February 2012 Moms

Re: (Untitled)

• The phrase, "get my (insert verb here) on" is possibly the dumbest phrase in the English language.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• SA:  Short back story, I had to move in with my mom after my ex and I split...I can't afford to live somewhere on my own right now.   So, this week I've been house/dog sitting for my sister.  Even though it requires that I get up 45 minutes earlier than I normally would, I've enjoyed having a house to myself.  Just not having to deal with anyone else being around, or my grandmother's constant bithching(yes she lives with us too) has been very nice.  Now, my sister's dogs are driving me nuts, but hey, it's a small price to pay.

Ian's sitter has a meeting today at the nursing home where her mother lives.  This is the first time she's ever driven him anywhere, well really taken him anywhere.  I'm a little nervous!  I don't 'not' trust her driving...it's more about her dealing with him at the nursing home.  He is usually REALLY good no matter where we go, but I don't know how he'll act for her.  And ok, yeah maybe I am a little nervous about her driving him...will she get him buckled correctly in the car seat, will she use the AC instead of rolling the windows down(it's supposed to be 90 again here today and I know she usually does not use her AC).  In the grand scheme of things these aren't huge issues as I know she takes very good care of him, but I'm still a little nervous.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Today is my last day of school. Yay!!

It is POURING down rain. Boo!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • S/A DH is waiting to hear back from grad school... his GMAT scores have been official received by the school and now we wait!! 

SA:  My favorite girl name ever is Analise... but it's way to close to my name for me to use it for another girl.  My 2nd favorite little girl's name is Margo... which is exceptionally close to DH's name, but I'm okay with that.  That doesn't seem weird some how...

SA:  I judged the other parents at DC this morning for their breakfast options for their kid... I took her with eggs, yogurt and whole-grain waffles today... the two boys already there were eating fruit loops and donut holes from dunkin!  Listen, I am all for junk food here and there, and indulge DD pretty often, but c'mon!

SA:  In that "Cups" song, all I here is her saying "you're going to miss me by my taco" instead of "talk, oh"... and that just sounds gross. 

• imageCotterpinDoozer:
    SA:  In that "Cups" song, all I here is her saying "you're going to miss me by my taco" instead of "talk, oh"... and that just sounds gross. 
       I LOVE YOU!!!   :)  I don't even know the words to the song, but like it because it's a catchy little tune.  But now, I'm sure I'm going to be singing it your way!

• SA: I'm tired, like really tired, and I can't seem to keep up on anything. Mommy/ housewife fail.
  • imagejmccall79:
    imageCotterpinDoozer:
       I LOVE YOU!!!   :)  I don't even know the words to the song, but like it because it's a catchy little tune.  But now, I'm sure I'm going to be singing it your way!

I think my husband ruined me, he always hears things weird and then that's what they are, you know?  There used to be a local commercial on the radio that said "you don't have to be a Nascar driver"... which turned into "an a$$ car driver".  Any time the word "new" proceeds a word that starts with "d", it becomes a "nude" something.... like, I said something to him about the "new day care teacher", to which he responded "i don't know what an aycare teacher is, but I don't like that she's nude."  You should've heard the uproar when the mayoral candidate's campaign was that he had a new direction for our city......

• I seriously hate my job.  I have gotten 6 emails in the last 30-45 min telling me XYZ is a priority today and needs to be done asap.  I don't even know where to start.  I can't get all of the things done today much less by lunch like I have been told.  We are so short staffed but we can't hire anymore employees.  We can't hire anymore people because we keep getting this crap about keeping cost down but yet they offer us OT which would more than cover 1 more person to the team and we wouldn't be having such poor quality of work go out since we have time to actually stop and think about what we are doing.  Plus our executives just took a big trip to NY for some "celebration".  I just hate that they tell us we are doing so well as a company but we aren't going to match your 401k, we are doing bonuses or raises give any type of Christmas cards/gift and we aren't hiring anymore people.  But keep up the good work, it's greatly appreciated we just aren't going to show you have much we appreciate it!
  • I have more!

