Breastfeeding

Extended BF Weekly Check-In (6/12/13)

Good Morning and Happy Wednesday!  Since Litzo is enjoying her vacation this week, I'm filling in.  Hope everyone has a great weekend...don't forget Father's Day!  (Thank God for Amazon Prime shipping...)

(For the purposes of this post nursing past one year is considered extended. Lurkers welcome. Questions are occasionally recycled)

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?

2. How did you get your LO to ask for milk, either verbally or sign language?  Do you differentiate between breast milk & animal/plant milk?

3.  What is the hardest part about nursing for you at this stage?

4. What special thing does your LO do that makes any thought of weaning go by the wayside? 

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want put into rotation - please post it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Extended BF Weekly Check-In (6/12/13)

• 1.  DS is 17 months

2.  I have always said and signed "milk" at every nursing session since he was 5 months old.  He still doesn't say milk, but he just starting signing it last week and I was ecstatic.  It just took repetition and patience.  Unfortunately, we haven't distinguished between my milk and goat's milk, so I can't ask him if he wants milk when what I really want is for him to have goat's milk.  He will throw a fit if I try to give him a sippy when he thought he was getting the tap. Not sure how to work on this one. 

3.  The hardest part is definitely him just nursing out of comfort or boredom during the day.  If we are out and busy, he is happy with his sippy cup.  If we are home, he wants me constantly.  It gets to the point where I actually have to avoid him when I work from home or he will insist on sitting on my lap and nursing throughout the day. 

4.  The best is when I get home from work and kneel down, he steps up on my thighs, puts his arms around my neck and signs milk while burying his head onto my shoulder.  It is the sweetest thing - I can't believe he'll outgrow this one day.  Boobie smiles are a close second.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    imagelisac1017:

4.  The best is when I get home from work and kneel down, he steps up on my thighs, puts his arms around my neck and signs milk while burying his head onto my shoulder.  It is the sweetest thing - I can't believe he'll outgrow this one day.  Boobie smiles are a close second.

I'm not an extended BF'er yet (hope to be one day), but I lurk and wanted to say this just made my day.  I was sitting here feeling a little sorry for myself that I'm stuck in the Mother's Room at work pumping again, and reading this made me remember why I'm doing this.  Thanks for sharing!

image imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • imagelisac1017:

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? 13 months

2. How did you get your LO to ask for milk, either verbally or sign language?  Do you differentiate between breast milk & animal/plant milk?  I have been signing "milk"  pretty consistently from the time she was 8 months or so.  She starting signing back around 11 months (melted my heart way more than seeing her do other signs).  Right now DD only gets pumped BM in her sippy cup. I drink raw cow's milk so I guess I'll just refer to it as raw milk to DD since that is what we call it anyway. 

3.  What is the hardest part about nursing for you at this stage? DD is still waking in the MOTN to nurse and after almost 14 months of this, I'm getting tired of not sleeping a full night.  That being said, I still get up every, single, night to nurse her.  I love nursing her, but hate the disrupted sleep at the same time.

4. What special thing does your LO do that makes any thought of weaning go by the wayside? Similar to pp, as soon as I come home from work DD runs over to me, smiles and signs "milk."  I can't ever imagine her not wanting to nurse.  I know the day will come, but for now we enjoy every second of our nursing relationship.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

• 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?

16 months old 

2. How did you get your LO to ask for milk, either verbally or sign language?  Do you differentiate between breast milk & animal/plant milk?

It's really cute, she says "boot boot" to ask to nurse, I think sort of like "boob".  And she says "booty" if she gets really excited.  She also pulls my shirt down. 

She still wants to be nursed to sleep, which is normally ok, but lately she wants to nurse from each side like 10 times, so I'm running out of patience.  I only have 2 boobs and she doesn't care! 

4. What special thing does your LO do that makes any thought of weaning go by the wayside? 

When she smiles at me while nursing :)  And when she's done she says "all done" and tries to put my shirt back up.  It's cute. 

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want put into rotation - please post it.

Nothing new here. 

• 1. How old is your nursing LOs? I am BFing both my 9 month old and almost 3 year old.

2. How did you get your LO to ask for milk, either verbally or sign language?nbsp; Do you differentiate between breast milk amp; animal/plant milk?
    We signed milk at each
    feeding starting at around 2 months. He started understanding around 5 months and signing it to us at around 6 or 7 months. When I introduced WCM I referred to it as "new milk" one time and it stuck. He said "new nilk" for WCM and signed milk for BM from 12 months to 15 months. At that point it switched to saying "milk" vs. "mama milk."

3.What is the hardest part about nursing for you at this stage?
    He is verbal enough to negotiate when I try to distract him... "Well, I can go first and Rhett can have like cheerios or something. I think that's a great idea!"

