almost 4 months and only eats12 oz while at daycare. One work er told me she needed more so instead of 4 3oz bottles i sent 5 2 2.5oz bottles. She just need to eat more often. They were over feeding her each session because they were making her finish her bottle. I ep so i know my lo eat 26 oz in a 24 hour period so i knew she didnt need any more then 12 oz while i was at work.
  • Options
    At the risk of getting my head bitten off, here is my take. Some babies DO need more because it is a more stimulating environment and most babies also don't sleep as much at day care.

The other issue is the USDA food program. If your day care uses it, it requires them to offer 4 to 6 ounces of breastmilk or formula every 3 hours to infants under 6 months of age and 6 to 8 for infants over 6 months. I know that influenced me when I worked at a center.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"