January 2013 Moms

Re: (Untitled)

• No, I think that's a normal amount.  If I figure out what I pay full time at a center per hour, its like $4.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We pay $3/hr. at an in-home daycare.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When I return to work next month I will be paying $25 a day, which is a good deal for where I live (compared to the price of an actual daycare center).  A retired family friend will be watching her.  But, it seems like $25 is about average for a friend/family deal. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I pay $25 a day to an in-home provider, but I'm also providing all of DS's food right now.  Licensed daycare providers in my state (MN) are also obligated to follow a federal/state food plan, so the daycare's food is planned and paid for once DS starts solids.

$25 is reasonable if she is providing all meals and snacks.  If your SIL is not going to provide those things, I think it's reasonable to ask for $30 to $35 depending on what groceries cost in your neck of the woods.  

Also, I would make it clear what hours you are "open," so your 8-9 hour day doesn't become a 10 hour day.  I could see it becoming really easy to "swing by the store for some groceries" when LO is with family than it is when LO is at a DC that will charge $1 for every minute you're late.  

You're obviously doing her a favor for cheaper than the DC, otherwise the LO would be there full time.  I'd venture to guess the grandparents aren't charging anything. 

Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • In Michigan, people I know get paid $10/hour to do this.  That seems like too much for a family member, but I think since you need the money, you could ask for more.  If you plan to treat them more like family--for instance, sometimes they baby-sit for you on the weekends, sometimes you cancel and ask grandma to do an extra day, etc. then I think that rate is fine.  If you plan to be more professional, you could say, I've considered doing this professionally, and I have researched this and know that most people who do get paid x.  I think this will be a pretty taxing job so even though I want to help, could I get y, which is less than x.
  • Wow...after looking at these rates... I live in the wrong state!
    Ugh, I am going to be working to pay for daycare!
  • Thank you everyone! The comments have been very helpful. I live in Mass. and after doing more research the $25 seems like a pretty good deal for my SIL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• The one daycare I initially set up was 25 a day. The one I send LO now is 100 a week. It's an in home provider.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"