Stay at Home Moms

If you went from WM to SAHM

Disclaimer: This is NOT a mommy wars post. If you went from WM to SAHM do you think it made your life easier? Right now I am a FT WM with 2 kids, DD almost 3 and DS 15months. My DH works long hours with a crazy long commute so basically everything falls on me during the week. I get both kids up and ready and take them to DC, then work all day, pick the up, get home at 6pm. I have to get the kids dinner while they are cranky and tired/hungry. DH is usually home to help with bedtime at least. But then I have to pack lunches and stuff for the next day. I feel overwhelmed a lot of the time and I feel like I am never caught up on stuff. Part of me feels like it would be sooo much easier if I didn't work. Right now this is not a possibility financially, but it may be in the future. But then I wonder if it would still be hard, just in a different way. For example I'd have to give up the cleaning service I'm sure. But my mom is closeby and I know she would come over a lot to help me out. So I guess I'm just curious what your experience has been. Did you feel less stressed out when you started staying home? Or did you miss having the "break" of going to work? Did you feel lonely and isolated or did you find it was easier to make other mommy friends once you were home?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you went from WM to SAHM

• Amy - I think working PT would be awesome.  I switched jobs a few months ago, and I'm not sure if PT is a possibility at my new job.  I'm thinking about looking into it.  I'm also not sure how much PT DC would cost.

DH and I have been talking about the future.  He is opening up more to the possibility of changing jobs closer to home.  I think I proved to him that we would not be able to find someplace close enough to NY that we could afford to live (at least not the lifestyle that we both want).

• I've been a SAHM since my kids were born, so take my opinion for what it is...

I think being at home is difficult in a different way than working outside the home, but they both have their challenges. I used to teach and had work to bring home...being a SAHM is like that in that the work feels like it's never ending. My job as SAHM is 24 7 365...there are no lunch breaks and no sick days.

SAHMs do everything that WMs nannies or daycare do and more. For many SAHMs, we are also cleaning service, chef, chauffeur, instructor, and volunteer. We wear many hats.

• Loading the player...
  • I worked full time for a while and am now a SAHM but plan to return to work when all kids are in school.  I think it's harder in some ways, but it is easier for me personally because I enjoy it so much. People said it would get better.  I dunno, I just always felt like I was meant to be a mom and being him with them is where I belong right now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageamy052006:

Disclaimer - I work part time.

Eff yeah it is easier!

This.  EXACTLY this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageamy052006:

imageSpin313:
    I've been a SAHM since my kids were born, so take my opinion for what it is...

I think being at home is difficult in a different way than working outside the home, but they both have their challenges. I used to teach and had work to bring home...being a SAHM is like that in that the work feels like it's never ending. My job as SAHM is 24 7 365...there are no lunch breaks and no sick days.

SAHMs do everything that WMs nannies or daycare do and more. For many SAHMs, we are also cleaning service, chef, chauffeur, instructor, and volunteer. We wear many hats.

I guess this is where I differ.

I really don't think being a SAHM is 24/7 -- unless that is the deal you have with your partner.

All that other stuff you mentioned -- all parents do that, including my husband.  It's comes with having kids.

It's not like if you work outside the home you don't cook or clean.  Unless you have a cook or cleaning lady, and hell, lots of SAHMs do, including some on this board.

I'm no more "on" 24/7 than any other parent.  

My DH is a very active parent and husband, but I'm still a 24/7 mom. When you work outside of the home, you get to leave and come home. It's a break from one environment to the next. Both are work, but you are getting a separation. How many working individuals could stay at their job from wake up to bedtime and not want to pull their hair out or strangle one of their coworkers?!?

I think the biggest advantage that WMs have is the ability to call in sick or take a personal day. Unless SAHMs have a babysitter or family member on call, that usually isn't possible and we have to suck it up. I hate that!

• imageSpin313:
    imageamy052006:

imageSpin313:
    I've been a SAHM since my kids were born, so take my opinion for what it is... I think being at home is difficult in a different way than working outside the home, but they both have their challenges. I used to teach and had work to bring home...being a SAHM is like that in that the work feels like it's never ending. My job as SAHM is 24 7 365...there are no lunch breaks and no sick days. SAHMs do everything that WMs nannies or daycare do and more. For many SAHMs, we are also cleaning service, chef, chauffeur, instructor, and volunteer. We wear many hats.

