August 2013 Moms

How far away are you from the hospital?

This is for moms who are planning to deliver in a hospital setting. 

This is my first pregnancy. My DH and I moved to the other side of the country in February. We were in temporary, corporate housing until the middle of May (never again am I moving pregnant but that is another post..haha).

I found an OB/midwife office pretty quickly due to the timing of the NT scan. I happen to really like the practice so far and the hospital where they deliver babies. The problem is, is that we are now 30-45 minutes or so from the hospital (whereas before we were 15-20 minute). My DH freaked me out a couple of weeks ago when he suggested that the hospital down the street from us is a fall-back just in case something happens and I need to deliver there. But I am like, "My doctor is not there! and I like where we go!"  

Anyways, how far are you guys from the hospital? I guess I am just afraid that I will deliver in the car or in the parking lot..lol. I know first deliveries can take forever but this does bring out some anxiety. 

*E - 08/29/2013*

Re: How far away are you from the hospital?

• I'm only about 10 minutes away, but I don't think you have anything to worry about being 30-45 minutes away. Typically, FTMs don't have the quickest of labors. If you get worried, just leave home a little earlier.

**PAIF/SAIF Welcome**
    TTC #1 March 2010 - Nov 2012
    Me: 29, PCOS (anov), Hashimoto's Disease // DH: 30, normal SA
    3 Clomid, 1 Clomid/Menopur, 1 Menopur w/ TI (CX 4x's due to cysts) - All BFN
    1 Clomid/Menopur, 2 Menopur, 1 Follistim w/ IUI - All BFN
    RPL & Karyotype testing normal

IUI #5 (12/1/12) --> Follistim + 1/3 hCG Trigger = BFP! EDD: 8/23/13
    Betas --> 61 (13dpo) // 156 (16 dpo) // 223 (18dpo) // 656 (21 dpo)
    U/S --> 5w0d - sac seen // 6w0d - hb detected // 7w0d - hb seen and heard, measuring 6w6d!
    8w6d - wiggly baby! // 9w3d - wiggly baby with fingers!

Baby boy born 8/24/13

imageimageimage 

My Blog: Searching for Lucky Socks

• First, it's highly unlikely your labor will progress that quickly. I wouldn't worry about giving birth in the car.

It's funny, living in San Diego, how far we are from the hospital will vary greatly depending on what time of day I go into labor. If it's during the morning or evening rush hours, we could be 45 minutes away. If it's late at night or in the middle of the day--we're only 10 minutes.

As long as your hospital isn't hours away, I think you're fine delivering where you go now.  

• Loading the player...
  • We are an Air Force family and we live on the housing installation. There is a hospital on base which is where I will be delivering, it is 1.5 miles away. I'm not too worried about not making since its a 5 minute drive.
  • imageMrsWahidi:

First, it's highly unlikely your labor will progress that quickly. I wouldn't worry about giving birth in the car.

It's funny, living in San Diego, how far we are from the hospital will vary greatly depending on what time of day I go into labor. If it's during the morning or evening rush hours, we could be 45 minutes away. If it's late at night or in the middle of the day--we're only 10 minutes.

As long as your hospital isn't hours away, I think you're fine delivering where you go now.  

Yes, I live in Northern California and the traffic can get heavy. So it really depends on the traffic. I have been considering that as well.  

*E - 08/29/2013*

• It would make me uncomfortable to be that far away from the hospital because I don't plan on heading in until I am ready to push.
  • Our hospital is literally across the street. We could walk there if need be.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I live an hour away from the hospital and it was fine.  My midwife and I agreed with DD that I would leave home at 5-1-1, contractions were 5 min apart, 1 min in length, and was that way for an hour.  I talked to her periodically when I was laboring at home but it was good to have a goal.
    IUI#1= DD born 1.5.2011
    IUI #4 BFP EDD 5.5.2012 m/c 10/1/2012
    Surprise! BFP 12/4/12 EDD 8/8/2012
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It depends in traffic but we are about 40 min away. It will also depend on time of day and who will be taking dd.
  • FTM here also. I'm about 20 minutes away but during rush hour it could be 45 minutes. I'm not worried about it.
  • hnic14hnic14 member
    We are 25 miles with no traffic we can make it in less than a half hour. In morning or evening rush hour it would take 1 hr plus. We are really hoping I go into labor during the night again. I dread the drive if I go into labor during rush hour!