UO: I will likely never let Allison be outside naked.  Ticks, mosquitoes, other bugs sunburn...no thank you.

SA: I really like my job, but it is evolving into a new process soon.  This sucks because it is going to drop all the stuff I like and put more focus on the stuff I don't like.  Boo.

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• SA: I really want an effing bagel right now and I'm mad at myself for not stopping on my way to work to get one. This could also be a FWP.
  • imagen8swife:
    SA: I really want an effing bagel right now and I'm mad at myself for not stopping on my way to work to get one. This could also be a FWP.
    now I want a bagel with strawberry cream cheese.
  • My O/U.  I don't like bagels.  I have never understood the love of them.  They are chewy bread.  Maybe I haven't had the right ones.

Also, this may be more of a confession but one of the other post above reminded me of it.  I have let DD take donut holes to daycare for breakfast.  We were out of her normal breakfast stuff and I didn't realize it until it was time to leave.  The donut shop is on daycare, the grocery store is not.  She got donut holes.

• I have another SA: everytime my boss says the f word, I lose a little respect for him. I think it's comletely unprofessional to drop fbombs while talking to your employees.
  • We're getting a dog in August and we're hoping it stops people from asking us when the next baby is coming. Because "probably never!" doesn't seem to be working as an answer!
  • SA: I respect a person more if they have a library card. That definitely doesn't mean that I don't respect people without library cards, I know a lot of people don't. 

At least some of my UOs are relatively controversial. Get ready!

UO: The confederate flag makes people look ignorant. I know people view it as a representation of their Southern heritage, but I don't know how anyone can pretend it doesn't have any other connotations. Is there really not a better symbol you can use that represents your heritage without being so incredibly controversial? 

UO: I'm really not a big fan of water shoes/swim shoes. Anywhere you're swimming, you should be able to put your feet on the ground. If your worried about glass or something, then you probably should not be swimming there. To me, it is the epitome of unnecessary consumer products for fussy American parents. Also they are super uncomfortable. 

UO: I think germ/bacteria-phobia is silly. Bacteria is necessary and useful and keeps us healthy by building up our immune system. I see no point in hand sanitizer unless you are in a place where you can't wash your hands, like in the middle of the woods. There are a lot of other things that fall into this category, I could go on for awhile, but I won't. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
  • imageMrMrsandBaby:

I have more!

UO: I will likely never let Allison be outside naked.  Ticks, mosquitoes, other bugs sunburn...no thank you.

You know my opinion :-) 

I think these are silly excuses that can be easily remedied, but you are using them to justify your squeamishness about being naked and your discomfort with nature.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
  • imageHattieLove:
    Anywhere you're swimming, you should be able to put your feet on the ground.
      Some people have extremely sensitive feet and even at the pool would have issues being barefoot.  I know a few people who cannot walk barefoot, even at the pool.  Their feet blister very easily and extremely bad.  So, they must wear water shoes...  Just a thought...

• imageHattieLove:
    imageMrMrsandBaby:

I have more!

I think these are silly excuses that can be easily remedied, but you are using them to justify your squeamishness about being naked and your discomfort with nature.  

Wow, I had no idea you knew me so well Hattie.  For you to say I'm "squeamish" about being naked...wow, we must be really close.  I love how judgemental you are, really it is a beautiful trait of yours to assume that because I don't want Allison outside naked I'm uncomfortable with nature.  Yup, that's me.  That is why I take her outside as often as I can, we go for walks, hikes, swimming, and play at parks.  Yup, I'm uncomfortable with nature.  And as for naked, well we should all shower with clothes on.  Really, there is never a reason to be naked - ever.

Maybe, just maybe, you don't know a flucking thing about me and should really stop making incorrect and unfounded assumptions.  But I guess it is easy to pass judgement from your moral and parental high horse.