I guess this is where I differ. I really don't think being a SAHM is 24/7 -- unless that is the deal you have with your partner.

All that other stuff you mentioned -- all parents do that, including my husband.  It's comes with having kids.

It's not like if you work outside the home you don't cook or clean.  Unless you have a cook or cleaning lady, and hell, lots of SAHMs do, including some on this board.

I'm no more "on" 24/7 than any other parent.  

My DH is a very active parent and husband, but I'm still a 24/7 mom. When you work outside of the home, you get to leave and come home. It's a break from one environment to the next. Both are work, but you are getting a separation. How many working individuals could stay at their job from wake up to bedtime and not want to pull their hair out or strangle one of their coworkers?!? I think the biggest advantage that WMs have is the ability to call in sick or take a personal day. Unless SAHMs have a babysitter or family member on call, that usually isn't possible and we have to suck it up. I hate that!
    See my thought is that Working moms do everything that SAHM's do, but I only get half the amount of time to do it in. I will admit that I do run errands or go to the gym on my lunch break, which is awesome. And I would miss that if I stayed home. I also have a cleaning service which I would have to give up. So those are some of the things that come to mind when I asked the question, is it easier? I think its unfair to assume that WM's get sick days and personal days. I don't get a ton of time off at my job and its vacation and sick time in one lump, so anytime I am sick- or more likely my kids are sick from daycare- that cuts into my vacation time, which I treasure b/c I don't get to be with my kids every day. I had just started a new job in November and only had 3 days off at Christmas. It's stuff like that that I HATE about working. Any time I am sick, I too have to suck it up and go to work, b/c I don't have the time to take off. Any time one of my kids is sick I have to deal with the stress of taking off work or finding someone to stay home with them. And I hate having to make the judgment call of whether to send my semi-sick child to daycare or keep them home based on me going to work, rather than on what is best for them. I hate that.

• I work part-time as well. I ended up really hating SAH, it was too isolating, and I really like having time during the day where I don't have to only think about my kids and my house.

Can your DH get things ready at night for the next day? If he's back for bedtime, then I'm assuming he's around after they go to sleep as well. It sounds like he could pitch in more so less prep falls on you (since you have the majority of the child wrangling before and after work). 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I haven't been a SAHM very long, but so far it is much better for me. I had a stressful demanding job. It was hard for me to juggle getting everything done at home and work. I would love to work part time, but PT jobs in my field aren't that easy to find. 
  • I became a SAHM after being a FT WM for a few years, so I have been on both sides of the fence.

It is WAY easier SAH. My DH also works long hours so I was working FT and doing every drop off, pick up, bath, dinner and bed....then after they went to bed would have to get things ready for daycare for the following day and if I was up for it do some cleaning.

Don't get me wrong, SAH can be demanding, but overall, I am way less rushed and stressed being at home.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks, OP. I am in a similar situation and am changing to SAH at the end of the year.As much as I want to do this I am still freaking out about the change and reading these responses is great. If you do keep working, maybe consider changing to a nanny? I think that is what made it possible for me to hang on this long.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I went from ftwm to ptwm to sahm back to ptwm.  I loved staying at home.  I really miss it now.  I thought I "missed my career." and now I miss my kids.  I'm hoping I will adjust.  I think getting a taste of staying home has just made working more difficult though.  But right now, working is what's best for us financially, and it is only part time.  I think this is highly personal for everyone... Good luck with finding the right balance for you!
    "When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew." -Shakespere

• 1)  I have a better social life when I am at home.  Most of my friends are SAHM's, and they are busy evenings and weekends.  I also spent a lot of time visiting elderly relatives, talking with neighbors, and doing other social stuff.  

2)  There is just less to worry about.  Honestly, I worry more about my kids when the babysitter is caring for them than I do when I am caring for them.  On top of it, I worry about my job.  I am especially anxiety-prone, but I have a lot more sleepless nights as a WM than a SAHM.

3)  No stress about the kids being sick.  If my kid has strep, then I take him to the doctor.  While I am there, I talk about my kid.  I don't have to reschedule my own appointments and deal with Mrs. Z who burned her house down that morning with a piece of paper with my name written on it because I cancelled her appointment.  

