Working Moms

How big is your house?

Inspired by another board, I'm curious how big your house is. Not in a bragging way. We are currently in a 920 sq. foot two bedroom condo, and it is actually ok for our family right now. We do want to move in the next few years and want a bit more space (and mainly not have to worry about neighbors and have our own yard), but I'd be ok with not much more square footage. We do live in a HCOL area, so that plays a role! Although DH has said 1100 is his minimum. I've read a few times that the average house size in the 1950's was 983 square feet, so I'm curious how big your house is and if you think that is a good sized space for your needs?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How big is your house?

• suv75suv75 member
    Just bought a 3500 sq foot 5 bed/5bath house. Just enough space for our family
  • Leap08Leap08 member
    I think our house is a little more than 1800 sq feet - 4 bed, 3 bath, nice size yard. It's about the right size for our family. I honestly can't imagine having a much bigger house. Maybe another few hundred sq feet so the girls could have a playroom.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • 1300 and old so no large closets. We are looking for at least 2000 in our next house and large closets 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • KisstyKissty member
    About 2800 - 4 bed 3 bath - 2 story.  With a little improvement in the layout it would work out better.  I don't need a formal living room.  It's become the cat room bc it's very sunny.

imageimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• jlaOKjlaOK member
    1400 sq ft - 3 bed, 2 bath.  We are a little cramped in our house, especially since I WFH and that chews up one of the bedrooms.  We are trying to stay in it as long as we can to build equity.  I hope our next house will be 2500-2700 sq ft.  I live in a LCOL area.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• 3800 sq ft.  4 bedrooms, 5 bath.  Square footage wise, it's plenty big for us, but ideally, I would have liked 5 bedrooms.
  • Currently in 1700 sq ft 3 BR 2 Bath.  Open floor plan so the living rooms face each other.  We have five kids total, three who live here full time, so it's killing me.  I also WFH full time and have no office.

If the planets align we will be moving to a 3500 sq ft 4 BR 3 Bath + office with door off the master, with a game room with a door that closes on half an acre.  Formal living space will be fifth bedroom when needed, it's seperated.

• 3600sqft 4bedroom, 3.5 bath, with office and bonus room.  We just moved from an 1800sq ft home after saving up for 5 years.  This is our forever home and we did a lot of financial sacrificing through the years to get it and the payoff is awesome!  Loving our big house!
  • ccamccam member
    We just built our house and moved in this past October.  It's a 3200sf cape with 4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths.  I love our house, but the cleaning is a lot.  Sometimes I wish we lived in a small ranch, but the room will be nice if we have more than 1 LO.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• My house is small.  3 bedroom townhome 1500 square feet.  It will become even smaller as we expand our family.  Ideally I would like at least 3000 square feet and a big yard, but that is impossible in our area.  

I grew up in a huge home, and DH grew up in a one bedroom apartment with 4 people so we are used to different amounts of space. 

Ella - 10/19/10
    Julia and Aubrey - 4/3/14

• I agree that so much about a house is layout more than sq footage.

Our house is 2100 sq ftt.  4 bed, 2.5 bath.  We're one and done and it's plenty of room for the 3 of us. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• 2600 sq ft, which is OK for now.  But, for our next house, I'm looking at 3500+.  We have so many guests who come for days or a week at a time.  Then, DH runs a business from our house.  And I wfh 1-2 days a week.  Eventually, I would like the girls to each have their own room and to have 2 separate office spaces or dual purpose rooms for DH and I to work.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're currently in a 980 sf 2 BR/1 BA. We're in the process of building a house, it'll be 1950 sf. So double the size! With that, we will be getting an additional bedroom, but the rest of the additional space is pretty much all closets and bathrooms. Our current house has 2 tiny closets and that's it! It was built in the 1940s, and I know plenty of families have lived in it over the years, but it feels tiny to us now that we have a LO. I'm happy with the size we're buying, I know that if I have a big house I'll fill it with stuff, and DH is kind of a minimalist so he'll be happy keeping the "stuff" in check. 

My MIL was raised in a 3 BR/1 BA, 1000 sf house, and her parents had 6 kids! So it certainly can be done. I don't know how though. The funny thing is that her parents put an addition on that house, but not til the kids were out of the house.  

Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • jefkjefk member
    We have about 1300 sq ft, 3 bed/1 bath with over an acre of land (which is unheard of for the price we paid in our area - very HCOL).  Like so many other PPs, our house was built in the 40s and has small rooms with very little closet space.  We have no garage, but we have a very nice, large shed and a dry basement for storage.  It functions for us right now (2 adults, 1 baby arriving tomorrow and a dog), but I'd love something bigger.  Ideally I'd like around 2000 sq ft, 3-4 bed, 2 baths.  We're planning to stay here for at least 5 more years.
  • currently - an under 900sq ft one bedroom/one bath apartment with a large living room (which doubles as a dining room as well).

