One & Done: Only child

Random questions..

Just some random questions to see who's here and when. This board can seem kinda of quiet, yet so supportive. Interested?
Are you a WM or do you SAH?

What other boards do you lurk/post on?

What's your favorite benefit/thing about being OAD?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Random questions..

• Tbd143Tbd143 member
    Right now I am a SAHM

Parenting
    Stay at Home Moms
    Preschool
    24 plus

I like all the "extras" I can give DS that we would not be able to afford with more. Private school, travel, etc...
  • imageTbd143:
    Just some random questions to see who's here and when. This board can seem kinda of quiet, yet so supportive. Interested? Are you a WM or do you SAH? What other boards do you lurk/post on? What's your favorite benefit/thing about being OAD?

I'm a working mom. I'm a Communications/Art Director for a university. (I just got a promotion that added a lot of new responsibilities so my title is kind of up in the air right now.) I love my job and they couldn't be more understanding of family needs, which helps a lot.

I post on my BMB, Toddlers 12-24 months, Nurseries and Baby Gear and I lurk on Working Moms and Baby Names-- even though I have no inetention of ever naming another baby, I do like names and I LOVE to see the ladies on that board get bent out of shape, lol.

Aside from all the regular reasons, I just love being able to devote 100% attention to my son. I work all day so being able to really get the most out of our time in the evenings together, one on one (or two if you count dad), is great. I wouldn't want to stretch that attention thin between two children. It just wouldn't be fair. I actually find myself feeling sorry for young kids that have siblings very close in age because I feel they're really missing out on mom and dad attention so early on. JMO, though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Are you a WM or do you SAH? working mom, here!

What other boards do you lurk/post on? I post on TTCAL (it was and is my "homebase"), PgAL, PAL and still lurk on my Oct'13 bmb.

What's your favorite benefit/thing about being OAD? No benefits of it yet for me.  I'm still very fresh in the loss of our son.  Although OAD is a strong possiblity for us, it was unfortunately not by choice so I'm still struggling with it all.  But I want to thank the ladies here because the few times I've posted here so far, I've been giving lots of comfort and support.  So thank you!

Lilypie - (dLe1)

***BFP 1-22-13, baby boy dx with Trisomy 13 at 15 weeks.

We let him go to Heaven on 4-27-13 at 17 weeks 1 day***

Lilypie - (AW2u)

Lilypie - (L84X)Lilypie - (D4Hj)

• imageTbd143:

Are you a WM or do you SAH?  WM

What other boards do you lurk/post on?  Parenting After a Loss, Toddlers 12-24 months, rarely C-Sections and May 2012

What's your favorite benefit/thing about being OAD?  That I don't ever have to be pregnant again!

• I'm currently a WM hoping to be a WM at a new job sooner than later. Love my coworkers and great flexibility here regarding being a mom, but the lack of room for advancement and low pay makes it hard to not explore other options.

I occassionally post/lurk on Birthday parties and 24 months.

For us the benefits of being OAD are we will be able to afford to send her to the  church school attached to her daycare as we do not live in a very good school district. We want her to be able to do extracurricular activities, go on family vacations and set aside a college fund which we would not be able to do if we had another child. Aside from both our IF issues, we just love the way our family dynamic is working for us. Plus DD is adament about not liking a baby sister which is a big plus for us.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• salt78salt78 member

Are you a WM or do you SAH? I work.

What other boards do you lurk/post on? Toddlers 12-24, Baby Names, March 12, Working Moms, Health & Exercise.

What's your favorite benefit/thing about being OAD? I'm not overwhelmed. I have so much fun going places and doing things with DD and I can't imagine trying to wrangle multiple children for the same kind of outings.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • aeh72aeh72 member

Hi!

I'm a WM - I work from home doing HR for a large corporation.

I primarily post on my BMB, 12-24 months, and Working Moms, but I love to lurk(and sometimes post) on Baby Names and Baby Showers (mainly when I'm bored and/or, admittedly, in the mood to read some good drama!).  I also lurk on Attachment Parenting because although I don't think its concepts are necessarily my parenting style, I'm genuinely curious about and interested in them.  I also post questions on The Eco Friendly Family board sometimes but I always find it's a bit too hardcore for me.  Usually, when I ask about an eco-friendly solution to something I'm asking for something I can buy in a store or online and I get a bunch of responses of how I can make it myself.  Not judging that, but that will just never be me! :-)

