Breastfeeding

Pumping Issues

Hi Ladies,

It's been a while since I've been on but I seem to never have any time. So my story is that my baby would not latch due to flat nipples and having to supplement for the first two weeks because of his bilirubin levels. I was using the medela symphony pump and now have the ameda purely yours pump through insurance company. I have DD breasts and it makes it very difficult to pump. They spill over, slip out, and I have to use two hands or they fall off. I am so frustrated and I am hoping that some other women may have some tips? I think I finally have the right size flanges which makes it less painful but it is just so difficult. I can't even change the settings while pumping because they are so big. Please help! TIA!

Re: Pumping Issues

• Do you use a hands-free pumping bra? If not, get one. Immediately. I actually made one by cutting holes in a sports bra over my nipples. It has made pumping so much easier. And I also have large boobs, at least a DD.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I am so confused.  What's spilling over/slipping out and from where?????

DD breasts aren't that large.  That's what size mine were before my milk came in - then they shot up to Gs.  (I think F-H is relatively commonplace on this board)  And I never had any issues with my breasts being too big for pumping.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepinottoparenthood:
    Do you use a hands-free pumping bra? If not, get one. Immediately. I actually made one by cutting holes in a sports bra over my nipples. It has made pumping so much easier. And I also have large boobs, at least a DD.

I don't but that is a great idea. I didn't think it would work because of my large chest but if it will work then I will try it. Thank you! 

• imageblu-eyedwife:

I am so confused.  What's spilling over/slipping out and from where?????

DD breasts aren't that large.  That's what size mine were before my milk came in - then they shot up to Gs.  (I think F-H is relatively commonplace on this board)  And I never had any issues with my breasts being too big for pumping.

They spill over the flanges. Lucky you that you don't have issues but it is a real task for me. 

• CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    imagelnvazquez:

imagepinottoparenthood:
    Do you use a hands-free pumping bra? If not, get one. Immediately. I actually made one by cutting holes in a sports bra over my nipples. It has made pumping so much easier. And I also have large boobs, at least a DD.

I don't but that is a great idea. I didn't think it would work because of my large chest but if it will work then I will try it. Thank you! 

I highly recommend the Simple Wishes one.  It comes in two sizes, I think.  Both cover a range of actual sizes.  So for example I have smaller size that actually goes from like 34 A through 38 D.  It has this super sticky touch tape/Velcro that you use to change the size.  Which is really nice when your size changes do to milk coming in, or in my case too much coconut milk ice cream!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• imagepinottoparenthood:

I'm bigger then that and also just made a handsfree bra myself and it's great! 

~Erin~ 
    proud pagan 

• imagelnvazquez:
    imageblu-eyedwife:

They spill over the flanges. Lucky you that you don't have issues but it is a real task for me. 

What's spilling over the flanges?  The milk?  How is the milk getting outside of the flanges?  Your breasts?  They're not supposed to fit entirely in the flange - for anyone, no matter what size your breast is. I just don't understand what you're talking about.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageblu-eyedwife:
    imagelnvazquez:
    imageblu-eyedwife:

What's spilling over the flanges?  The milk?  How is the milk getting outside of the flanges?  Your breasts?  They're not supposed to fit entirely in the flange - for anyone, no matter what size your breast is. I just don't understand what you're talking about.

My breasts. I know they aren't supposed to fit in them but it causes the flanges to get off center and it's really difficult to fix it every five minutes when I have no hands. 

• imagelnvazquez:
    imageblu-eyedwife:
    imagelnvazquez:
    imageblu-eyedwife:

My breasts. I know they aren't supposed to fit in them but it causes the flanges to get off center and it's really difficult to fix it every five minutes when I have no hands. 

That's why you need to get a HANDS FREE BRA! THey go up to size K or something. Or take an old sports bra, cut slits into it and insert the horns. You're making this way more difficult than you have to be. Google is also your friend.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • I think I'm probably in a ~38DD-DDD right now and the smaller version of the simple wishes bra works fine for me!  I also have a one of the bands they used to hold the monitors on when I was in labor that has two holes cut in it and that works well.  You could do the same with a belly band.  I actually like this better if I'm just sitting because it gives me plenty of room for massage.  I prefer the simple wishes bra if I'm driving because it holds the shields a little more snugly.  Another option to consider is getting a pair of pumpin pals shields and/or try a larger size.  Medela's 27mm worked better for me than the 24mm.  I got a bag of pumping accessories from a friend and it had several sets of 27mms and one set of pumpin pals in it.  I love the pumpin pals so much more than the medela shields!  They are so much more comfortable. https://www.pumpinpal.com/.  HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"