It is the only guaranteed way to get some quiet time with him. So sweet. I'm getting close to starting the weaning process though and I will definitely miss the quiet cuddles!
  • 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?  DS is 14.5months

2. How did you get your LO to ask for milk, either verbally or sign language?  Do you differentiate between breast milk & animal/plant milk?  I taught him to sign for milk, he does it sometimes normally he just crawls onto my lap and puts himself into the nursing position

3.  What is the hardest part about nursing for you at this stage? I can't think of anything, he's pretty easy.  Maybe it's being away from him all day while at work and having to pump (I still pump twice a day at work)

4. What special thing does your LO do that makes any thought of weaning go by the wayside?  I love how he falls asleep while nursing every night.  It's so peacful and I get to relax at the same time ;)

BabyFetus Ticker

• 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? 20 months

2. How did you get your LO to ask for milk, either verbally or sign language?  Do you differentiate between breast milk & animal/plant milk? I said milk and signed it.  He started verbally saying it first "mulk mulk" but then signed it also.  He never used to differentiate, but in the past couple of weeks he now asks for "mommy milk" or "Hisname milk" (with the latter being WCM)

3.  What is the hardest part about nursing for you at this stage? I love our evening nursing sessions, but at the same time, that's time I would like to be able to be getting ready for the next day.

4. What special thing does your LO do that makes any thought of weaning go by the wayside? No good special thing, just illness.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. How old is your nursing LOs?
    13 months
    2. How did you get your LO to ask for milk, either verbally or sign language?nbsp; Do you differentiate between breast milk amp; animal/plant milk?
    He comes to me and puts his head on my chest and then smiled at me while making a sucking face it's so sweet

3.nbsp; What is the hardest part about nursing for you at this stage
    The fact he still doesn't drink well from a cup so other people find it hard to take him for a long period of time

?4. What special thing does your LO do that makes any thought of weaning go by the wayside?nbsp;
    We just aren't ready neither of us, it's our time, it's home base

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want put into rotation please post it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?  She just turned 19 months

2. How did you get your LO to ask for milk, either verbally or sign language?  Do you differentiate between breast milk & animal/plant milk? She does the sign for milk and pulls on my shirt when she wants bm.  Lately though I try to offer wcm in a sippy before bm if it's during the day.   Sometimes I think she is thirsty when she signs for milk.  If she doesn't want the sippy, she's very clear about pushing it away and still signing for milk.

3.  What is the hardest part about nursing for you at this stage? The hardest part is her constantly pulling my shirt or putting her hand down my shift.  Or her signing for milk when we're out in public because we only nurse at home. 

4. What special thing does your LO do that makes any thought of weaning go by the wayside?  NOTHING!!  I think that's part of why she hasn't weaned at night because she doesn't have a favorite blankey or lovey.  I have started giving her a sippy of milk while we do storytime, but she still wants to nurse to fall asleep.

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want put into rotation - please post it.  Nursing this far is actually not as big of a deal as I thought it would be.  DD does still love to nurse, but it's not constant and it isn't overly time consuming for me.  The biggest challenge is that I'm the one who has to put her to sleep, but otherwise it's totally great! 

My one question is for those who still nurse but don't pump to replace a nursing session.  How did you do that?  I'm going on a work trip in a few weeks for 3 nights.  I still nurse in the morning and at bedtime but was kind of considering not pumping.  Will that cause us to wean?  I don't think DD actually drinks much anymore but I don't want to dry up until she's ready.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?
    2 years 

I call breastmilk "snackypoo".  He'll call it "nacky" on occasion but usually he just points at my boobs and make a guttural sound, lol.  We call cow's milk "milk".  He doesn't say "milk" yet so when it wants it he either gets his sippy or points at the fridge and then shows us what he wants when we open it.

Him demanding to nurse every time I sit down.  He doesn't take no for an answer well, either. 

I love the few minutes of quiet we get nursing when I first get home from work.  Also, I take him into bed to nurse in the early morning before we get up and I love the blissful smile he gives me when he's just finished his morning snackypoos. 

We just found out that I am PG this week, so I am officially PG and BFing!  I swear DS knows because he's suddenly become more clingy and wants to BF more.  We haven't decided yet if we'll tandem nurse, I think we'll see how it's going once the time comes, he'll be almost 3 years by the time LO #2 gets here.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• imagemrscjmb9410:

4. The funny parts.

DH asked: 'DS, what is so good about milkies?' DS said: Mama nah-nahs mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. And then DS laughed for about 2 minutes.

I asked the other day: Would you like some milkies? (I proceed to get organised, lift my shirt, etc.) DS, on seeing my breast: *clapping hands* a ball! nah-nahs a ball! 

