Baby Names

Murphy

For a girl?

When I was a kid my mom called me Mrs. Murphy, for no other reason than that's what her mom called her when she was a kid, and awhile ago my mom jokingly suggested calling our baby Murphy if we have a girl. It was sort of supposed to be funny but it kind of stuck in my head, and I can't help but like it!

I think if we chose it, we'd go with Murphy Elise or Murphy Adele... something really feminine to balance it out. DH isn't sure because he wonders if our kid will hate us in fifteen years. 

What do you think? 

Re: Murphy

• The only Murphy that I know of is a dog. Not a good name on a human, IMO.

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• It just sounds so unattractive to me.

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Loading the player...
  • Please don't name your lovely DD Murphy.

If you must, stick it in the MN spot.

Adele Murphy is nice. 

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Kind of cute with the story behind it.
  • i have a girl in my class, her last name is murphy, that is what i call her. i think it is cute. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My BIL's niece is a very beautiful 18 year old girl named Murphy. I think it was the mom/grandma's maiden name, maybe? its definitely a family-related name. She loves it and rocks it. Honestly, I think it would depend on the kid as far as rocking it or getting picked on for it.

Me - 29, DH - 30

Married 8/2008

TTC since 8/2013

9/2014 Progesterone test - Perfect

10/2014 HSG - All Clear

9/2014 DH's SA - Perfect

• I was going to say I kind of liked it. Until I read that you intend to use it for a girl.  

Murphy is so super masculine to me. I don't like it at all for a girl. I'm okay with it in the middle name spot because of the cute story. Otherwise, no.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I hate it, sorry.

I met one recently, her brothers are Teddy and Harvey and I could not remember which one was supposed to be the girl. I wouldn't even like it on a boy, it is such a surname (or dog name) to me.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Last name as a first name is terrible but especially with this name for a girl. I like the story and would think it was cute to have it in the MN spot and use it as a NN.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I say no.  Continue to use it as a nickname if you must, but please give your girl a legitimate name.

My parents also had a black lab named Murphy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've heard Murphy only as a dog name, last name, and boy name. But as a girl name? Kinda horrible.
    Baby Girl, due 12-31-14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageblu-eyedwife:

Haha that GIF is hilarious.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I kind of figured what kind of response I'd get but thought I'd float it anyway. I have a different name crush every week it seems like, and I'm sure I'll have moved on from it soon anyway. I'll definitely call her that even if it isn't her name. :)

The likelihood of actually naming her Murphy is pretty low since DH isn't all that fond of it. It surprises me that I even considered it, because my taste definitely runs more toward classic and even old-fashioned: Eloise, Adelaide, Caroline, Audrey, etc. This is the most "out there" name that I like. Although I do think some boy names on girls are cute, it's more of a guilty pleasure for me, I can't imagine ever naming a girl Skylar or Drew or whatever.

Good thing we've decided not to name this baby until he/she is born! I have lots of time to think. 

• +ASH++ASH+ member

I can't believe no one has mentioned Murphy Brown! I'm not that old - I can't be the only one who remember this show lol! 

I love the story and history behind it. Not a fan of the name itself, but it would be cute in the middle name spot.  

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • image+ASH+:

I can't believe no one has mentioned Murphy Brown! I'm not that old - I can't be the only one who remember this show lol! 

I love the story and history behind it. Not a fan of the name itself, but it would be cute in the middle name spot.  

Haha my dad mentioned Murphy Brown when my mom brought it up! I've never seen it, though. 

• bsinnobsinno member
    as a gal with the mn Murphy, I have to vote NO as a fn for a little lady. Middle name, great! For a fella - go for it. 
  • imageASH:
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Murphy Brown! I'm not that old I can't be the only one who remember this show lol!nbsp;I love the story and history behind it. Not a fan of the name itself, but it would be cute in the middle name spot. nbsp;

This was my first thought and a positive association for me. I actually like it.
    Charlotte Lynne ~ Jan. 23, 2014

• I'm with your DH. She would have to be super hot with amazing self confidence to pull this off & not be annoyed with you. I say keep the tradition & keep it as a nn.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image   and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageASH:
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Murphy Brown! I'm not that old I can't be the only one who remember this show lol!nbsp;I love the story and history behind it. Not a fan of the name itself, but it would be cute in the middle name spot. nbsp;

I was thinking the same thing!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Noooooooo
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Not a fan of last names as first names.  I don't care if Murphy Brown was a kickass fictional journalist!  It's bad....  like really bad! 

• I don't like Murphy for a girl. I do like it for a boy and I'd be okay with it as a girl middle although the name sounds exceptionally masculine.
  • shannmshannm member

I think last name, my mom's maiden.

then I think nickname for crazy Irish American, like my dad.

then I think dog.  An Irish setter to be exact. 

Would you want your little girl to be called Murph?  Cause it will happen. 

• I almost named my dog Murphy.

Murphy reminds me of Problem Child.  They had a "dumb" kid named Murph that they had to use kindergarten workbooks for.   But I am the only one who would think of that.

• My parents considered naming me Murphy.  It is my mom's maiden name.  She really wanted to use it because there were no boys in her family to carry on the family name.  

I guess they decided against it and named me Mary Beth.

With that being said my grandma and both sisters have had dogs and cats named Murphy- it is our family pet name I guess.

• If I was going to use Murphy as a first name, I would lean towards boys over girl.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• imageASH:
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Murphy Brown! I'm not that old I can't be the only one who remember this show lol!nbsp;

Nope, it's the only thing I could think about!
  • My first thought was also Murphy Brown, but, not only was she a fictional character, she didn't have to grow up with the name.

My second thought was my friends Bichon named Murphy. I really see this one as a dog name.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• sorry but I do think you are taking a big chance your daughter will hate you in 15 yrs.   Murphy on a boy- maybe...  def. not a girl
  • Add me to the list of knowing a dog named Murphy (my mom's bichon frise).  If I didn't have the dog association, I would think of a hairy old man.  Not a beautiful daughter.  MN spot if you must.  Or just a NN.
    DD 9/2/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"