Babies: 3 - 6 Months

When to become Concerned

My son is 4 months and a week. He had great muscle control from the start, so much so that the pediatrician told me to watch him closely bc he would be an early roller. However, he still hasn't rolled. During tummy time he just lifts his head up and looks around. He hates to be on his back except in his crib and while he'll kick his feet he just doesn't seem concerned about rolling. I really thought by 4 months he'd roll in one direction. I'm not concerned yet, but I think I might be by 5 months. Anyone else have a late roller???

Re: When to become Concerned

• I am right with you. Mine is doing the same thing lol I am not concerned yet.Mine loves being on his back though lol
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • DS was a late roller. He had a pavlik harness for hip dysplasia, though, which I think delayed him. I don't think my pedi gets concerned until around 6 months for rolling over.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DS was a very late roller, he did everything at once around 8 or 9 months.  DD can roll, but only has a few times.  It's not a major milestone so you shouldn't be concerned.  It happens when they're ready.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Try not to compare your child to others. Every baby is different and every baby developes at their own pace. Head control is more important then rolling also.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• BBS!BBS! member
    I'm a child psychologist who tests children for various disorders for a living. On top of that, I have a special needs brother. I can't help but be paranoid that something will be wrong. When all you see are children with disabilities you forget that there are "normal" children out there too. I just hoped he would be early with everything so I wouldn't worry. Oh well
  • imageBBS!:
    I'm a child psychologist who tests children for various disorders for a living. On top of that, I have a special needs brother. I can't help but be paranoid that something will be wrong. When all you see are children with disabilities you forget that there are "normal" children out there too. I just hoped he would be early with everything so I wouldn't worry. Oh well

But why early? As a professional, you should know that there is such a wide range of "normal," and to put undue pressure on your LO and on you as a mom for your LO to exceed "normal" is not healthy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CellisCellis member
    My DS is almost 6 months and he's still not rolling (either way). I don't think he's close to doing it either. He just doesn't care about it. He likes to sit up and stand, but not rolling. I'm not worried.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • BBS!BBS! member
    Oh, I don't expect him to be early; I just thought it would be nice so I wouldn't worry about anything :). Having an autistic brother who is also mentally I knew going into this that he was higher risk, so I was just hoping he would be early with things to calm my fears.
  • imageBBS!:
    Oh, I don't expect him to be early; I just thought it would be nice so I wouldn't worry about anything :). Having an autistic brother who is also mentally I knew going into this that he was higher risk, so I was just hoping he would be early with things to calm my fears.

There is nothing to be concerned about at this point. Celebrate the accomplishments your baby is making now.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• 5 months isn't a late roller.
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • My LO did not roll until 5 months but its still only in one direction and im not concerned. My pedi said rolling is not really a milestone they look for. They are more concerned with sitting up by 6 months (she does this now). I think your LO sounds normal and you will be amazed by the strength they gain between 4 and 5 months. As long as they have head control and you are practicing tummy time, you are on the right track. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We were also told dd would be an early roller from great muscle tone, and while she has rolled before, she completely has no interest in doing it again. She instead gets her butt in the air and screams when she is stuck. Fwiw, ds has low muscle tone and it is pretty obvious that there were issues then. He needed PT for a while.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageBBS!:

My daughter rolled on time but didn't walk (or stand) until 20 months...and she is totally normal and healthy, and is now just about caught up to age mates on gross motor (climbing like a monkey, running, and just starting to jump).

My son has awesome head control (early) and can sit decently supported, but he has not yet rolled (at 5.5 months). He does roll onto his side from his back, but he hasn't gotten that leg over yet to get him onto his stomach. No concern.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"