Baby Names

Thoughts on Mallory

We just found out we are Team Pink.

Our top name is Mallory Elizabeth and our last name is common, has two syllables and starts with a W. Elizabeth is after DH's twin sister.

Thoughts? Stereotypes? Is Mallory too 80's/early 90's ish?

ETA: We are not bothered by the unlucky meaning of Mallory.
TTC since May 2011 "Natural" BFP 1/2/2012 with cp 1/5/2012 5/2012: SA and CD 3 bloodwork perfect 6/2012: Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN 8/2012: HSG all clear. Clomid TI cycle canceled due to thin lining 9/2012: Lap and Hysteroscopy: mild endo, uterine fibroids and septum, and ovarian cyst all removed

Re: Thoughts on Mallory

• Elizabeth is a lovely MN, but I'm not really a fan of Mallory. Yes, it is pretty dated.

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• Mallory really isn't awful. I like it much more than the contemporary Ellery or Everly but much less than the classic Margaret or Millicent. It's just somewhere in the middle for me right beside Melanie and Mindy.

Mallory feels dated, reminds me of a duck (mallard), and  I can't imagine it on a serious adult. Don't let that sway you though because like I said it is not an awful name or anything, it just is sort of "eh" to me.

What is it that you like about Mallory? Maybe we could offer some other options?

love Love love Elizabeth though. Perhaps Eliza as a first name in honor?  

• Loading the player...
  • I actually think it's nice. Not to date for me. I've only known 1 Mallory ever, so I like it because it's not super popular.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like the sound of it, but I am personally bothered by the meaning.

If the meaning doesn't bother you-- I would use it. 

I actually think it sounds fresh rather than dated.  It was popular in the 80s, but it was no Jennifer, Jessica or Heather.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I kind of like it...but my first thought is of Sterling Mallory Archer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i like it. i cannot explain why. i think of the movie natural born killers, the only mallory i "know" of!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think it's dated and I actually really like it. TBH I probably wouldn't actually use the name because of the meaning but I'd love to hear of a baby Mallory!
  • TheWopTheWop member

imageLittledeer84:
    I kind of like it...but my first thought is of Sterling Mallory Archer.

LOL. Kind of obscure, but it's funny. 

I really don't mind Mallory. "Dated" isn't really a bad thing to me. I appreciate a lot of "dated" names. I like quite a few. If dated is the worst thing about it, who cares!  Go with it!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I really, really like it- it's on our list. Our OB's name is Dr. Mallory, actually. haha!

I don't think it's dated, and one of the things I like about it is that it's not super common, but it isn't a weird or made up name either. 

• I like it. My first thought is Mallory from the Babysitter's Club. :)

A friend on another board I'm on named her little girl Mallory and I think it's cute.

• I like it.  I kind of think it is refreshing.  I also think of the Babysitters' Club! 

• Sorry, to me it is a little dated but if you really like it, then go for it.  I despise the nn Mal though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageHBirdie:
    I really, really like it it's on our list. Our OB's name is Dr. Mallory, actually. haha!I don't think it's dated, and one of the things I like about it is that it's not super common, but it isn't a weird or made up name either.nbsp;

This was my feeling, too. I like that its a real name but not extremely common.

We are really looking for an M name and Mallory is the only one DH is truly excited about. He has shot down everything else.

The unlucky meaning does not bother us because for us, she has made us feel very blessed/lucky. We TTC for two years and were waiting for our last natural cycle to end before starting IVF. That last natural cycle was a BFP and here we are.

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate the honest thoughts and opinions.
    TTC since May 2011 "Natural" BFP 1/2/2012 with cp 1/5/2012 5/2012: SA and CD 3 bloodwork perfect 6/2012: Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN 8/2012: HSG all clear. Clomid TI cycle canceled due to thin lining 9/2012: Lap and Hysteroscopy: mild endo, uterine fibroids and septum, and ovarian cyst all removed
  • I think it's cute! I think of Baby Sitter's Club too. And really, every name gets dated at one point, and then seem to come back around. So it doesn't matter so much if it could be dated right now.
    Baby Girl, due 12-31-14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love it!  This is going to date me but it reminds me of Mallory on Family Ties.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lol, that is one of my top 5 for our girl name but DH is super set on it being a boy he won't discuss girl names yet. Guess well find out at our a/s in two weeks!!
  • imageBootsyLou:
    I love it!  This is going to date me but it reminds me of Mallory on Family Ties.  

Yup, me too! 

Anniversary 
  • I don't even know what the unlucky meaning is, but I really like Mallory Elizabeth. It's actually on my list.

Edit... okay just looked it up, the meaning is actually "unlucky". I feel like a boob.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I picture an early 90's talk to the hand valley girl. It's dated to me. 
  • I like it!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• I think it's cute!
    Birthday

• I love Mallory.  

I do think 80's because of Family Ties.  It is refreshing.   

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• It's NMS, but it's okay.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• I love Mallory.  It's different, but not too different.  I like that you don't hear it every day.
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Mallory a lot actually.
    BLAD reppin'

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I like it a lot.  I don't think it's dated - more like a nice throwback name.
  • imageTheWop:

imageLittledeer84:
    I kind of like it...but my first thought is of Sterling Mallory Archer.

LOL. Kind of obscure, but it's funny. 

I really don't mind Mallory. "Dated" isn't really a bad thing to me. I appreciate a lot of "dated" names. I like quite a few. If dated is the worst thing about it, who cares!  Go with it!

"Dated" isn't a bad thing to me either, but I don't consider Mallory to be dated.  It's never been uber-popular, so I wouldn't pin it to a particular timeframe.  Dh & I both like it and had it on our girls shortlist for our last two children.  We had boys though. :-)

if you both like it and agree, then that's all that really matters. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think of the TV show family ties. Michael j. Fox's sister was Mallory! 
  • I really like Mallory.  It is on our list too.  I want a name that hopefully there won't be tons of when the child goes to school. 

DD #1 5.4.14  
    EDD #2 5.4.17

• imagemummyofsix:
    I think it's dated and terribly ugly. I see absolutely nothing redeeming about it. 

Thanks. I see nothing redeeming about your comment either. You could have at least provided suggestions or said NMS. And yeah, yeah, yeah, I get that I asked for opinions. So thanks for yours. 

• Thoughts:

Family Ties.

Didn't know Mallory had an unlucky meaning.

If you like it, I love it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love Mallory..  very pretty    definitely a bit of a throw back but in a refreshing

way to me- not like Jennifer or Jessica 

I think of Valerie, Meredith,Whitney when I hear it

• What is the unlucky meaning with this?  Never heard that before.

That being said, Mallory is NMS.  It's not that I don't like it, but I've only ever heard it as a dog's name, so it's hard to think of it for a girl.

• mkwtmkwt member

It is my daughters name, she is 15 months old!

I got it from "family ties", her given name is Mallory Lou, the Lou is after both of my grandmothers name. 

In my area it not common and that is the reason I chose it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"