That is funny, especially the bolded! Big Smile

1. 14 mo

2. I haven't really tried to get him to ask for milk, since it's pretty obvious when he wants to nurse. I have started saying, "Do you want to nurse?" when I know he does and lately he sometimes says, "nuh nuh" when he wants to nurse. He doesn't get any other plant or animal milk.

3. That I still have to pump at work. DS is MSPI so I haven't given him any other animal milk, so I still have to send BM to DC. I'm so over pumping.

4. He just loves it so much. It calms him down and soothes him, and I love the cuddles. 

• This is new for me! Exciting :)

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? She'll be 2 next week- holy cow :0

2. How did you get your LO to ask for milk, either verbally or sign language?  Do you differentiate between breast milk & animal/plant milk? My LO says "milk" when she wants cow milk and "shursh" when she wants to nurse. She can say "nurse", but "shursh" was her attempt at the word as a baby and it has stuck.

3.  What is the hardest part about nursing for you at this stage? Probably the times when LO has an unexpected increase in her demand. We get used to nursing only a few times throughout the day, and then some day she just won't do anything else.

4. What special thing does your LO do that makes any thought of weaning go by the wayside? She closes her eyes and gets this sleepy-happy look on her face the first time we nurse when I get home from work. And I still get the little head rushes of oxytocin every now and again. Basically, I love nursing as a time to relax and connect and focus on her. It is also the best response I know to a temper tantrum ;)

•  

imageJenny952:

My one question is for those who still nurse but don't pump to replace a nursing session.  How did you do that?  I'm going on a work trip in a few weeks for 3 nights.  I still nurse in the morning and at bedtime but was kind of considering not pumping.  Will that cause us to wean?  I don't think DD actually drinks much anymore but I don't want to dry up until she's ready.

I started working FT (I was PT before that) when LO was about 15 months old and I stopped pumping then. During the day she gets cow's milk. My supply seems to have regulated accordingly- it actually went very smoothly. I used to feel a little engorged (nothing like when she was a newborn!) at the end of the work day, but that doesn't usually happen any more. We're still going strong!

I went to LLL meetings around the time I made that decision and it helped to talk to others who had done it, too.

imagemrscjmb9410:

I asked the other day: Would you like some milkies? (I proceed to get organised, lift my shirt, etc.) DS, on seeing my breast: *clapping hands* a ball! nah-nahs a ball! 

That is hilarious!! My LO will point to my nipples sometimes, so I tried teaching her the word. She says it like "apple", though, so she'll point to my nipples and very seriously tell me, "apple."

Also, sometimes she talks about "nurse" like it's separate from me. Like, in the mornings when I leave she'll say, "Bye-bye Mama! Bye-bye nurse!" That cracks me up.

• Hi EmpireMomof3, My little guy's teeth are curved too. I hadn't thought about it being from nursing but maybe it is... he nurses an average of five times a day. I had thought it was from biting on toys when he's teething. I had read not to let them bite on toys unless they are teething toys but it was impossible to prevent him from doing that all day every day so I gave up. I wonder if it is from nursing though now that you mentioned it.
  • Hi everyone, I just have to say that so many of these posts are sooo cute and funny! I really enjoyed reading them. Thanks for sharing! I hope DS is that cute when he becomes more verbal!

Oh, and I thought of a question... does anyone think that nursing has made their LO favor mommy over daddy? DS makes it really obvious that I'm #1 and DH gets jealous. I keep telling him it will probably reverse when DS is older and playing sports with him, but I have to admit I love being DS's #1 right now!

• imagelisac1017:
    Good Morning and Happy Wednesday!  Since Litzo is enjoying her vacation this week, I'm filling in.  Hope everyone has a great weekend...don't forget Father's Day!  (Thank God for Amazon Prime shipping...)

(For the purposes of this post nursing past one year is considered extended. Lurkers welcome. Questions are occasionally recycled)

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? 28 1/2 months and I'm currently 38 weeks pregnant

2. How did you get your LO to ask for milk, either verbally or sign language?  Do you differentiate between breast milk & animal/plant milk?  It's obviously changed over time.  She speaks very well so if she wants to nurse she asks for "milk from Mommy's breast" and if she wants rice milk she ask for rice milk or milk in a cup.  

3.  What is the hardest part about nursing for you at this stage?  DH not as supportive as he was before she turned 2.  He summed it up the other day by saying that when she use a gramatically and anatomically correct sentence to ask for milk it's time to wean.  

4. What special thing does your LO do that makes any thought of weaning go by the wayside? She is super excited to nurse with her baby sister.  

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want put into rotation - please post it.  Those of you who have tandem nursed, when did you milk turn to colastrum?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"