• 1 hour and 20 minutes.  I'm a little freaked out, but I'd much rather deliver at this midwife-friendly hospital than at the c-section factory that is 20 minutes from my house.
  • My hospital is about 5 minutes from my house. Great if I go into labor at home! It's about 35 or 45 minutes from my job, depending on traffic, and I plan on working until I go into labor.
  • No traffic/accidents 2530 mins...rush hour 45 mins. I am not worried about it though knock on wood. My bro lives about 10 minutes from the hospital so if I feel like labor may be coming soon I might camp out at his place. I'm more worried about having trouble getting a hold of my husband. He is a mason and really can't have a cell on him during work. He plans to have it in him once we get close to the due date but I am praying he is not pouring concrete that day. Ugh
  • We are about 25- 30 minutes from our hospital but depending on traffic could be closer to 45 mins.
  • The city is about 45 minutes away so then travel time to the hospital once you hit the city, maybe another 10 minutes. It's good highway though so unless there's a bad storm, who knows here, the delays aren't minimal.
    It doesn't bother me, I grew up around here and everyone has to do it as its the closest hospital with a mat ward. I'm in Saskatchewan so just happy this one isn't a winter one haha, save that for later!
  • Where I am currently living, the hospital is about 30-45 mins away depending on traffic. It made me nervous to begin with but it's the closest hospital with a maternity ward to my town so most women in my town give birth there. We are now in the process of moving out of state and I am looking for an OB practice in the area. We are moving to an area where I have the choice of 3 hospitals ranging 10-45 mins from where we will be living. So it will be interesting to see where I end up actually delivering LO but regardless, I am not concerned. I have no control over when LO comes so there's no reason for me to worry if I give birth outside of the hospital. If it happens, it happens. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Elizabeth Paige born 8/11/13
  • In rush hour traffic we got to the hospital last week in less than 15 minutes.
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• 45min away
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • About 25-30 minutes away. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• We're about 35-50 minutes away depending on traffic.
    imageimage

Me 33 DH 36 Together 10 years, Married 5 years

TTC #1 since 8/2007 with MFI
    November 2012 - IVF w/ ICSI #1; 11/28/12 - ER 12 eggs! 11 fertilized! 12/3/12 - ET - transferred 1 AA Blastocyst
    Charlotte Hannah -born 8/13/13.
  • We are only about 10 minutes away, it's basically down the road a couple miles. My parents live around the corner from the hospital. It's really convenient for us which is nice!

• We are an hour away but my parents live only 15 min away so if I feel uncomfortable about being so far I can stay with them a couple days before my edd. But I'm hoping this being my first ill have "plenty" of time.
  • We live about 3045 minutes away from my dr and hospital too. It does kinda worry me but my hubby drives like a bat out of hell when he needs to so we should be able to make it lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The hospital I delivered DS at was 45 minutes with zero traffic and could take as long as 1 hr and 30 minutes with traffic. We had no issues making it. This time we are literally 3 minutes maximum.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm delivering in the next town over. Its a bigger town and that's were my ob is. It's only about a 30 minute drive. I'm not worried. I would be more concerned to deliver in the rinky Dink hospital down the road from us.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • I'm about a 10 minute drive away. There were other options I could have taken, cut I wanted an office that was conveniently located near home.

• 30-45 mins typically, depending on time of day could be upwards of an hour.  But I don't expect for labor to be moving all that quickly (FTM).

• We're 20 minutes away if there is no traffic. 30 minutes tops. But in the event of emergency, it's already proven MH can make it there in 15. Ha!

• An hour away. This is number three and I am not to worried about it
    Tara
  • The quickest I made it there was 15 (with DH driving lol) longest was 30 due to old people and other dumb people who don't realize the speed limit is 55 instead of 45. The hospital is right beside my OB office we have a pretty good idea of how soon we can get there. I'm sure if DH drove like a manic, as he probably will on the big day, it probably wouldn't take us 10. It's mostly country back roads the whole way.

If you are worried about making it there on time, just leave a little earlier than you think you should.

• We are at least 30 mins away..and that's freeway with lots of semis...the trucks are what worry me while I'm in dying pain of contractions lol we have a closer hospital too but that's not my doc delivers either. I'm just hoping all goes well and there is no NEED for the closer hospital! :D
  • Currently about 45 mins but once I start work in July 1st I will be in labor and delivery at least 12h/day and otherwise only about 10 mins away. Last my first labour took four pushes so I'm glad I'll be very close to my hospital.

Edit: mobile errors
  • We are 30 to 35 minutes away with light traffic. If there were traffic maybe a bit more. There was a closer hospital but we wanted the birthing center.
    imageimageimageimage

• I live about 20 minutes away and work 2 mins away
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • We are 49 miles from where we chose to deliver. If it isn't rush hour we can make it there in about an hour, rush hour? We may be stopping at one of the other two hospitals that are on the way. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get out of rush hour traffic the other day. Like you, it makes for a little bit of anxiety.
  • MrsIMrsI member
    About 30 minutes from home, but I work there. Last time I went in labor at work, went to my MFM apt, verified I should head in, he sent me home to getmy stuff, I stopped and got my car from the shop, went home finished packing, and then went back to the hospital. My MFM apt was at 1:30 and I finally got back to the hospital about 4:30. I would have held off longer but a nurse called and wanted me checked in before shift changes. I actually labored pretty quickly for a FTM and had plenty of time to get to the hospital. You'll be fine!
  • Right now we're only 10 minted away, but will be moving 30-45 minutes away. It make me nervous to be that far away to be honest, but I hesitate to switch providers this late in the game.
  • 30-45 minutes. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My hospital is about 60 minutes away.....
  • I think you'll be fine you might be super comfortable though.

We are a 15 minute walk away from our hospital. I have a friend near by that had her baby this weekend and walked to the hospital. I will probably do the same, not have to worry about parking haha. When we leave I'll have my mom walk to the house and get the car. 

Me: 32
    DH: 37
    Married: May 24, 2008
    TTC #2 since: June 2020
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"