Dads & Dads-to-be

PS4 vs. XBox whatever

So, you guys into gaming?

Apparently with PS4, you buy a disc, you own it. You can sell it to a friend, to gamestop, whatever. XBox One is supposed to have technology that limits each disc to one install. The implication is it will require always on high speed internet: No bringing it to the cabin where there's no internet.

RIP XBox One. You just lost this round of the console war, and might be toast, period. The internet is already kicking XBox hard and praising Sony to the high heavens.

Can't wait to play PS4 with my son once he's old enough! Although maybe we'll start with the old wii. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
-My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.

Re: PS4 vs. XBox whatever

• Yeah, I watched the Sony presentation at E3 and I can't believe how loud the crowd cheered when they announced the PS4 will allow used games.  When you buy a game you should be able to do what you want with it.  MS and game publishers setting limits on game ownership is just sh!tty.

• PrimePrime member

Xbox One won't require an "always" on connection, but will require that you log on every 24 hours if you are going to play offline.  It is a stupid policy regardless.

Sony clarified today that the if you buy a disc you own it policy really only applies to their first party titles.  They said 3rd party publishers can set their own policies.  That would likely be done by requiring you to check in to their servers in order to play.  Sony also snuck in the fact that multiplayer is now a paid for service through PS+ similar to Xbox Live Gold membership.

It will be interesting to see what the publishers do.  The games shown by Microsoft interest me more than what Sony has shown so far.  The policies about having to log in don't really effect me.  When I go on vacation I am on vacation from games too.  I am always connected when I play.

I don't know what I am going to do with the next generation of consoles.  Probably wait.

• Loading the player...
  • imagePrime:

Xbox One won't require an "always" on connection, but will require that you log on every 24 hours if you are going to play offline.  It is a stupid policy regardless.

Sony clarified today that the if you buy a disc you own it policy really only applies to their first party titles.  They said 3rd party publishers can set their own policies.  That would likely be done by requiring you to check in to their servers in order to play.  Sony also snuck in the fact that multiplayer is now a paid for service through PS+ similar to Xbox Live Gold membership.

It will be interesting to see what the publishers do.  The games shown by Microsoft interest me more than what Sony has shown so far.  The policies about having to log in don't really effect me.  When I go on vacation I am on vacation from games too.  I am always connected when I play.

I don't know what I am going to do with the next generation of consoles.  Probably wait.

I expected the Playstation Plus subscription policy.  Too much money to be made there.

For me, I am so behind on the amount of games I have yet to play on PS3 that I won't be buying a next gen system for a while. 

• imagefutant462:

I expected the Playstation Plus subscription policy.  Too much money to be made there.

For me, I am so behind on the amount of games I have yet to play on PS3 that I won't be buying a next gen system for a while. 

I don't even have a PS3 yet. Maybe I should just buy one of those? :P

Bummed PS4 is not back-compatible. Sadly all consoles seem to be headed that way. 

• imageLuckyDad:
    imagefutant462:

Bummed PS4 is not back-compatible. Sadly all consoles seem to be headed that way. 

I bought my PS3 in 2009, so at that point they had stopped making the backward compatible models.  It really isn't that big of deal as long as you keep your older systems.  I still get a lot of use out of my Wii and PS2.

• PrimePrime member
    imageLuckyDad:
    imagefutant462:

We'll have to see what the game streaming service entails for Sony (and how much more money they'll demand to use it).  They've said you'll be able to stream PS3 games, but I don't know if that means you can do it on the PS4.

• imagefutant462:

I bought my PS3 in 2009, so at that point they had stopped making the backward compatible models.  It really isn't that big of deal as long as you keep your older systems.  I still get a lot of use out of my Wii and PS2.

I want to hook up the old PS2 at some point in the future. Especially for Dance Dance Revolution with DS once he's old enough.

The Wii is currently hooked up. It was our Netflix box until we got our Blu-Ray player. 

• imagePrime:

We'll have to see what the game streaming service entails for Sony (and how much more money they'll demand to use it).  They've said you'll be able to stream PS3 games, but I don't know if that means you can do it on the PS4.

Of course, the problem of streaming vs. back compatible is the used games issue. I've bought some great games SUPER cheap for my Nintendo DS. With streaming, you pay what they want. It's like kindle vs. physical books. 

• Actually, according to USAToday, Xbox will allow for resale of the games and being hooked up to the internet at least once every 24 hours.

For me, having a game console hooked to the internet even just once a day is way too much for me, I don't like internet gaming at all because I am too slow even if I had a gaming computer to compete with anyone else.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have owned video games back from the Atari 2600 to the Nintendo and all its incarnations (excluding WiiU), and all the XBoxes and PS units (except PS3)... and I don't know if I'll be picking either of them up for a while.  I'm with Wulfgar in that I'm not all that fond of requiring an internet connection simply to play.  It sounds like they want to download your playing tendencies, etc. for advertising purposes and research for game development and such.  I don't do online game play because last thing I need is to get sucked into competitive online Madden or Call of Duty multiplayer.  I know myself and I can get into something and get REALLY into it, and I personally don't even want the option.

That being said, eventually I will probably cave, probably after the 1st price drop, but I don't know which I'd get right now... probably PS4.

• I don't really have $400 to spend on a new system and I damn sure won't have that kind of money when the baby arrives.  So it's time to bust out the ol'...

• imagePrime:

LOL.

Will those be $99 any time soon? 

• PrimePrime member
    They probably won't approach that price until the Xbox One has been out for at least a year.

• I was thinking to get one of the new consoles after they arrive, as I skipped this generation of consoles and stuck to gaming on my PC. I'm now thinking I will likely just stick to PC gaming over the consoles. The only games I'm really wanting a console for are sports and racing games. I'm thinking if I buy a controller (mouse/keyboard doesn't cut it for those genres) I should be able to grab suitable games to avoid paying a ton of money for console/peripherals/games when I've already paid good money to build a quality computer.

But if I were buying one or the other, I very much doubt I'd even consider the purchase of an Xbone. Micro$oft is handling that thing like they don't know their own market. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"