Benefits of OAD? To be honest, we're not 100% OAD but due to our ages, we'll probably have that decision made for us in the next year - i.e., if we don't get pregnant within the year, I'll be done trying.  But, when I think about the benefits of OAD, I think about all the extra money we will have for our family and how we'll be able to give DS more opportunities (e.g., activities, vacations, hopefully a paid-for college education) than we'd be able to give two kids.  And, I really love our family dynamic right now.  Not that another child would mess that up because we'd happily add another child to our family, but it would change things and I think it would make for a few very hard years financially while we have two kids in daycare. In essence, I wish I was younger so I had more time devote to not getting pregnant and could decide a few years down the road if we wanted to try and get pregnant again.  Alas, that's not our situation. But, my moments of feeling sad about only having one child are actually less and less these days and I feel like it won't be that hard to come to terms with only having one child if that's where we end up. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageQuigleyCat1:

What's your favorite benefit/thing about being OAD? No benefits of it yet for me.  I'm still very fresh in the loss of our son.  Although OAD is a strong possiblity for us, it was unfortunately not by choice so I'm still struggling with it all.  But I want to thank the ladies here because the few times I've posted here so far, I've been giving lots of comfort and support.  So thank you!

*hugs* to you!

Me..
    I'm a SAHM.

I post on the SAHM board, and sometimes baby names. (have loved discussing names forever).

And my favorite thing about OAD? Way too many.  I'm not at all stressed :) Especially as she gets older, things have gotten a ton easier. We can travel more and easier, we can provide her with more and I focus on just her. I love every part of it and our family.

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • blue33blue33 member

I am a working mom.

October 2010 and Food Allergy

The ability to save for college for my son and give him the

gift of having a debt free start, because paying a student loan every month SUCKS! Also, I love the ability to travel and allow him to experience new things.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KL777KL777 member

SAHM or WM? 

SAHM for the first 3 years, now I am a WM and have been for 2 1/2 years. DS starts kindergarten in two and a half months.

What boards do you post on?

I post on Preschool (not for much longer), School Age Children, Working Moms, and Parenting over 35.

Benefits of OAD: 

My favorite benefit about being OAD, I get to keep my sanity! I would be very bitter and lose my mind with multiple children. I just don't have the patience or tolerance for multiple kids of my own.

Another benefit, able to put DS in private school. A third benefit, more discretionary income for vacations and to get nice things for DS, myself, and DH.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• I work FT but at a very flexible job.

Baby Showers, Parenting and WOrking Moms primarily.

Having the time and $$ to focus on DS.  If we had another child, it really would greatly affect our finances.  Right now, we're able to scrounge up fun activities and vacations that I know we wouldn't be able to do w/ more kids. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• SAHM.

Parenting and my BMB.

Benefits?.... I don't lose my effing mind.

SEAHAWKS! And... Macklemore. Seattle's WINNING! 
  • I'm a WM.  I work at a college.

I post on Parenting and Toddlers 12-24 and I lurk on Working Moms and May '12.

My favourite thing is being able to wave good-bye to the rough years as they pass by (though, I know there'll be different kinds of rough in years to come).  Yeah, I'll miss him being a baby, but I'm looking forward to missing it :)  Also, I look foward to being able to provide things for him that I might not be able to if I were to have more kids.

• Tbd143Tbd143 member
    imageQuigleyCat1:
    Are you a WM or do you SAH? working mom, here!What other boards do you lurk/post on? I post on TTCAL it was and is my "homebase", PgAL, PAL and still lurk on my Oct'13 bmb.What's your favorite benefit/thing about being OAD? No benefits of it yet for me.nbsp; I'm still very fresh in the loss of our son.nbsp; Although OAD is a strong possiblity for us, it was unfortunately not by choice so I'm still struggling with it all.nbsp; But I want to thank the ladies here because the few times I've posted here so far, I've been giving lots of comfort and support.nbsp; So thank you!

I am so sorry for your loss. ::hugs::
  • Tbd143Tbd143 member
    Nice to hear from everyone!
  • Currently I am a SAHW but also a grad student so I will eventually be a WM.  

I post on the Adoption board since we are going to be adopting our LO. I used to post on the IF boards when we were pursuing other treatments.

Financially we will be more comfortable since we spent so much on IF and Adoption.  

Pursing Domestic Infant Adoption through a local agency. In the meantime, our dog is our baby.  Bumping from Portland, Oregon. 
  • I work part time and go to school full time. I post on special needs board occasionally. The greatest thing about being one and done is chasing DS only. DS is full of energy, you cannot take your eyes off him for a minute at home let alone when we go out. It is great not having another child to focus on or chase around lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"