August 2013 Moms

Anyone else having a late baby shower?

Let me start by saying I am extremely grateful and appreciative that my mom & sisters offered to throw me a baby shower...  That said, I guess there were some minor conflicts with the original dates of the shower when they started planning it due to several family members being away on vacation and saying they would be offended if the shower was held when they werent around and blah blah blah... So it was finally settled that my shower would be scheduled for the end of July. 

I am due on 8/23 with my first and cant help but feel a little anxious that the shower is so late.  I guess I'm just a little worried that I'm going to be caught unprepared if I end up having my little girl early...  I want to buy the essentials just to have something put away just in case, but my mom keeps telling me "dont buy TOO much stuff - wait for your shower!"

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation and what youre doing to make sure you're as prepared as possible.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anyone else having a late baby shower?

• My shower with Lucas was the last weekend in January and he was born on 2/21. There was plenty of time to get things ready.

Honestly, if she comes early, the last thing on your mind will be getting things. I would make sure she has a place to sleep, food (either BF or formual) and diapers. The rest can wait.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • My shower with my daughter was 3 weeks before my due date. That's late!!! I ended up being induced 8 days past my due date, so I had plenty of time to prepare anyway. One month is not a problem. If you end up having her before the shower, you can always send someone to the store to buy diapers, wipes, clothes, etc. to get you through until the shower.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Loading the player...
  • I had my shower 5 weeks before my due date with DD. 

Newborns really don't require that much and if your little one were to even come that early chances are she'd be in a NICU for a few weeks. I wouldn't worry too much.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm having 2 showers and I'm due Aug 19th. First shower is on July 13th, the second on July 27th. Now that's late in the game! ;) However, I'm fully prepared with the essentials. I have a travel system, a place for baby to sleep, food for baby to eat, clothes to go on her back, and diapers for her bum. We'll be fine if I go early (knocks on wood for not!).

If you are feeling that over-whelmed, just make sure you have plenty on your registry (at least 1 gift for every guest invited), then add a little more, and start shopping. Shop off your registry, so things show up as purchased. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about buying things for your own baby! My mom tried to do that, and I finally told her she was being the selfish one when it came to my baby showers, and that I'm perfectly capable of providing for my own child, and I will.  

• I am due 8/25. My friend has said she wants to give me a shower in July. At first I was ok with the idea because we had agreed on the 13th. Well about a week ago she messaged me to ask if changing it to the 28 would be ok. I really do appreciate her wanting to do this for me, but the only problem is, I will need to travel 6 hrs at 36, almost 37 weeks pregnant. My doctor has already told me no travel after 35 weeks. I have been struggling with a way to kindly tell her the situation. She has been making me feel obligated, and that traveling is no big deal.  I think my decision to cancel is best in my situation. If i didnt have to travel 6 hrs I think I would be ok with a late baby shower.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks for the reassurance ladies - I'm sure this is all part of the first-time-mom jitters!

I think I'll continue to buy a few of the essentials just to ease my mind and if I end up with duplicates after the shower, I''m sure I can always exchange things or may even be gratful for duplicates!  Good idea to shop off my registry though!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with all PP, also you may not get what you need at the shower anyway, I only got about 10 things off my registry, everything else was cute blankets and clothes ( im having a girl). I was ready to buy everything and had all the big things covered as i already knew i wouldn't get these things. Also i suspect there was a problem with my local Target so i got a lot of gift cards which will be very helpful.

Now i will decide which items on my registry i find essential that are lacking like crib sheets, a carrier, and bottles, and then just buy things after LO gets here if i still think i need them.

• imageRitter1125:
    I am due 8/25. My friend has said she wants to give me a shower in July. At first I was ok with the idea because we had agreed on the 13th. Well about a week ago she messaged me to ask if changing it to the 28 would be ok. I really do appreciate her wanting to do this for me, but the only problem is, I will need to travel 6 hrs at 36, almost 37 weeks pregnant. My doctor has already told me no travel after 35 weeks. I have been struggling with a way to kindly tell her the situation. She has been making me feel obligated, and that traveling is no big deal.nbsp; I think my decision to cancel is best in my situation. If i didnt have to travel 6 hrs I think I would be ok with a late baby shower.