ETA: We clearly have very different personalities and parenting styles.  Not that one is wrong/better/right/worse...just different.  I ALWAYS make my UO/FFFC very general, never targeted toward anyone.  However, you specifically called me out here - that is why my response is what it is.  Although I don't agree with every decision you make in raising your daughter, it doesn't mean I think it is wrong - it isn't like you are the only person on the planet who lets their LO run around naked.  Just different and something I wouldn't do.  So I'm not sure the call out was necessary here.

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Hattie, the only one I don't agree with you on is the water shoes.  I think when you go to a big water park they are necessary.  The ground gets super hot and you are walking around for hours on the hot ground.  We go to a huge water park that has several different areas and you take a shuttle between each.  If you don't have water shoes your feet are so sore and blistered at the end of the day you can't walk. 

Now, if you are using them because you don't want them to touch the bottom of the lake/ocean I agree with you.  I have never worn them in the lake.  Do I like the bottom of the lake, not so much, but I don't think shoes are necessary.  And at the pool, it's just weird IMO! 

• imageHattieLove:
    I see no point in hand sanitizer unless you are in a place where you can't wash your hands, like in the middle of the woods.
      But if nature is "all that", then why would you need hand sanitizer in the woods?  :)

• imageHattieLove:
    imageMrMrsandBaby:

I have more!

Woah Hattie, that's a pretty big generalization about MMB. I don't see how not wanting Allison to be naked outdoors equals a discomfort with nature. That was a sh!tty statement to make.

Not everyone grew up running around naked outside. Just because you let your child be naked outside, doesn't mean it's the right choice for everyone.
  • imageHattieLove:

UO: I'm really not a big fan of water shoes/swim shoes. Anywhere you're swimming, you should be able to put your feet on the ground. If your worried about glass or something, then you probably should not be swimming there. To me, it is the epitome of unnecessary consumer products for fussy American parents. Also they are super uncomfortable. 

I just bought some waterproof sandals because we are going camping at a lake and the lake shore has a TON of rocks--it would make Nat's feet hurt NOT to have shoes on. If we were going to a pool or something, I can see your point.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageHattieLove:
    Let me ask you a question...and I'm being serious here...  If you are so "ok" with nudity, nature, etc do you sit outside naked?  If not, why?  If it's such a wonderful and empowering thing to do, why don't you do it too?

• imagedanac2010:

Hattie, the only one I don't agree with you on is the water shoes.  I think when you go to a big water park they are necessary.  The ground gets super hot and you are walking around for hours on the hot ground.  We go to a huge water park that has several different areas and you take a shuttle between each.  If you don't have water shoes your feet are so sore and blistered at the end of the day you can't walk. 

Now, if you are using them because you don't want them to touch the bottom of the lake/ocean I agree with you.  I have never worn them in the lake.  Do I like the bottom of the lake, not so much, but I don't think shoes are necessary.  And at the pool, it's just weird IMO! 

I think they look stupid, but can totally see why they would be good for public places...other people's foot gunk...gross.  But you know me, I don't like nature.

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• imageHattieLove:

i agree for adults... what about for LOs?  The sand is super hot at the beach, and the cement by a pool is rough!!
  • imageHattieLove:

You should come to New Orleans.  The ground is way too hot to walk around without something on your feet especially at pools.  Once the ground is wet it somehow attracts more heat and it HURTS.  This comes from a person who nearly broke their back slipping at a wave pool from hopping from foot to foot because of the unbearable heat.

Also, I ALWAYS stump my toes in the bottom of pools and when I wear swim shoes I don't.  This is for when I am hanging in the pool not really swimming.  And I've never had uncomfortable water shoes, I usually love how they feel. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageStarbuck128:

- I've met another milestone on the way to being a real mom. I now wake up before dawn so I can have time to myself before everyone else wakes up. It is amazing.  I do this, except I get up earlier so I can be sure to get a nice long hot shower, get dressed, and fix my hair in peace!

