Dads & Dads-to-be

Child care class for Dad's

Today starts the 3rd Tri for us and we are getting ready to sign up for various birthing and child care classes.  Our hospital offers a child care class for Dad's only and I wanted to know whether any of you attended a class like this?  I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it or not considering infant and child care should be covered in another class for both of us.

Re: Child care class for Dad's

• PrimePrime member
    I didn't take one.  My wife gave me a book that was part serious and part humor and I got a couple things from that, but for the most part I've just figured it out as I go.

• imagefutant462:

Today starts the 3rd Tri for us and we are getting ready to sign up for various birthing and child care classes.  Our hospital offers a child care class for Dad's only and I wanted to know whether any of you attended a class like this?  I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it or not considering infant and child care should be covered in another class for both of us.

I did not. How expensive is it? Most childbirth classes do not cover anything beyond birth except maybe BF.

Really the big appeal would be networking. Finding Dad friends in your area can be tough. So I would be tempted just for that reason if it's not too expensive. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Loading the player...
  • My wife and I just went to the birthing class only.  Both of us are the oldest grandchildren for our respective families so we have been around a lot of babies, toddlers, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I went to a class called "Daddy Boot Camp" ran by the hospital.  It was only like $40.  I thought it was pretty cool, got a few decent takeaways without having the women around so the guys could ask questions in an open, safe environment and recent "grads" came in with their babies, so we got a little first hand experience.  The last baby I really dealt with prior to my oldest was my little sister.
  • My wife and I went to a birthing class and then she signed me up for a class, was useful and I liked the instructor. They had all the wives come in about 10 minutes before the class ended and the instructor (a labor nurse) told all the women "Your husband will not kill your child, he might just not do things your way,so trust him and don't harp or he will stop helping."

Best part of the class. :P 

• what hospital are you going to? 

where is this class offered?

In all honesty, my husband hated just about every second of the 8 hour class I signed us up for. In hindsight, it was pretty stupid.

I liked that we had a tour of the hospital. It's really not needed but I felt more comfortable knowing where to go and felt less scared. Like I had never had a baby before, but hey, I know where the cafeteria is so we're good...

Both my kids were breech and I ended up with one emergency and one planed c-section. Everything we learned in class was pretty much out the window.  

• imageLuckyDad:
    imagefutant462:

I did not. How expensive is it? Most childbirth classes do not cover anything beyond birth except maybe BF.

Really the big appeal would be networking. Finding Dad friends in your area can be tough. So I would be tempted just for that reason if it's not too expensive. 

It's only $30.  From the website:

"you will learn about feeding your new baby, holding, changing, bathing, crying, sleeping, signs of illness, development and safety -- and get hands-on practice in a safe environment." 

• imagechapski:

what hospital are you going to? 

where is this class offered?

In all honesty, my husband hated just about every second of the 8 hour class I signed us up for. In hindsight, it was pretty stupid.

I liked that we had a tour of the hospital. It's really not needed but I felt more comfortable knowing where to go and felt less scared. Like I had never had a baby before, but hey, I know where the cafeteria is so we're good...

Both my kids were breech and I ended up with one emergency and one planed c-section. Everything we learned in class was pretty much out the window.  

Troy Beumont.  The class is called "For Dad's Only."

I don't have any siblings and I've probably only held a baby twice in my life so I can see the appeal of this type of class for a complete novice such as myself.  

My wife is probably doing Hypno Birth classes through the hospital and I'm not entirely sure whether they include basic child care.  It's a 5 week program of 3 hour classes once a week.  I want to be an active participant in the L&D but I would be lying if I said I am looking forward to these classes every week for over a month.

• imagefutant462:

My wife is probably doing Hypno Birth classes through the hospital and I'm not entirely sure whether they include basic child care.  It's a 5 week program of 3 hour classes once a week.  I want to be an active participant in the L&D but I would be lying if I said I am looking forward to these classes every week for over a month.

We did hypnobabies. It did not include any childcare except discussion of breast feeding. I didn't mind the class, although I do wish it had been a tad closer to my work. Our instructor was really good, which helped a lot. Although we ended up with a C-section for medical necessity, learning how to calm herself was very useful for DW during the whole process, and I did learn quite a bit too, even if I really, really can't do hypnosis. My mind is too prone to wander down interesting corridors about shows I've watched and video games I like.