I don't think I would feel bad for telling her that is too late for you....especially if its your DR's orders, she should understand that. I would explain you can't because dr said so and that you understand if it needs to be canceled all together. That lets her decide to throw it at the original date or to cancel without you asking her to accomidate you.
  • My showers have me stressing also. I'm due the 20th. First shower is out of state next weekend....it's family and will likely be mostly clothing and not things purchased from my registry. That's fine of course, but doesn't make me feel prepared with the necessities. The second shower is July 13th at home with friends and is likely where we will get gifts from the registry. I'm a planner, so if up to me I would have already purchased all these things.
    I plan to go buy a handful of necessities for now just in case I have her early. I also keep reminding myself I can stock up on basic supplies at the hospital and that DH can go get anything we would need. I like being in control of situations and I'm finding baby's arrival is not likely to be that way, lol! Just have to learn to take it a day at a time....as I'm sure will be the case for the rest if my life after LO arrives!
  • I agree with you. My MIL decided to pick a place and book it without consulting me. Now the only issue with that was he picked just about 4 weeks before my due date. I have to drive 8 hours to get back and god forbid something happens while I was away or on the way. I had to argue for a month earlier and have her change it. This is my first but it is seeming like more of a likely think that DS will be here early as he is measuring early am big. I felt the same way as you. I personally felt that it is too risky and didn't leave enough time.
  • Ehhh I couldn't wait for what other people "may" buy me. We purchased all the big ticket items way before I had my shower. We got a ton of stuff at the shower, however we were already prepared if we didn't.

Gifts at showers are not guaranteed like some people believe.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am due Aug. 26th and mine will be July 20th. We have her nursery finished, I figured 1 month+ is plenty of time to get whatever is missing from our registry. We will just be sitting aside money for these things "just in case".
  • I had two showers.  One was about 2 months before my EDD and the other was 2 weeks before my EDD.  I waited to buy items until after my first shower but even though I registered at 2 different places, I did not get a lot of items that I registered for and ended up having to buy most of the practical stuff (diapers, wipes, sleepers, scratch mittens, socks, hats) myself.  I don't see anything wrong with buying a few odds and ends as you see them.  Trust me, you or someone else will have to run out to buy something that you forgot at some point anyway.  Good luck! 

• I am due August 26, and my shower will be July 20th. So, my situation is pretty similar to yours. I understand completely how you feel, i'm starting to get the urge to nest but, i can't. So, in the meantime I write list of all the stuff I need to do, so when the time comes everything will be done as fast as possible.
    BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My shower is going to be at the beginning of july so its cutting it close. After everything going on with the size of my little girl and not knowing if they are going to take her out early. I started to get stressed about being totally unprepared for her arrival. I know how you are feeling
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's customary here for the baby shower to be after the baby is born so I understand! I made a list of the absolute essentials that I want to have around and am buying those. What's been helping me is to remind myself that the stores will still be open after I give birth so if there is something I need I can send someone to go get it.After the shower I will buy the rest.
    Me: 32
    DH: 37
    Married: May 24, 2008
    TTC #2 since: June 2020
  • My sister and mother are also throwing me my shower. My due date is August 18 and my baby shower is July 27 th. usually your baby shower is Sapose to be a couple weeks before your due . You'll still have plenty of time to get the things that you still need if you didn't get hem at the shower.
  • With my daughter the 3 very generous people who wanted to throw me seperate showers all waited until within a month of her due date.  I ended up with Pregnancy Induced Hypertension and going to my showers was against Dr's bed rest orders and pretty hard on me.

This time same thing I am due Aug 21 and my shower is now scheduled for July 20.  Makes me a bit nervous, but if I learned anything with my daughter it was that nothing goes according to plan and I have to learn to go with the flow.  This is when the sweet people willing to throw me a gigantic baby shower for the second time are available so we will continue until a problem presents itself. 

I had a friend who delivered her baby the day of her shower and of course missed it, but they went ahead and had it without her and brought her anything she needed and set up what she needed set up while she was at the hospital.

Those are just my experiences though, hope they are somewhat helpful.  

• My family is throwing me a shower on 7/13 and I'm due 8/27.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"