Working Moms

Re: (Untitled)

• BM stays good at room temp for approx 5hrs, so I did not wash my parts in between pumping at work.  I usually pumped twice a day, about 4hrs apart.  I would wash everything at night.  You can combine milk in bottles, but I rarely did.  I have the Medela PISA so I could fit 4 of those little bottles in the cooler bag that came with it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You don't have to wash them everyday if you can rinse the parts and put into the fridge. I brought my parts home to wash in the dishwasher once a week. But use a new pumping bottle each time. Don't mix fresh milk and cold milk.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Philo

Baby N conceived after 1 miscarriage and more than 2 years of TTC. Diagnosis was low sperm count. We found success after 3 months of anastrozole to increase DH's testosterone and one IUI.
    Some charts AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive. - Happy Gilmore
  • Loading the player...
  • There are a lot of options. You can reuse the same pump parts if it has been less than 5 hours, you can rinse and reuse, or wash and reuse, or rinse and microwave sterilize and reuse. You could store them in the fridge between pumping sessions, or buy a second set and have a clean set of parts for each pumping session. All those options are commonly done and are ok. If your tap water is safe to drink, you really only need to sterilize before the first use.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I pumped for two years and never washed parts in between or even put them in the fridge in between. No problems whatsoever. I just threw everything in the dishwasher at night.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ebp913ebp913 member
    I also never wash my parts in between pumping sessions in the same day.  What I do with the bottles is this.  I pump into bottle A and B in the morning and put all the milk in bottle A.  Then the next time I pump, I reuse bottle B and a new bottle C. Pour all the milk from that pump into bottle B, then repeat the same thing for your next pumping session.  Saves me from using 6 bottles in a day!  Now I just use 3 or 4 depending on how many sessions. Then I wash everything at night.  I have 4 sets of pump parts so I don't even have to wash everything that night and can skip a day (or 3) of washing if I want to.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • JJ_13JJ_13 member
    Maybe I will get sideeyed for this, but I combine milk too (all from the same day of course). I don't get a ton of output from each session, so I just store the bottles, with pump parts still attached, in the fridge, and then pump into those same bottles at the next session. I could be wrong, but I always thought it was that you weren't supposed to combine fresh and *frozen* milk. I would think combining fresh milk with milk that's been in the fridge for 3 hours is just fine. Hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong... I'm two months into pumping at work and LO seems to be fine! I'd be curious to know, though, if what I'm doing is somehow not okay. I do, of course, wash pump parts at the end of the day.
  • cltk12cltk12 member

imagejf198400:
    BM stays good at room temp for approx 5hrs, so I did not wash my parts in between pumping at work.  I usually pumped twice a day, about 4hrs apart.  I would wash everything at night.  .

This for me too, except DH washed the parts at night. :) 

• cltk12cltk12 member

imageJJ_13:
    Maybe I will get sideeyed for this, but I combine milk too (all from the same day of course). I don't get a ton of output from each session, so I just store the bottles, with pump parts still attached, in the fridge, and then pump into those same bottles at the next session. I could be wrong, but I always thought it was that you weren't supposed to combine fresh and *frozen* milk. I would think combining fresh milk with milk that's been in the fridge for 3 hours is just fine. Hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong... I'm two months into pumping at work and LO seems to be fine! I'd be curious to know, though, if what I'm doing is somehow not okay. I do, of course, wash pump parts at the end of the day.

This is how bacteria grows.  Pumping warm milk into cold milk.  I'd leave the milk out of the fridge if it's only 3 hours between and then pump warm milk onto warm milk.  What I did was combine the 2 bottles into one bottle, and then brought an extra bottle (so 3 bottles each day) and pump into one old empty and a new one and then combine those 2. 

• shannmshannm member

imageazuremama:
    I pumped for two years and never washed parts in between or even put them in the fridge in between. No problems whatsoever. I just threw everything in the dishwasher at night.

all of this except I hand washed at night. 

• shannmshannm member
    imagecltk12:

imageJJ_13:

This is how bacteria grows.  Pumping warm milk into cold milk.  I'd leave the milk out of the fridge if it's only 3 hours between and then pump warm milk onto warm milk.  What I did was combine the 2 bottles into one bottle, and then brought an extra bottle (so 3 bottles each day) and pump into one old empty and a new one and then combine those 2. 

as a biologist, I am really curious as to how this specific practice promotes bacterial growth. 

• imageJJ_13:
    Maybe I will get sideeyed for this, but I combine milk too all from the same day of course. I don't get a ton of output from each session, so I just store the bottles, with pump parts still attached, in the fridge, and then pump into those same bottles at the next session. I could be wrong, but I always thought it was that you weren't supposed to combine fresh and frozen milk. I would think combining fresh milk with milk that's been in the fridge for 3 hours is just fine. Hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong... I'm two months into pumping at work and LO seems to be fine! I'd be curious to know, though, if what I'm doing is somehow not okay. I do, of course, wash pump parts at the end of the day.

I did the exact same thing. I got a mini fridge on Craigslist for 35 dollars to put next to my desk. After pumping I just set the bottles with flanges still attached in the fridge and pumped into them again later. I don't remember if my LC told me to or I read it somewhere, but I never had a problem.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • imagehocus:
    When I pumped it put the parts in the fridge and washed them daily. You don't need to wash them each time.

This.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't clean them between pumping sessions, there is a fridge in the mom's room and I just stuck them in there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"