Breastfeeding

So I'm on day 3 of a juice fast....

I posted a couple weeks ago about not being able to lose weight and hanging on to breastfeeding fat. So I did a lot of research and decided to do a juice cleanse. I read Natalia Rose's book and she did a 5-day cleanse while nursing and she had plenty of milk so I decided to do a 3-day. Of course I paid careful attention to my nursing and making sure she was satisfied, otherwise I would have added food after day 1. But I'm on the last day and not only have I dropped 8 pounds I feel like I have MORE milk than I did before. My clothes fit me better, but I was shocked that I was down 8 lb because that seems like a lot, which leads me to believe it was all water weight because I've been peeing like crazy.

I have 6 16oz juices and as much water as I want all day. Yes, I get hungry when it's getting time for another juice but I feel great otherwise! Lots of energy and a leaner tummy! Juice #6 is actually a cashew milk with cinnamon and stevia. Tastes like a smoothie, but it's full of protein and fat. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: So I'm on day 3 of a juice fast....

• It is not necessarily about how much fat, calories, etc. you are getting, though that is a huge concern. But, as pp said, cleanses/fasts release toxins into your body that WILL, even if just a little, get released through breastmilk.

I am not against juicing at all. It's a great thing. My husband successfully followed a juice fast for over a year and lost a great deal of weight (and kept it off almost entirely). I was still TTC when he started and considered doing it with him until I found the warnings that said to not follow the diet while TTC, pregnant, or nursing. It is not safe for your baby.

As to the losing weight, every new mom wants that baby weight gone. I was already overweight when I got pregnant and would love to be down from my pre-pregnancy weight by August when I am going on a cruise with my whole family. However, I know that if I eat too few calories - this was proven to me when DS was less than two weeks old - my baby does not get enough from me. And there is nothing more important than that. I'm not judging, or  maybe I am, but I know that I can be healthy and maybe take off a pound or two here and there while keeping my baby healthy and fed. 

Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • imageCrash Into Me:

How come nobody can ever tell me exactly what toxins are released/cleansed during these processes?  I think that's funny.

Why isn't your liver doing its job?

I won't even pretend to know all of the science behind it, but sometimes your liver doesn't do it's job. MOST people don't need to be cleaned out. Some people do, usually people who are severely overweight and/or have some type of medical condition. For those people, their livers really are overloaded. But, most of us, even if we are not obese, have crap in our systems and when we change our diets like that, we are forcing it out of our bodies.

I don't generally believe in drastic diets like that myself and was completely against it when my husband first wanted to do it. The documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" completely changed my perspective, mostly because the man behind it did not actually start out on the juice diet to lose weight; he did it to help heal some medical conditions, which he did. 

Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCrash Into Me:

How come nobody can ever tell me exactly what toxins are released/cleansed during these processes?  I think that's funny. All kinds of stuff, mineral and heavy metal deposits, undigested food (like throat stones), chemical build-ups. Your body can store harmful things and quarantine them to deal with later. When your body gets to take a break from digesting (which uses up a lot of energy), then the processing of these quarantines can begin. Usually you need to be fasting for a week before this can really get started.

Why isn't your liver doing its job? It is, but there is a lot of work for the liver to do.Fasting can be like an "oil change" for your liver. Everything it didn't have time to do can now be done. Your body prioritizes, so whatever comes out during a fast is likely not the worst of what has found its way into your body. That should already b gone.

There are many systems in your body that get backed up. Periodic "fasting" is an ancient tradition, often dictated by religious tenants, designed to aide the body in all of its functions. It is a practice for the maintenance of health.

I hope that answers your questions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSidraJedi:
    imageCrash Into Me:

How come nobody can ever tell me exactly what toxins are released/cleansed during these processes?  I think that's funny. All kinds of stuff, mineral and heavy metal deposits, undigested food (like throat stones), chemical build-ups. Your body can store harmful things and quarantine them to deal with later. When your body gets to take a break from digesting (which uses up a lot of energy), then the processing of these quarantines can begin. Usually you need to be fasting for a week before this can really get started.

Why isn't your liver doing its job? It is, but there is a lot of work for the liver to do.Fasting can be like an "oil change" for your liver. Everything it didn't have time to do can now be done. Your body prioritizes, so whatever comes out during a fast is likely not the worst of what has found its way into your body. That should already b gone.

There are many systems in your body that get backed up. Periodic "fasting" is an ancient tradition, often dictated by religious tenants, designed to aide the body in all of its functions. It is a practice for the maintenance of health.

This entire post just needs a big banner that says "NONE OF THESE STATEMENTS HAVE BEEN PROVEN OR EVEN THEORIZED BY EVIDENCE-BASED SCIENCE." 

• imagesooner1981:
    This entire post just needs a big banner that says "NONE OF THESE STATEMENTS HAVE BEEN PROVEN OR EVEN THEORIZED BY EVIDENCE-BASED SCIENCE." 

Yup.

Evidence based science is so boring, though. Not nearly as interesting as made up sciencey sounding factish things. 

• imagesooner1981:
    imageSidraJedi:
    imageCrash Into Me:

Believe what you want and make any statements you want to based on those beliefs but there is no need to be rude. I was just trying to answer her questions as best I could. I wasn't trying to win anyone over with fancy sounding statements. This post was originally about some lady wanting to lose weight fasting and I took a risk even acknowledging a reply that was off topic. I'm not pretending to be some expert with all of the answers. Why don't you chime in with your evidence based scientific information instead of cheap jibes?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSidraJedi:

I am an avid cleanser. I would never fast while BF (I'm about to go dig out my Natalia Rose book and 86 it!) The only reason being that fasting/cleansing WILL (and this is the reason you do it) release toxins that have lodged in the body to be flushed out. Some of that WILL get into your bloodstream and whats in your blood is in your BM!

Good thing it was only a 3 day cleanse. You basically just got rid of bloat and "phantom weight" and after a mere 3 days didn't jostle any heavy metals out of your system! 3 days is really only enough to give your digestion a break (as far as health goes) and barely enough to lose some phantom weight.

A juice cleanse is great AFTER you've finished BF. I plan on doing a cleanse after I finish BF. It will help me feel refreshed from all of the hard work my digestion had to do. But you will never catch me doing anything to cleanse (except a dry brush to stimulate my lymph nodes) during BF!

Yes, I definitely feel less bloated and I'm sure a lot was water weight. After the holidays if I am not BFing I might attempt to do a 5/6 day cleanse. Thanks for the info! And I also dry brush every day!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSidraJedi:
    imagesooner1981:
    imageSidraJedi:
    imageCrash Into Me:

Believe what you want and make any statements you want to based on those beliefs but there is no need to be rude. I was just trying to answer her questions as best I could. I wasn't trying to win anyone over with fancy sounding statements. This post was originally about some lady wanting to lose weight fasting and I took a risk even acknowledging a reply that was off topic. I'm not pretending to be some expert with all of the answers. Why don't you chime in with your evidence based scientific information instead of cheap jibes?

The evidence-based scientific information I shared is that none of your "claims" are backed up by any scientific studies.   None at all.  There is absolutely zero evidence that the liver needs to "rest" or be "cleansed."  There is zero evidence that heavy metals build up in our bodies and need to be cleansed on a regular basis.  It is hard to "prove" a negative--other than to say that none of your claims are accepted by science...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"