- I've been thinking about that controversial thread about SAHMs on the WMs board yesterday. If a good SAHM is supposed to be so busy she never has a break to get on TB, obviously I fail. *eye roll* I should always be cleaning or actively playing with my LO. So I've been thinking about how to cut out all down time. (I'm not trying to do this, I'm just trying to figure out how it is done.) I'm stumped with a couple of situations. With nursing, should I not nurse, figure out a way to do dishes while I nurse, or put down my phone and watch my LO while I nurse? While playing outside at the water table, should I forgo independent play and actively engage him every minute, or should I leave him unsupervised and come in to do my SAHM duties of laundry, dishes or packing DH's suitcase? I need guidance!! You're kidding, right?

- I'm being bad and bumping during nap time. SAHMs shouldn't have breaks!  Ok, so I'm pretty sure there's sarcasm here!  I think everyone needs a break.  Enjoy your quiet moment! :) 

• imageStarbuck128:

I thought of another mom milestone for me. This is a Texas mom milestone that I grew up hearing about from moms.

Cody got into his first fire ant pile. They were all over his clothes!  I stripped him buck naked (butt naked?) as fast as I could. I'm a real Texas mom now.

Isn't it fun?  try doing it with an 8 year old who is screaming and throwing her arms around, jumping up and down and kicking all at the same time.  It's a great scene in the front yard lol.  Yep, I was that neighbor that day.  I was very tempted to just pick her up and run her next door and throw her in the neighbor's pool.

• Cotterpin you made my day with "nude erection". HAAAA!!!
  • imageStarbuck128:

imageMrMrsandBaby:
    And as for naked, well we should all shower with clothes on.  Really, there is never a reason to be naked - ever.

https://arresteddevelopment.wikia.com/wiki/Never_Nude

https://jezebel.com/never-nude-is-actually-a-real-condition-508191702

I <3 you!  Maybe I can find a support group...

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• imageHattieLove:
    imageMrMrsandBaby:

I have more!

So during the school year I am mostly a lurker, but I've got more time on my hands to post now. I spend most of my day outside with my kids, and I also am an avid camper.  But I will totally choose clothes and sun hats for them over chemical "remedies" to prevent bug bites and sunburn whenever possible.   Why the heck would I want them to be naked outside?

• imageemschott:
    imageHattieLove:
    imageMrMrsandBaby:

I have more!

UO: I will likely never let Allison be outside naked.&nbsp; Ticks, mosquitoes, other bugs sunburn...no thank you.

You know my opinion :-)&nbsp;

I think these are silly excuses that can be easily remedied, but you are using them to justify your squeamishness about being naked and your discomfort with nature. &nbsp;

So during the school year I am mostly a lurker, but I've got more time on my hands to post now. I spend most of my day outside with my kids, and I also am an avid camper. &nbsp;But I will totally choose clothes and sun hats for them over chemical "remedies" to prevent bug bites and sunburn whenever possible. &nbsp; Why the heck would I want them to be naked outside?

I agree. Also even if you are in the "privacy" of your yard who knows what pervert is getting enjoyment out of it. I don't want to take it in that direction but its the truth.
  • Starbuck: okay, so after reading your summary of that post on the WM board, I soooo did not want read the post itself, BUT being the glutton for punishment that I am [and, you know, we're fresh out of bon bons and I needed SOMETHING to do during naptime], I decided to head over and check it out. Anyway, I'm glad I did because I got my share of LOLz for the day. Thanks for the heads up!

Now I'd better go clean before my husband comes home and wonders what I've been doing all day. I hope he doesn't find out I took a break...
  • imagessimon621:
    imageHattieLove:

You should come to New Orleans.  The ground is way too hot to walk around without something on your feet especially at pools.  Once the ground is wet it somehow attracts more heat and it HURTS.  This comes from a person who nearly broke their back slipping at a wave pool from hopping from foot to foot because of the unbearable heat.