4)  No stress about DH working late or traveling.  If H has to work late, then he has to work late.  It is absolutely no big deal at all.  It does not mean that I have to cancel my last appointments of the day, then run out of work to see my kids with one caregiver in the dark daycare.  

5)  I get to be outside.  I love playing outside.  Love playing with my kids, taking them to the zoo, doing crafts, etc. 

6)  If I can't get something done one day, then I can just do it the next day.  Kids being crazy at Target?  We will just leave and go tomorrow.   Didn't get the laundry done?  I'll just finish it in the morning. 

• imageamy052006:

Also, and maybe I should save this for UO or FFC, but I don't think you really know what it is like to work out of the home and have kids unless you've lived it.

Sure, working pre-kids was hell easier than being responsible for two living beings as a SAHM (maybe, in my case I still would not say that). But I assure you that is not the case when you try to juggle both. 

Ive worked outside of the home with kids and I still find sah to be the most difficult. I think it's easier to get things done with more time, sure. I am in day five of nonstop two year old whining. That is far more difficult for me to mentally deal with than work stress but I suppose that's me and my personality. 

I also see a huge difference in my house anyway the amount of cleaning I have to do when the kids were home for 3 hours before bedtime vs an all day thing regardless of how quick my kids can trash a playroom. 

• I work part-time and really feel like it is the best of both worlds. I was considering quitting my job to SAH since we were having childcare issues but we have worked that out so for now I am working 3 days a week.

It's nice because during the week I clean the house and run errands. I grocery shop every other Saturday when DS1 is gone to his bio mom's, but for the most part our weekends are totally relaxed because there is nothing really to do. I tend to cook more involved meals on my 4 days off and quick easy ones on the days I work.

I know that the nights before I work when I have to get bottles/pump parts/lunch and everything ready for the next day I am thankful I'm not having to do that every single night. You are probably right that things would be easier if you didn't work.

You said you can't financially swing it right now, but maybe look into PT work? PT daycare may be cheaper than you think. Also, I'm sure this isn't a popular on this board, but have you thought about cutting expenses and extras? Maybe then it would be more financially feasible. Obviously you would lose daycare expense, cut down on gas, maybe dry-cleaning/professional clothes, and you said your cleaning service. If you didn't work as much maybe you would have more time to menu plan, shop sales and cut down on grocery expenses. Could you downgrade cell phones? Rework your internet or cable plan? Mow your own lawn? These things might not be possible for everyone but if you are truly miserable as a WM, there are ways to make SAH work.

BFP 11/29/11 MC 12/29/11
  • imageKC_13:
    imageamy052006:

Also, and maybe I should save this for UO or FFC, but I don't think you really know what it is like to work out of the home and have kids unless you've lived it.

Sure, working pre-kids was hell easier than being responsible for two living beings as a SAHM (maybe, in my case I still would not say that). But I assure you that is not the case when you try to juggle both. 

Ive worked outside of the home with kids and I still find sah to be the most difficult. I think it's easier to get things done with more time, sure. I am in day five of nonstop two year old whining. That is far more difficult for me to mentally deal with than work stress but I suppose that's me and my personality. 

I also see a huge difference in my house anyway the amount of cleaning I have to do when the kids were home for 3 hours before bedtime vs an all day thing regardless of how quick my kids can trash a playroom. 

I agree about being home all day means a messier house. I clean my kitchen 2-3x a day and feel like I'm constantly picking up when I'm home. 

BFP 11/29/11 MC 12/29/11
  • I've done both - and my mom worked so we've also talked about it a lot.  Here are my two cents:

Both are hard, in different ways.  My house get way messier and needs to be cleaned/straightened way more often with me staying home. I am constantly in the kitchen (because I cook lunch now, make snacks, etc - meaning more to clean up). I also have to straighten up periodically throughout the day because of messes DS makes (or him having an accident in his crib, etc).  

It's also really hard on days DS is super whiny/teething/etc.  There have been days where I seriously wished like everything that I had a job to go to because he was SO difficult.  Is that every day?  Of course not, but there ARE those days (and I was a classroom teacher, with 25 5th graders.  So going to work certainly wasn't a walk in the park).

