Trying to Get Pregnant

PreBaby Reading

Many of you are probably like me and have been reading up on several books regarding fertility, pregnancy, and infants. If you have, what books have you read and what would you recommend [other than TCOYF of course!]?

Also, there are at least two different theories regarding infant parenting that I've read; Dr. Sears's cosleeping and ondemand feeding, versus Baby Wise's parent directed feeding. Have you researched these, and what are your thoughts and opinions?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PreBaby Reading

• Htle07Htle07 member
    I have the book What to Expect When You're Expecting. Haven't started reading it yet. Maybe I will when I actually am expecting.
  • imageGhostMonkey:

Have yet to read a parenting book. Don't really intend on reading any either.

Oh, and fuvck Baby Wise for a newborn. Denying food to a hungry infant is child abuse.

Well that made me feel better. I was starting to feel weird about not reading baby or parenting books yet.

• Loading the player...
  • I have several books on pregnancy, but I don't plan on reading them until I'm pregnant. I'll also probably read a book on the Bradly Method with DH, since we're interested in it, but again, not until I'm pregnant. I found a copy of What to Expect Before You're Expecting, but I've only browsed through it.

• The only sort of parenting book I've started is Bringing Up Bebe. I'm not really reading it for parenting purposes. I just find it interesting.

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
    SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    ~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
    Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
    Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
    image image imageimage 
  • imageClarinet35:
    Many of you are probably like me and have been reading up on several books reg fertility, pregnancy, and infants. If you have, what books have you read and what would you recommend [other than TCOYF of course!]? Also, there are at least two different theories regarding infant parenting that I've read; Dr. Sears's cosleeping and ondemand feeding, versus Baby Wise's parent directed feeding. Have you researched these, and what are your thoughts and opinions?

When I was 34 weeks pregnant with my LO I was hospitalized with pre-e. I knew the baby would probably come a little early but I was not ready and had read no parenting books. I panicked and ordered a variety of books off of Amazon.

What a waste of money. Several of the books left me shaking my head. They are mostly other people's opinions backed by anecdotal evidence. Some of it just seemed made up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 37--Thyroid Cancer survivor. H:38. DS born 6/22/2011; BFP#2--11/5/12--Missed miscarriage discovered 12/21/2012.  BFP#3--5/20/14--another MMC 6/16/14.
  • imagebeckynsean11:
    The only sort of parenting book I've started is Bringing Up Bebe. I'm not really reading it for parenting purposes. I just find it interesting.

Ditto! I just thought the cultural differences would be entertaining to read about.

I plan on reading the Mayo guide and prolly the Ina May Gaskin guide. Reading these books is something I'm looking forward to once I'm actually pregnant. I doubt I will be needing to read parenting guides the first year.

TTC #1 since Oct. 2012 | BFP Feb. 21, 2014!
    imageimage
  • I read some pregnancy books while pregnant but have yet to read a single after the baby is born/parenting books. We just sort of wing it. Nearly three years in and so far so good. 
    photo 7ce353dd-36ff-42be-84c5-8548c1d4fa1cjpg
    BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10
    BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ DD Born 11/21/14
    BFP#4 6/15/17 ~ EDD 2/20/18
  • Thanks for your input and opinions ladies!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGhostMonkey:

imagelindscfa:
    I read a sleep training book, a how to make your own baby food book, a fearless parenting book, a creativity encouraging book, and a stories from motherhood book. They were all freebies from amazon for my kindle and were pretty light and easy reads. I really like the fearless parenting one because it gives real life examples of how to teach your children instead of doing things for them...which is more of the parenting style I think I'm planning to use. 

Put food in blender, blend, transfer to bowl, transfer to baby mouth. That requires a book?

I lurk all the time here, but I totally agree with this.

And yet it comes up all the time on other boards. How does it not make sense? I really want to know how that topic can fill up an entire book...