I really do need to find myself SOME sort of local Dad group. I'm realizing I need at least one friend I can vent to who will really understand me. My child-free dude friends will listen, but it's not like they GET what being in a marriage with a small child is like. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • imagefutant462:
    imagechapski:

Troy Beumont.  The class is called "For Dad's Only."

I don't have any siblings and I've probably only held a baby twice in my life so I can see the appeal of this type of class for a complete novice such as myself.  

Troy is a nice hospital and I actually know a baby nurse up there, Erin, she's amazing :) 

I think the classes are one of those, "can't hurt" type things. Like you said, especially for someone like you who hasn't really been around kids too much. But just a word of advice, don't sweat it too much. She does all the work then you'll just sorta fall in love when the baby comes and instinct takes over ;)

You'll do great. And don't hesitate to ask a nurse or someone if you want/need help when in hospital.  

• imagechapski:
    imagefutant462:
    imagechapski:

Troy is a nice hospital and I actually know a baby nurse up there, Erin, she's amazing :) 

I think the classes are one of those, "can't hurt" type things. Like you said, especially for someone like you who hasn't really been around kids too much. But just a word of advice, don't sweat it too much. She does all the work then you'll just sorta fall in love when the baby comes and instinct takes over ;)

You'll do great. And don't hesitate to ask a nurse or someone if you want/need help when in hospital.  

This being our first I find myself REALLY over-planning things.  Normally DW is the control-freak/super-planner but it seems as though I've taken over that temperament since she's been pregnant.  In the end I know instinct will take over but for now it feels like I'm getting prepared for an oncoming storm or deep sea diving.

• imageLuckyDad:
    imagefutant462:

We did hypnobabies. It did not include any childcare except discussion of breast feeding. I didn't mind the class, although I do wish it had been a tad closer to my work. Our instructor was really good, which helped a lot. Although we ended up with a C-section for medical necessity, learning how to calm herself was very useful for DW during the whole process, and I did learn quite a bit too, even if I really, really can't do hypnosis. My mind is too prone to wander down interesting corridors about shows I've watched and video games I like.

I really do need to find myself SOME sort of local Dad group. I'm realizing I need at least one friend I can vent to who will really understand me. My child-free dude friends will listen, but it's not like they GET what being in a marriage with a small child is like. 

We are very torn between doing Hypno Babies (via the home kit) or Hypno Birthing classes at the hospital.  Ultimately it may come down to whether or not our insurance covers the classes.

I am lucky enough that about half of my friends have children at this point in our lives so I can go to them for support in a pinch.  That being said, they are not the most open guys who will go into detail about their parenting techniques.  

Are there any recreation-type facilities near you that are family friendly?  Roller skating, indoor water park, etc?  There is a trampoline park not too far from me that I've seen Dad's take their kids to.  It's a good workout for you and the kids love a place that is one giant bouncy surface.  I've played tramp. dodgeball with complete strangers there and it's pretty fun.

• imagepolooo26:
    imagepolooo26:

"That being said, they are not the most open guys who will go into detail about their parenting techniques.  "

I would consider this a good thing.

Here is some advice on that note though. Watch how they parent. If they do something you like then do that. If you see something you don't like then don't do that. You can go this with strangers too.

If someone had questions about my parenting techniques I wouldn't know what to say. I just kinda go with it. Sometimes I do good and sometimes I don't. One thing I do is I only pick the battles I feel are worth winning.

So instinct and imitation.  I agree with you and that's pretty much the advice I get from my friends.  I'm scared sh!tless sometimes thinking of being a Dad and taking care of a baby which is why taking a class might somewhat lessen the fear for me.

• So we decided to do the Hypnobirthing classes as they are partially covered by our insurance.  We also signed up for a CPR class (that covers infant, toddler, and adult CPR) and a BF class.  

The Hypnobirthing classes include some basic child care but DW and I decided to sign up for an additional child care class together if we felt we needed it instead of me attending the Dad's class.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"