February 2013 Moms
Options

How do you know if sleep training is right for you??

I am seeing a lot of post about sleep training and I wanted to know how you decided if it was the way to go. We put out LO down for the night around 8:30, right after his last bottle. He is awake, but sleepy. When we put him down he rolls over on his side and falls asleep. He will sleep until 4 am and then he tosses and turns, but he is able to put himself back to sleep until 6. Naps are a different story and we can only get 30 minutes out of him and we have to rock him to sleep or give him a pacifier. So how do I know if sleep training is best for us?

Re: How do you know if sleep training is right for you??

• Options
    It doesn't sound like you need to sleep train. Sleep training is for extreme situations where the baby is sleeping so little and so poorly that it's affecting their development. Nap training rarely works, although if you're interested the book no cry nap solution has some good tips and tricks that may help. My son is a terrible napper but he's generally happy so I'm not worried about establishing great nap habits. With his sisters schedules we'll never be able to stay home for a good chunk of time anyway (school pick up will always interfere and ythere's no bus in our town).
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have been reading Ferber's book, and he does say that if you're child is getting 12 hours of solid sleep a night, he probably doesn't need that much day time sleep. DS only takes 30 minute naps. But he sleeps from roughly 7-7 with usually only one wake up in between that he stays half asleep through while he eats. According to Ferber (whose numbers are lower than other experts, I should offer) a baby my son's age only needs 12-14 hours sleep in a 24 hour period.

So if I choose to adhere to his theories, it makes sense that DS is only napping 30 minutes at at time. He takes roughly four 30 minute naps a day, and that puts him at the high end of Ferber's averages.  It may be that your LO is similar, and because he is sleeping what seems like very well at night, he doesn't need to make up for it during the day. I myself am looking forward to when DS is a little older and has longer wake times, so we can maybe consolidate naps into two one hour or 90 minutes ones. Maybe read a few of the popular sleep books for babies (Ferber, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child) and see which one offers the advice/theories you feel you most identify or agree with.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageDC2London:

It does not sound like you need to sleep train.  You could try nap training, but nap training is REALLY hard and often doesn't work as well as overnight training

It's up to you but as far as nighttime goes, I'm in camp "Don't fix what isn't broken" 

This. We decided to sleep train DD1 when the 2-3 hours it was taking to put her to bed at night together with the 2 hours it took to put her back to sleep in the middle of the night started to take its toll on our marriage. We were snapping at each other and really irritable in general. I suggested we go to counseling. We decided to try sleep training first (well, really, DH had been wanting to do it since the beginning and at 6 months I finally said ok). We used Ferber and it worked like magic.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    Thank you for your advice. I did not think that we needed it, but was unsure because I am a FTM.
  • Options
    This sounds like a dream for me; it's up to you, but I don't think there's much sleep train work to do.
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"