It can also be hard on the days we are literally in our apartment. all. day. long.  I crave adult interaction, brain stimulation, etc.

BUT there are days where this feels like it's not even work at all.  Days we have a blast together, get to have a park/lunch date with friends, get errands run and chores done so that when DH gets home we can just enjoy the evening with nothing else to do the remainder of the night.  

I don't believe it's true that WM do everything that SAH moms do in a fraction of the time.  They do a lot, but not everything because during those hours someone else is changing the diapers, feeding the child, helping them go to sleep, etc.  When I worked, I wasn't the one doing those things.

Anyhow, like I said at the beginning - I think both have their challenges.  This (me SAH) is the better fit for me and our family - and in general I do think it's easier (most days), but there's no such thing as having an "Easy" life as a mom (at least, not that I have found/experienced). 

SAHM to Eli, born 11.26.11
  • jjt616jjt616 member
    imageDiapersWipes:
    I'm with amynunbers. If being a WM was easier I think most if us would be at work right now. I know I would.

I want to be a martyr about this, I really do but I can't. I make my own schedule, clean when I feel like it, cook when I feel like it, I can meet my mom or friends for lunch and get to hang w my kid all day. Yes she can be whiny, clingy and annoying....basically a toddler. Yes, errands take longer, cooking takes longer, life takes longer but that's ok because I have all day to get stuff done.

My husband doesn't care if the house is spotless or if we have a five course meal for dinner. He's happy to pick up toys when he gets home or eat a sandwich or cereal for dinner. He knows some days I can't get it all done and he's fine with that. Maybe that's why my gig is so easy.

I started feeling like staying home is easy when I quit trying to do it all. Some days my kid watching PBS for a hour while I close my eyes on the couch. Some days we sit and color all morning in our pjs. It's ok. She's not doing to die because I don't engage her all day long in super educational activities.

You summed it up perfectly. I completely agree! I spent all morning getting DH, my dad and fils Father's Day stuff. It's all done and was fun and relaxing doing it. If I was working then I'd have to run around after work or Saturday and knowing me be stressed about it all. I also am training for a triathlon. I go to the gym in the morning w dd or I run or bike outside at nights when DH gets home or in the weekends. I know myself and if I worked full time there's no way id exercise after work. I think there's a lot of perks to staying home.

• I went from a job I loved to stay at home which I also love. Each has it's own challenges and rewards. I feel I can not compare being a SAHM to when I was a working mom. But I love not having the stress of who was going to pick up my son from daycare. If I was at court and my husband was on a call neither of us could leave work to get him if he was sick or if we both got stuck at work at the end of the day.  We don't live by any family that could help. That was the biggest stressor.

I also had a cleaner house when I was working bc no one was ever home lol. It is also hard if I'm sick or need a mental health day, I can't just bring him to daycare. Im 17 weeks pregnant and spent the first tri in the bathroom over the toilet with a two year old on my back lol. 

I joined some mom groups in the area and have made great friends. We have playdates 4 days a week. My husband and I also agreed my job is taking care of my son, running errands during the day and making dinner most nights. When we are both home chores, meals and child care is split. We also give each other a night off a month to go out with friends and take turns sleeping in on weekends. It helped set up expectations.

There is no right or wrong answer. I struggled with not having a " working" identity for a while. I'll be home for a year next month and am finally starting to create a new me, but grasping I'm not just a mom, I'm more than that even though I do not have an outside job. Good luck 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSpin313:
    I've been a SAHM since my kids were born, so take my opinion for what it is... I think being at home is difficult in a different way than working outside the home, but they both have their challenges. I used to teach and had work to bring home...being a SAHM is like that in that the work feels like it's never ending. My job as SAHM is 24 7 365...there are no lunch breaks and no sick days. SAHMs do everything that WMs nannies or daycare do and more. For many SAHMs, we are also cleaning service, chef, chauffeur, instructor, and volunteer. We wear many hats.

This right here.

I'm going on day 3 of watching my kids with no break and barely any sleep because toddlers are jerks. 