Also, I ALWAYS stump my toes in the bottom of pools and when I wear swim shoes I don't.  This is for when I am hanging in the pool not really swimming.  And I've never had uncomfortable water shoes, I usually love how they feel. 

Your right, I was thinking of around here. I have never been to the south and I never think of how the heat causes totally different issues there than it does here.  

• imageMrMrsandBaby:
    imageHattieLove:
    imageMrMrsandBaby:

I have more!

Wow, I had no idea you knew me so well Hattie.  For you to say I'm "squeamish" about being naked...wow, we must be really close.  I love how judgemental you are, really it is a beautiful trait of yours to assume that because I don't want Allison outside naked I'm uncomfortable with nature.  Yup, that's me.  That is why I take her outside as often as I can, we go for walks, hikes, swimming, and play at parks.  Yup, I'm uncomfortable with nature.  And as for naked, well we should all shower with clothes on.  Really, there is never a reason to be naked - ever.

Maybe, just maybe, you don't know a flucking thing about me and should really stop making incorrect and unfounded assumptions.  But I guess it is easy to pass judgement from your moral and parental high horse.

ETA: We clearly have very different personalities and parenting styles.  Not that one is wrong/better/right/worse...just different.  I ALWAYS make my UO/FFFC very general, never targeted toward anyone.  However, you specifically called me out here - that is why my response is what it is.  Although I don't agree with every decision you make in raising your daughter, it doesn't mean I think it is wrong - it isn't like you are the only person on the planet who lets their LO run around naked.  Just different and something I wouldn't do.  So I'm not sure the call out was necessary here.

Okay I was way out of line with the phrasing of my response. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be so hurtful. I was frustrated that this topic was coming up again, when you and I had this specific argument before.

I think your daughter would be perfectly safe and happy if she never went outside naked. It's not what I would do, but it's a perfectly valid choice to make, not to mention that it is definitely your decision.

However, to say that you "ALWAYS" make your UOs general, I definitely remember you calling me out specifically when I objected to the use of the term "gypped". At least here, I was responding to you directly. 

• imageemschott:
    imageHattieLove:
    imageMrMrsandBaby:

I have more!

So during the school year I am mostly a lurker, but I've got more time on my hands to post now. I spend most of my day outside with my kids, and I also am an avid camper.  But I will totally choose clothes and sun hats for them over chemical "remedies" to prevent bug bites and sunburn whenever possible.  Why the heck would I want them to be naked outside?

I didn't mean chemical remedies. I meant things like staying in the shade or sitting on a towel. Sorry if that was unclear.  We do use sunscreen but we don't use any chemical bug spray or anything. 

And I let my daughter naked outside because she loves it. She's a baby and there isn't any reason for her not to be naked on a nice day. She has terrible diaper rash and airing it out works miracles. I want her to feel comfortable with her body. I'm definitely not claiming that children that don't go outside naked will be ashamed of their bodies but this is still what we choose to do. We live in a very secluded area and I know that we're lucky to be in a place we can do this. I don't mean to sound like I'm pressuring anyone else into doing the same. My comment to MMB was entirely inappropriate.  

• imageHattieLove:
    imageemschott:
    imageHattieLove:
    imageMrMrsandBaby:

I have more!

UO: I will likely never let Allison be outside naked.&nbsp; Ticks, mosquitoes, other bugs sunburn...no thank you.

You know my opinion :-)&nbsp;

I think these are silly excuses that can be easily remedied, but you are using them to justify your squeamishness about being naked and your discomfort with nature. &nbsp;

So during the school year I am mostly a lurker, but I've got more time on my hands to post now. I spend most of my day outside with my kids, and I also am an avid camper. &nbsp;But I will totally choose clothes and sun hats for them over chemical "remedies" to prevent bug bites and sunburn whenever possible. &nbsp;Why the heck would I want them to be naked outside?