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • imagejefa621:
    I figure, when I get pregnant, I'll read a pregnancy book. nbsp;When I have a kid, I might read a parenting book. nbsp;Right now I have to many gardening/decorating/fun books to read :

True....
  • imagerjeller32:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imagelindscfa:
    I read a sleep training book, a how to make your own baby food book, a fearless parenting book, a creativity encouraging book, and a stories from motherhood book. They were all freebies from amazon for my kindle and were pretty light and easy reads. I really like the fearless parenting one because it gives real life examples of how to teach your children instead of doing things for them...which is more of the parenting style I think I'm planning to use. 

Put food in blender, blend, transfer to bowl, transfer to baby mouth. That requires a book?

And yet it comes up all the time on other boards. How does it not make sense? I really want to know how that topic can fill up an entire book...

True story! I think part of it may be that some people have never actually steamed anything or have never operated a food processor. Although, I have to admit that I'm intrigued about the baby led weaning I've been reading about while lurking.

TTC #1 since Oct. 2012 | BFP Feb. 21, 2014!
    imageimage
  • I have read "What to Expect Before You're Expecting"
    DX: Hashimoto's - August 2012

Me:30 / DH: 31

BFP#1 after 15 cycles on 12/1/2013 EDD 8/7/2014

Anniversary

• imageGhostMonkey:

imagelindscfa:

Do you have a thing against people reading how to books? Or just books in general? People come on here to read advice, what is the difference of getting advice from a book?I only knew how to make sweet potatoes for my kids, a recipe book was a must IMO.
    Photobucket
  • imagebeckynsean11:
    The only sort of parenting book I've started is Bringing Up Bebe. I'm not really reading it for parenting purposes. I just find it interesting.

I've been reading that too. I don't agree with everything in the book but it is interesting.

I've read What To Expect When You're Expecting. It wasn't all that impressive although it was ok to start with. The format is weird. Topics kind of jump around.
  • imageGhostMonkey:

Oh, and fuvck Baby Wise for a newborn. Denying food to a hungry infant is child abuse.

This. 

Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I have What To Expect When You're Expecting and What to Expect the First Year. I haven't read either yet but I will when the time comes. I'm not sure if I'll read parenting books or not. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
                                                           photo Loss_zpse03013d0.png      image

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

• imageBlackBooks:
    imagerjeller32:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imagelindscfa:

True story! I think part of it may be that some people have never actually steamed anything or have never operated a food processor. Although, I have to admit that I'm intrigued about the baby led weaning I've been reading about while lurking.

Meh. I started to read a little on the site, and it's just small bite size chunks given to a baby at 6 months so they learn to chew first instead of swallow first as with purees. They gag before they choke, and it helps them develop a gag reflex so it's deemed as safe. It's all about letting them play with and discover food.

I basically just summed up an entire book. All the same rules apply for waiting periods to check for allergies like a mush fed baby. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • I just finished Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake and I definitely recommend it. Super informative and readable with lots of birth stories. She is pretty biased towards natural birthing but does a decent job of presenting all of the options and recognizing that everyone is different. I'm currently reading Raising Baby Green and it has some great things about eliminating dietary and environmental toxins. It's pretty crunchy, though- not everybody's into that!

There are about a million other books on my list, but I haven't read them yet so can't recommend yet. :) I think next on the list is The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant and Real Food for Mother and Baby. 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I've read a lot of pregnancy/TTC books but I'm trying to hold off on parenting/baby books until I'm actually pregnant. I've read What to Expect When You're Expecting, The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant, TCOYF, Mother of all Pregnancy Books, Mommy IQ and a lot of non fiction stuff along the lines of Belly Laughs. When I do start to read parenting/baby books I plan to start with Bringing up Bebe, Baby 411, Happiest Baby on the Block, etc.

I'm not a baby person so I feel really unprepared for this whole having baby thing and reading makes me feel better, so I tend to go to the library a lot :)  

72614 1
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"