Being a SAHM is significantly more difficult than being a WM. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, I really appreciate it.  All the moms I know have either always been WM's or always SAH.  I'm sure it is a big change going from one to the other.  I do hope to SAH eventually, hopefully by the time we have baby #3.  Right now I could probably go PT, which I would love, but we are really trying to save up money to move to a bigger house before we expand our family.

I agree with some of the ladies that said WM's don't do everything that SAHMs do b/c someone else is caring for the children.  My problem is keeping up with the cooking, laundry, packing lunches, etc. all after work.  I feel like we try to do so much fun stuff with the kids on the weekends and we are also trying to cram in housework and chores.  There's just not enough time to do it all.  Having a nanny might make it easier, but I really love our daycare center, and I think the cost of a nanny (plus activities for the kids) would still be more expensive than 2 in daycare.

I think the poster who said it's easier b/c she doesn't try to "do it all" really summed it up nicely.  When I was on ML, that's how I felt.  We were totally relaxed and unscheduled.  I wasn't stressed out because nothing really had to get done at any point in time.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

• imageamy052006:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

imageSpin313:

This right here.

I'm going on day 3 of watching my kids with no break and barely any sleep because toddlers are jerks. 

Honestly, I completely would not blame someone with a career for throat punching someone over this statement. 

For you it might be -- maybe you have an odd set of circumstances.  But seriously -- as a blanket statement that is beyond eyeroll worthy. 

Well, yes.

That is my opinion, which is what the OP asked for.   It is not a slam against SAHMs or WMs, but my personal experience.  

I have a very odd set of circumstances.   Anyone who knows me or my story is well aware of those.

So step off, Amynumbers, until you've walked a mile in my shoes as well.

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imageHav=Fath:
    imageCinemaGoddess:
    imageamy052006:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

imageSpin313:

This right here.

Honestly, I completely would not blame someone with a career for throat punching someone over this statement. 

For you it might be -- maybe you have an odd set of circumstances.  But seriously -- as a blanket statement that is beyond eyeroll worthy. 

Well, yes.

That is my opinion, which is what the OP asked for.   It is not a slam against SAHMs or WMs, but my personal experience.  

I have a very odd set of circumstances.   Anyone who knows me or my story is well aware of those.

So step off, Amynumbers, until you've walked a mile in my shoes as well.

But to us you're a total stranger and we don't know your special circumstances so don't assume we do. You made a blanket statement that SAH is significantly harder than working full time. Just saying, if you have special circumstances when making a comment like that it's a good idea to add that. 

lol. Ok. Sorry I forgot two words and was threatened with a throat punch.  Makes sense and is totally reasonable. 

My special circumstances: 2.5 year old extremely active and strong twins. No help from family except for when my parents take them for a few days every 6 weeks. No way to put them into daycare because job market sucks. Very low on money so no going to drop them off at the gym or take them to a museum is out of the question.  No taking them on walks to burn off energy because they go in two opposite directions even when on backpack harnesses and so it's like herding cats.  They are the size of 5 year olds with the minds of 2.5 year olds.   

I am doing this by myself.  I am with my daughters all day, every day, by myself.   Go ahead and tell me this is all my fault and I have options because I've heard (and tried) it all.  

I am stuck being a SAHM until I can find a job that will allow me to afford the $2k+ a month for childcare. 

So there is my story.  And yes, it is harder, so much harder, than working because my job does.not.end.   I don't get to leave it at work.  My job is where I live. 

I feel very strongly about this.   

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageamy052006:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

imageSpin313:
    I've been a SAHM since my kids were born, so take my opinion for what it is...

This right here.

Amy, your comment is exactly why things don't stay civil and instead turn into a mommy war. People are allowed to have differing opinions, and in fact that's what the OP asked for.

• Cinemagoddess, I appreciate your opinion as well.  It sounds like you are a SAHM due to circumstances, not by choice.  I wish both of us the possibility to have the choice of whether to work of stay at home, in the future.

I hate that the womens movement was aimed at giving women, especially moms, the choice to work.  For many of us, there is no choice.  We either can't afford to stay home or can't afford to pay for daycare so we can work.

• I didn't mean to spew all of my SAHMing bitterness all up in this thread.  I truly didn't. 

I'm not made to be a SAHM and I'm not happy with my current circumstances.  I'm doing my best to get out of it but job market sucking and all makes it difficult. 

