Breastfeeding

Potential Diet Issues?

Hi Everyone, 

I am not pregnant yet but am lurking a bit:) My husband and I will probably start trying at the beginning of next year sometime. So I know this isn't an immediate thing at all, but I have just been thinking about it all recently.

I have some food allergies. I cannot have land-meat (Chicken, beef, pork, etc) and I cannot have most dairy ( I can still have hard cheese but am not good with milk, yogurt, etc). I am just wondering how this would affect breastfeeding? I wouldn't want to deprive my future child of vitamins or a balanced diet. Would I have to use formula all or part of the time?

Thanks for your input:) 

My Husband, James, with our 3 furbabies, Charlie, Blaze, and Dusty!

Re: Potential Diet Issues?

• +ASH++ASH+ member
    Can't help you with the meat, but my DD has a dairy intolerance (and so do a lot of other babies) so no dairy might actually be easier on your future LO. I'm in the process of cutting all dairy out of my diet :)
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • imagetheresat858:
    Assuming you can still get sufficient protein and fat in your diet, your milk should still be fine for your LO.nbsp; Many vegans and vegetarians successfully breastfeed.

This, make sure you get other protein sources in your diet, not just for breast feed but for pregnancy overall. The dairy shouldn't be an issues since most kids have intolerances to dairy. Good luck to you
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetheresat858:
    Assuming you can still get sufficient protein and fat in your diet, your milk should still be fine for your LO.  Many vegans and vegetarians successfully breastfeed.

This. Just be sure you've still got a well-balanced diet and getting enough calories. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yup, I breastfed for a little over a year, and I'm vegetarian.  I continued to take prenatal vitamins and just paid more attention to my diet.  I've never heard the term "land-meat" before, but it made me smile :) !  Good luck!!
  • Haha, yeah its the best term I have to describe it. It's definitely a very uncommon allergy, so not much about it. But pretty much I don't have the enzymes to digest the fats in the meat. My husband is a hunter, and I cannot eat anything he gets lol

My Husband, James, with our 3 furbabies, Charlie, Blaze, and Dusty!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"