I didn't mean chemical remedies. I meant things like staying in the shade or sitting on a towel.nbsp;Sorry if that was unclear. nbsp;We do use sunscreen but we don't use any chemical bug spray or anything.nbsp;And I let my daughter naked outside because she loves it. She's a baby and there isn't any reason for her not to be naked on a nice day. She has terrible diaper rash and airing it out works miracles. I want her to feel comfortable with her body. I'm definitely not claiming that children that don't go outside naked will be ashamed of their bodies but this is still what we choose to do. We live in a very secluded area and I know that we're lucky to be in a place we can do this. I don't mean to sound like I'm pressuring anyone else into doing the same. My comment to MMB was entirely inappropriate. nbsp;

I guess it's easy to judge others when you've never lived outside of your secluded happy place.
  • imageStarbuck128:

imageJessicameron:
    Starbuck: okay, so after reading your summary of that post on the WM board, I soooo did not want read the post itself, BUT being the glutton for punishment that I am [and, you know, we're fresh out of bon bons and I needed SOMETHING to do during naptime], I decided to head over and check it out. Anyway, I'm glad I did because I got my share of LOLz for the day. Thanks for the heads up! Now I'd better go clean before my husband comes home and wonders what I've been doing all day. I hope he doesn't find out I took a break...

Don't forget to pack his suitcase.

I think this is a bit disingenuous.  To be fair, there were quite a few WM who were calling out OP and subsequent posters who were making stupid comments.  From reading the thread, the majority of posters were supporting the notion that SAH is just as hard as WM and that the age old war on this topic is dumb.  This is not a new debate nor is it a new issue, so you really shouldn't be surprised that there are a few outliers who think crazy things.  Yes, I'm being a little protective of WMs and the WM board, but I just felt it was worth mentioning that not all WMs or WMs on the WM board think this way.  

• imageSept07b2b:
    imageStarbuck128:

imageJessicameron:
    Starbuck: okay, so after reading your summary of that post on the WM board, I soooo did not want read the post itself, BUT being the glutton for punishment that I am [and, you know, we're fresh out of bon bons and I needed SOMETHING to do during naptime], I decided to head over and check it out. Anyway, I'm glad I did because I got my share of LOLz for the day. Thanks for the heads up!

Now I'd better go clean before my husband comes home and wonders what I've been doing all day. I hope he doesn't find out I took a break...

Don't forget to pack his suitcase.

I think this is a bit disingenuous. &nbsp;To be fair, there were quite a few WM who were calling out OP and subsequent posters who were making stupid comments. &nbsp;From reading the thread, the majority of posters were supporting the notion that SAH is just as hard as WM and that the age old war on this topic is dumb. &nbsp;This is not a new debate nor is it a new issue, so you really shouldn't be surprised that there are a few outliers who think crazy things. &nbsp;Yes, I'm being a little protective of WMs and the WM board, but I just felt it was worth mentioning that not all WMs or WMs on the WM board think this way.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Yep. I can read. I've also been around long enough to know it's not a new debate. I mentioned the WM board because that's where the thread was... I didn't say "omg can you believe those working moms?" I said the thread made me laugh, and it did. Both the crazies, and the responses from the non crazies. Oh, and the girl with the baby who couldn't figure out what to do with herself all day. See? I rolled my eyes at a SAH mom, too. I'm an equal opportunity eye roller!
  • imageJessicameron:
     Yep. I can read. I've also been around long enough to know it's not a new debate. I mentioned the WM board because that's where the thread was... I didn't say "omg can you believe those working moms?" I said the thread made me laugh, and it did. Both the crazies, and the responses from the non crazies. Oh, and the girl with the baby who couldn't figure out what to do with herself all day. See? I rolled my eyes at a SAH mom, too. I'm an equal opportunity eye roller!

Fair enough.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"