Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Newborn will not sleep in crib!!!

My newborn is 16 days old and is being exclusively breastfed.  Of course, she loves being held and we do so often. However, she refuses to sleep in her crib.  We've tried two different ones:  a rocking cradle and a plain basinett.  We've tried putting her in awake and putting her in asleep.  We've tried swaddling and not swaddling.  As soon as her body hits the mattress her arms and legs fly out and she's wide awake. Within five minutes she's crying and will continue to cry until you pick her up.  Not sure what else to do here...  she needs to learn to sleep in her own crib.  I've hesitantly introduced a pacifier today, planning on using it only when laying her down for a nap...  I'm just fearful it will sabotage our breastfeeding success so far.   Any other advice from moms in similar circumstances?

Shannon

Re: Newborn will not sleep in crib!!!

• Our pnp had a basinet that came with it and it was a LIFESAVER.  DD didn't want anything to do with her crib or the actual pnp until she was a bit bigger 5-6 weeks. 
  • Are you swaddling her all the way (just wondering because you said her arms are flying)? If not, i would definitely do that. As far as the pacifier goes, I really wouldn't worry about sabotaging BFing. This DS has had a paci from day 1 with no issues. You could try something more upright like a rock and play. A lot of people use one, though I don't have any personal experience.
  • Loading the player...
  • My son will be 6 weeks on Thursday and one week ago tomorrow is the first Yong he slept in his crib. He slept on his swing or bouncer or car seat before that. He still prefers his swing over anything else. Try putting a towel under the mattress to lift the crib on one side. If she has reflux and gas life my son, it isn't comfy for them flat on their back.
    It will pass. Gl
  • I used the pacifier right away and it did not interfere with bfing.

Good luck!
  • My DD is 5 weeks and I have the same issue. But she will sleep in her rock n play. Also I EBF I gave my LO a pacifier because she constantly uses me as her pacifier. She will occasionally take it when she's super fussy. It has not affected her breast feeding in any way. It just gives me a little relieve LOL. I also use it in the car. My LO screams bloody murder in her car seat. The pacifier helps calm her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehere goes nothing:
    I used the pacifier right away and it did not interfere with bfing.

Good luck!

Same here!
    Mama to Sophie Virginia
    born 5/4/13 at 35 weeks 4 days

• my DD is 13 days old, and has the same issue, I also EBF. Pacifier definitely helps if their still a little awake, we introduced it when she was 4 days, and has no issue with feeding. 

My baby is also very needy, and in order for her to sleep in her crib, she needs to be totally asleep. For us, it can take up to 30 minutes until she's passed out. This means breastfeeding her, and then rocking her and holding her for another 30 minutes. It seems to do the trick...but yea, it's very time consuming.

when all else fails, we stick her in her swing with her paci, and after 10 minutes shes totally asleep.  

Edit: Dr. also suggested using a wedge to elevate her head. you could try that.  

Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • We used a RnP for the first few months with our son. It helped him a lot after a feeding and he seemed to prefer being slightly elevated.  If he fussed a little during the night, I could reach over and rock him back to sleep.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It'll be ok.  DS HATED the crib and the rock and play and the pack and play and the bassinet in the pack and play and ANYTHING but my chest.  Also EBF.  If he did lay down, it was only on his stomach. We started using a pacifier around 3 weeks, but only for car rides and supermarkets and such.  Around 8 weeks we integrated it at night.  He began sleeping in his crib a bit around 4 weeks and now he does fairly well with it 4-6 hour stretches in it.  Good luck.  For now, let lo sleep where ever they will sleep  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My older son was like this. When he was a newborn, he hated sleeping on flat surfaces. He spent the first couple of months of his life sleeping in the swing, bouncer, and infant car seat. Around five weeks old, we were able to transition him to the crib for night time sleeps. It took a while longer for him to tolerate it for naps. However, he did finally come around after a few months and started sleeping in the crib exclusively. When babies are this young, it's unlikely that you will create any lasting bad habits. If you do establish a habit, it's not hard to break a few months down the line. Babies are very adaptable. So try not to worry about that. Do what works for now. You can tweak things once she's bigger.

We also swaddled DS (tightly, using the HBOTB method) when he was in the crib and that helped as well.

Btw, I was also nervous about introducing the paci. He fought it a lot but the times he did accept it, it was a lifesaver. It helped him soothe himself and it put him to sleep. He never loved it, never got attached to it, and never confused it with BFing or bottle-feeding so it was never a problem for us. Now, his thumb on the other hand....he found that on his own and it has been wonderful for allowing him to self-soothe. But that is the one bad habit he picked up on his own that we will eventually have to break. :) It never affected his BFing or bottle-feeding, though.

eta: Regardless of what you do use to contain her while she sleeps, be sure you alternate the position of her head to avoid flat spots and make sure she can breathe easily at the angle at which she's lying.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesctiger52408:
    My little girl hated her pack n play but after two sleepless nights we got a rock n play and she has loved sleeping in that. I think that open spaces are tough for them when they are really little, but the rock n play is cozy enough for them to enjoy sleeping in. Target has them on sale quite a bit.

CANT LIVE WITHOUT OUR ROCK N PLAY!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Like so many others have said...the Rock n Play was the only thing DD would sleep in at night. She hated being flat on her back and would wake up the second you laid her down. She also has had acid reflux from day one so I think that contributed to it. The Rock n Play sort of reminds me of a hammock, the way the sides come up, it sort of cradles the baby, and I think this made DD feel more secure.

At about 9 weeks we transitioned DD into her crib in her own room, sleeps flat on her back and she has done great so I'm sure your baby will outgrow this phase as well :
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I appreciated all of the helpful advice here.  My MIL felt that allowing her to sleep in her bouncer was harmful to her back. I'm glad to know that I don't have to feel guilty allowing the baby to do so, especially after I've given the basinett a go for two hours and have missed out on sleep!!!! 

A few of you actually seemed concerned about the term "crib." I've tried two different ones with her... an old fashioned rocking cradle and a pack n play that has a basinett on top. I'm not talking about her being in her own room in a huge crib yet.

I tried the white noise machine last night, set it to "womb" to see if that helped, but she still screamed and two hours later fell asleep in her bouncer within 5 minutes.

She has been getting better about sleeping in the portable pack n play basinett during the daytime, but still wants her bouncer at nighttime. I really don't see any harm in it, as long as we continue to work with her, I would think she'd eventually learn to sleep on her own at night like she's been doing during the day.

My MIL feels that letting her cry will somehow solve the problem, but she just continues to cry until she's a red sweaty mess.  Plus, I feel horrible letting her get all worked up like that.

Shannon

• She is way too young to cry it out like that.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Agreed.  If she cried more than a minute or two, I held and comforted her.  I'll keep giving it a try, but if sleeping in her bouncer is what works right now, that's what we're going to use. We'll keep trying the pack n play basinett and eventually she'll get there.:-)

Shannon

• Our daughter finally started sleeping in the pack n play bassinet two weeks ago.  Not sure what brought on the change, except that it was in some way developmental.  She's been doing great, sleeping 5-6 hours straight, considering she's a month and two weeks old.  We're proud of her and the fact that we didn't have to let her cry herself silly in order to accomplish this, we just had to be patient!

Shannon
  • imageReady4theParty:
    Our pnp had a basinet that came with it and it was a LIFESAVER.  DD didn't want anything to do with her crib or the actual pnp until she was a bit bigger 5-6 weeks. 

This. 

Also, the Rock and Play has been a lifesaver. My friend with triplets and I both swear by it! :)

-=- Tara -=-

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    DIStickerscom Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"