August 2012 Moms

Paternity Leave

I am watching a segment about paternity leave on The Today Show.  First of all, for some reason it made me cry, crazy mom emotions.

Just wondering, how many of your SO's had paternity leave and how many took it?  DH was just 6 months into a new job so he only took 3 days off.

995468_10151780121619767_1204953917_n
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Paternity Leave

• SO went back the day after we came home.

It sucked hard.

I hear Canadian dads get 6 months.

Those Canadians have it ALL.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• H had three weeks. He took another week of FMLA and then took a week in October. They loved him at his old job. Why in God's name he wanted to leave is beyond me.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Loading the player...
  • DH had 2 weeks paid paternity leave, he took the whole 2 weeks off.

Eta: He took a week off in October, too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH was supposed to have a week off - though unpaid.  However, his boss called him the day after we got home telling him he had to work a few hours here, a few hours there, run this errand or that.  He wasn't even paid for the "errands".  DH's boss is a douchcanoe.

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • DH was on summer vacation, so he had 4 weeks before the next academic year started.  He took a few random days of FMLA during the school year to watch DS when I had events at the office.
                      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He didn't have "paternity leave" but he used his vacation time and took from the Wednesday I was induced to the following Monday which gave him about a week and a half.
  • DH saved up for quite a while to get to stay home with us.

started with 2 weeks right after LO came, then went backto work for 2 weeks, then he was off for 2 1/2 months.  between FMLA, PTO and sick time, we only lost half pay for half of his leave.

it was really lovely having him home! but at least right now he works 10's so he gets 3 day weekends every week. we love having him home the extra day, even if it means he's gone a little longer during the week.

10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • DH got zippy. They allow like three days of leave or something pathetic, but it's unpaid. My current job allows fathers 12 weeks, but it is also unpaid.

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Dh's job gave him 5 days but with our short stint in the NICU we came home on his day 5. He had to go back to work the day after we got home. I wish he had asked for more time off.
  • ccamccam member
    DH works for a family business and pretty much runs it with his father.  So no real paternity leave, but he was able to take off the 5 days we were in the hospital plus a week home.  He really couldn't be away much longer than that! 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• DH got the standard 10 days the military gives... He took an extra 14 days of the 30 days leave we get a year. It felt like a long time and it was
    great to have him home.
  • My husband took a week off. This is a very sore subject with me. He keeps saying "I couldn't really do anything, they don't have paternity leave." Bite me. He gets two weeks of paid vacation time a year plus two personal days, and he could have taken fmla unpaid. We have plenty of savings, we wouldn't have gone without groceries or anything if he took a little extra time off. Instead he took a week and saved the other week to take off between Christmas and New Years. He also went on a business trip the week after Gabe was born. I wanted to throat punch him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Toni79Toni79 member

Like another PP mentioned, me and DD both saved up our leave for a very long time!  Doesn't hurt that DD has been with his job for 10 years and I've been with mine 7 years.  We were saving our leave that whole time just waiting to use it on a baby!  I guess the only positive thing about infertility is that it gave us extra time to save our leave!   

DH' took a total of 12 weeks.  All FMLA.  All paid because he has a rediculous amount of leave saved up.  He probably has enough leave to take another 12 weeks!  LOL! 

Anyway, he took 4 weeks at the beginning.  I went back to work after 16 weeks, and at that time he was home with DD for his remaining 8 weeks.  It worked out well because she was 24 weeks (almost 6 months) before she started DC. 

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

• In Canada you or the spouse can take maternity leave or the male gets paternity leave. I think he can get a whole year if he wanted but then I would have to work. I am taking the year off as he makes more. So whatever he takes comes out if my year. Make sense?

Dh used his vacation time he was home for two weeks. We always do that as I eBF. More so he can help with older kids

lolololo
  • DH took 2 weeks off when LO was born. He used vacation time to get paid for it, but officially it was FMLA.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

• Dh had only been at his job for 3 months so he couldn't take time off. We came home on a Sunday and he went to work on Monday. He is now taking his paternity leave to go on vacation with us. He is taking 2 weeks. It'll be nice for both of us to have time off together with the baby now that he is older and interacts more.

• DH is a teacher and I work for a school. DS was due in August so we thought we'd have a couple weeks for DH to be home with us before he went back to work.  I took maternity leave for the fall.  Instead, we got out of school June 26, and DS was born early June 29 while DH was at a training that started the day after school got out in Tahoe.  Having him miss the birth was pretty awful but it did mean he got the whole summer to spend with DS once he came home from his time in the NICU. 
  • DH got two weeks paid paternity leave. It was really nice to have him around.
  • Yep, we have paid paternity leave here in CA. 6 weeks at 50 percent pay. DH took off about 10 days at the birth, from the day of induction. Then when I went back to work, he took the remaining 4.5 weeks. That made us able to push back the start of daycare to beginning of January.
  • DH is self employed. He took two weeks off, but then obviously needed to get back to work.
  • DH went back to work while we were in the hospital! He used his last 2 days vacation for the day DS was born and day after. I stayed 4 days, though, because I ended up with a c-section. We just couldn't afford for him to miss much work. I actually didn't mind it. He was getting stir crazy from being cooped up and it allowed me to rest more when I sent DS to the nursery.

Anniversary
  • Military gets 10 days (including weekends) so a week... It can be taken any time in the first year.

Since DH was deployed he took it when he got back from his deployment on top of their R&R. 

After a 6 month deployment they get 15 days off (including days they have to go in for appointments/to drop things of)...

But he got 25 because he took his paternity leave.

• DH had an awesome leave. From December 1- end of the school year, he stayed home with N every Monday and Friday. It saved on daycare and he got to enjoy some of her fun time. I think it amounted to 40ish days?
    734609_517665664943929_192232217_n Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • amaiteamaite member
    DH had 2 weeks paid. He took a week off when he was born, and then the other week a month and a half later when he had his surgery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"