Moving next month into a 4 bed/3.5 bath home.  No idea of square footage but it has a family room, a formal living room, separate dining area and a decent sized back yard.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't even know our square footage...oops. But we have a 5BR/3.5BA house and I already feel like we're running out of room (well, storage space really). I wish we had a basement. Otherwise, we have plenty of room.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• I think ours is like 1700 sf- but that includes a 3 season porch that is really a 2 season (no AC or heat so it's either too cold or too hot to be in most of the year), and a "workshop" that has very low ceilings that we mainly use for storage. 3 bed 3 bath. We are 3 person family and I always thought even with just the 3 of us we'd need 4 bedrooms (1 for kid, 1 for parents, 1 guest room for when my parents visit, and 1 office). I've now realized 3 bedrooms is fine, as long as they are good sized. With laptops and wireless internet I don't feel the need for an office anymore, although a living room that is big enough for a work station for doing bills, homework, etc would be nice. I *hate* the layout of our house and think a nicely laid out 2000 sf house would be perfect. Right now we have a teeny tiny kitchen and teeny tiny dining room so we literally eat on TV trays in our living room. But we are lucky that our 1950s house has oodles of storage- there's a half story that has our bedroom in it and all the knee walls have little doors to stick stuff in.
  • We are building a 2200 sq ft house. This doesn't include 1100 sq ft unfinished basement which we plan to finish in the next year or two. We recently moved out of a 1400 sq ft condo. It was tight in the condo but we could've made it work. Both homes are 3 BR, so we are really gaining space in the living areas, plus a playroom.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have 1500 sq feet, 3 bedrooms/2 baths.  Ideally, I would want about 2000 sq feet, with office space and maybe a playroom.  However, I don't intend to move just to have more space.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • 1175 sq ft, 3br, 2ba townhouse. Its the right number of rooms for us at present but all the rooms are tiny! My H works at home, just one baby and two cats. Feels crowded and there's no yard, just gravel outside. I look forward to one day moving out of this VHCOL area and getting more space.
  • 6 months ago we went from our 950 sq ft condo to our 3000sq ft house.  3 bedrooms, 2 full baths on 1 acre.  We have a dinign room, living room, family room and my husbands office b/c he works at home.  We are going to be one and done and this is our forever house so it more than fits our needs.  We live in a very HCOL area. 
  • We live in a 1200 sq foot 3 BR, 2 bath ranch. I am definitely feeling cramped with our family of 4 and we just found out that my step daughter would like to move in with us full time to attend high school in our area. I would like to sell the house and move in to something larger, but I don't know when that will happen. For right now, we need to make the most of our space- the layout is nice and open, plus we have vaulted ceilings that make it look larger.  We also live on a park and have a large, fenced back yard. We have a single garage that we do not use for anything except storage and we are thinking about converting that in to a bonus room to maximize space.

* If anyone else lives in a small space and has some suggestions on space saving tips or converting a single garage in to a playroom or bonus room, I would love to hear about it:)*

• ReeB83ReeB83 member
    We're renting. Our last apartment was 500 with 2 bedroom and we were on top of each other. Our new place that we just moved into two weeks ago is 1300 sq ft, three bedrooms one bathroom with a sunroom. Kinda big for us now but finally enough room to expand our family.
  • 1800sq ft townhouse. 2 bedrooms (man cave in the basement could be a 3rd but not for a little kid), 2.5 bath, no yard but a small deck.  The 2nd bedroom is big enough for 2 kids but if we want more we will have to move.  I would stay here forever if it had a bigger yard and if we only have 2 kids

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We built a 3000 sq ft ranch style home a year ago. It has 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, an office and a bonus rm. we also have a large screened in pool and porch. It's a great home and plenty of room for 3 of us and 1 on the way, but the bedrooms are kind of small. No basement which drives me crazy but that's Florida... 
  • It's too big, certainly bigger than we need.

5bedrooms, 5 bathrooms.  3 acres of land.  5000sqft-ish which includes the walkout basement.

I stalked this house and I do love it but sometimes I think, too much.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • We live in a 1950 cape cod that is about 1,700sqft. It has 3 bedrooms 2.5 baths, den, 1 car garage and 3 season sun porch. I wouldn't mind something just a little bit bigger maybe just over 2,000sqft Just an extra bedroom and a little bigger basement that I can finished for a family/game room.

Also want to make sure we get a 2 car garage in the next house. Not sure that will ever happen though we made sure to buy a large enough house so if we could never move again it was no big deal. I grew up in a 750sqft house with 3 other people. Was tight but we survived.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • On June 28th we close on a lovely 2000sf 4bed/2bath house with a nice cul de sac yard, pool, spa and patio! Can't wait!

Anniversary
  • We live in an 1100 sq ft 2/1 bungalow. No basement since we live two blocks from the bay. We want to upgrade to a 3 bedroom but don't really care about a whole lot of space. Outdoor space is more important as we love to garden.

• reb84reb84 member
    We have 2 adults, a toddler and a chihuahua in a 3 bedroom 2,000sf home.  I think the space is fine, would just readjust some areas if I could.  We have a breakfast area and a dinning room, the dinning room table hasn't been used in more than a year for eating.  We're moving to FL next year and I think we'd do just fine in a smaller place.....that is until we decide to go for number 2 or hubby finally talks me into a big dog. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We are 1200 sq ft plus 700 sq ft of finish in the basement. 3 bedroom 1 full and 2-3/4 bathrooms and a huge yard...which kind of sucks because it's a lot of yard work that DH has to do (snicker...lol!). It's a good size for us, I don't like to spend a lot of time cleaning so a smaller space means less cleaning. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"