May 2013 Moms

If only I could take it away

My poor LO is congested. He didn't sleep very well because he couldnt breath right. He's only a month old today.
We were up ever hour last night. If only I could take it away!
I read that putting a drop of breast milk in each nostril will help, but I'm scared to do that. :/

Re: If only I could take it away

• I've never heard of the breast milk thing, but my sister had some sort of saline drops from Babyganics [I think] that she used when her newborn was congested. She swears by it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagejayro10:
    I've never heard of the breast milk thing, but my sister had some sort of saline drops from Babyganics [I think] that she used when her newborn was congested. She swears by it.

Where would I find it?
  • Loading the player...
  • You can get them on the baby isle where you would find the baby wash, diaper rash stuff, etc. At least in my local Walmart and Rite Aid you can.
  • imagejstring88:
    You can get them on the baby isle where you would find the baby wash, diaper rash stuff, etc. At least in my local Walmart and Rite Aid you can.

Thanks!
  • imageSOPHJOSAL:
    imagejayro10:
    I've never heard of the breast milk thing, but my sister had some sort of saline drops from Babyganics [I think] that she used when her newborn was congested. She swears by it.
    Where would I find it?

Make your own - so much cheaper!  All it is is salt water.  1/4 teaspoon salt dissolved in 1 cup of water.   

• imagekelly422:

imageSOPHJOSAL:
    imagejayro10:

Where would I find it?

Make your own - so much cheaper!  All it is is salt water.  1/4 teaspoon salt dissolved in 1 cup of water.

And I just put a drop in each nostril?
  • For congestion we were instructed to do the saline drops and bulb syringe to remove any excess mucous, prop up at a 45 degree angle when laying down, and a cool mist humidifier. It works for J when he has an allergy cold.
  • My LO gets really congested as well.  I would suggest getting a nosefrida snotsucker, it's amazing and way more effective than the bulb ones.  We propped up the pack n play mattress at an angle for when she sleeps, it helps.  Good luck, I know how hard it is to watch them struggle :(
  • imageSOPHJOSAL:
    imagekelly422:

imageSOPHJOSAL:
    imagejayro10:

Where would I find it?

Put 12 drops in each nostril. If that doesn't do it, you may need to use the bulb suction after the drops soften the boogers. Just don't overdo the suction because it can cause nasal swelling making the congestion worse.
  • I asked about my little guy's congestion at his 3 week appointment, our Pediatrician recommended over the counter nasal saline drops one drop in each nostril. Good Luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't put BM in her nose, that's a good way to make her more stuffy. Stick with the saline.
  • imageMotherMayEye:
    Don't put BM in her nose, that's a good way to make her more stuffy. Stick with the saline.
    just wondering where you heard this. I have used bm for all three of my lo's and it works great. And i dont remember were i heard it but its supposedly gentler than saline... to op i would at least try using bm before deciding you like saline better. Good luck. congested babies are hard to watch.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagebaby_mama88:
    imageMotherMayEye:
    Don't put BM in her nose, that's a good way to make her more stuffy. Stick with the saline.

just wondering where you heard this. I have used bm for all three of my lo's and it works great. And i dont remember were i heard it but its supposedly gentler than saline...
    to op i would at least try using bm before deciding you like saline better. Good luck. congested babies are hard to watch.

So I tried the BM earlier and it took a little while, but my little guy is breathing so much better. I could still hear a little bit of congestion, but like it was earlier. I'll be outing a little more in later before bed.
  • Oh, and my bf actully googled it.
  • imagebaby_mama88:
    imageMotherMayEye:
    just wondering where you heard this. I have used bm for all three of my lo's and it works great. And i dont remember were i heard it but its supposedly gentler than saline... to op i would at least try using bm before deciding you like saline better. Good luck. congested babies are hard to watch.

I say that because BM has natural sugars in it and it will eventually get sticky. Saline has no sugar in it and will not get sticky. I would not put sugar in my kid's nose, just in case it might cause her nostrils to seal.

• imageSOPHJOSAL:
    imagekelly422:

imageSOPHJOSAL:
    imagejayro10:
    Where would I find it?

Making your own is dangerous unless using bottled distilled/purified water.  All tap water contains microorganisms.  It's not even recommended for adults to flush with tap water.  Read any Neti-Pot instructions and they will tell you not to use tap water.

So.... if you do make your own...  Just pick up a gallon bottle of purified water.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"