Breastfeeding

What should I do?!

My son is almost 12 weeks and I have been EPing since he was about 5 days old. I have a large freezer stash in one of my moms freezers because mine is full. There's about 800oz in hers.

Today when I was over there she said she went down to that freezer last night and noticed that the door was open a bit! She said the two ziploc freezer bags with about 5 or 6 bags of milk each closest to the door felt soft but everything else still felt hard. So she shut the door really tight and told me about it today.

Obviously I know and I did get rid of the two soft bags but do I have to get rid of everything else!? It makes me sick to think about because I wanted to start backing off on the pump a bit since I'm already making almost double what he takes in a day and start using and rotating my stash!

What should I do? I obviously don't want my baby to get sick!

Re: What should I do?!

• TJ1979TJ1979 member
    I'm pretty sure I've heard that if its still slushy you can refreeze no big deal. Someone back me up?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • imageTJ1979:
    I'm pretty sure I've heard that if its still slushy you can refreeze no big deal. Someone back me up?

I think I read this too on kellymom.com. That as long as there are still ice crystals in the milk you're okay.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Loading the player...
  • I doubt your milk is bad, but it could shorten the freezer life. I'm thinking abouthow milk   lasts longer in a chest freezer because it's closer to the bottom, versus a regular freezer where it's closer to the front. You might want to start rotating your stash sooner rather than later, but I definitely wouldn't throw it away unless it smells weird. I always make it a habit of smelling the milk after thawing before I give it to my baby.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • imagepinottoparenthood:
    You might want to start rotating your stash sooner rather than later, but I definitely wouldn't throw it away unless it smells weird. I always make it a habit of smelling the milk after thawing before I give it to my baby.

I agree completely. If it smells fine, use it. Unfortunately, you won't know until you thaw it, so you might want to try and use that up first. Hope you didn't lose too much!!

• I don't have an answer, but how did you get up to 800oz?? 
    ~Erin~ 
    proud pagan 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks so much. I'm definitely going to smell it before I give it to him. 

Ive started using my stash this week and have gone down to 5 pumps a day so I'm hoping that helps with my oversupply. 

How would you suggest I correct it? I read that milk production is supply driven after 12 weeks so shouldn't my milk start to decrease with fewer, shorter pumps like I've been trying?  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"