I know there are a lot of women who want to be SAHMs and would kill to trade places with me, but holy crap it is hard. 

I give my husband a hard time because he complains about receiving a curt email and I'm like "Did you get literally pooped on today?  Did you have to clean up milk spills 17 times because tantrums?  No, then shut yer trap, yo." 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageamy052006:
    imageSpin313:
    imageamy052006:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

imageSpin313:

This right here.

Amy, your comment is exactly why things don't stay civil and instead turn into a mommy war. People are allowed to have differing opinions, and in fact that's what the OP asked for.

Except that opinion was stated as a fact.  Which was later clarified, but still it was stated as a fact.  Not a "for me I feel...". 

I assumed the "for me" was implied since it was a request for opinion.

I'll remember that next time I post in one of these threads.

My bad.

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageHav=Fath:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

I didn't mean to spew all of my SAHMing bitterness all up in this thread.  I truly didn't. 

I'm not made to be a SAHM and I'm not happy with my current circumstances.  I'm doing my best to get out of it but job market sucking and all makes it difficult. 

I know there are a lot of women who want to be SAHMs and would kill to trade places with me, but holy crap it is hard. 

I give my husband a hard time because he complains about receiving a curt email and I'm like "Did you get literally pooped on today?  Did you have to clean up milk spills 17 times because tantrums?  No, then shut yer trap, yo." 

From the other post I thought you were single, does he help you when he gets home or isn't working? Or on the weekends so you can have a break? If it's none of my business that's okay too. I just wish you could get a break, I'd be pretty miserable without one.

Oh I'm married. DH and I have a schedule but unless I physically leave the house I don't get a break and I can't always leave because money issues. It's better now that I can go to a park and read but sometimes I don't even have the duckets to go to the Starbucks and get a coffee and read during the winter. Most of my breaks involve going to the grocery store. I do get a few breaks this summer when DH goes on hiking trips and my parents take the girls, but that is rare. I'll stop being a Debbie Downer now. lolz.

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Benedict Cumberbatch, amynumbers. 

He's the faux husband I share with SookieFrackhouse. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• That sounds like some epic dipshittery, amy.  I'm sorry you had a rough time. 

Hav - we did look into it, but we still made too much money (on paper) to qualify. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageHav=Fath:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

That sounds like some epic dipshittery, amy.  I'm sorry you had a rough time. 

Hav - we did look into it, but we still made too much money (on paper) to qualify. 

I'm the crook on the SAH board, I'd lie and say you were living separately so you'd qualify. I'm not for lying and abusing the system, but it's different IMO when there are 2 parents that are truly trying to make it, both WANT to work. When your situation got better and you could afford daycare, you could "reunite". But, I'm not saying anyone else should lie because that would be wrong. 

ETA: I don't think I"d actually be able to follow through with doing it so please don't go ape shiit crazy one me. 

Yeah, I couldn't lie about something like that because I know I would get caught and then things would get worse for us.

I can't even take a shot of vodka in the middle of the day because I'm too afraid of "What if something happens and I have to drive?" even though some days I really need a shot of vodka.

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageamy052006:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

imageSpin313:

This right here.

your token response is when someone mentions sah is hard you say it's so easy and anyone else who thinks otherwise is trying to play the martyr. Why is this any different than the stuff you say on this topic regularly? 

• I don't throw out the martyrdom because it's boring and it's easier to just stare at Benedict Cumberbatch and forget all my worries.

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageamy052006:
    imageCinemaGoddess:
    I don't throw out the martyrdom because it's boring and it's easier to just stare at Benedict Cumberbatch and forget all my worries.
    Please stay.

lolz.  Ok.  I get angry sometimes.  I'm just warning you.  The girls don't nap anymore so I go about 15 hours straight having to deal with them.  I get grumpy. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imagejf198400:

I think the poster who said it's easier b/c she doesn't try to "do it all" really summed it up nicely.  When I was on ML, that's how I felt.  We were totally relaxed and unscheduled.  I wasn't stressed out because nothing really had to get done at any point in time.

Yes, this is the biggest change for me. I have to make sure things get done at x time on x day, which gets tiresome. It's much easier being able to just run errands when you feel like it, or have all day to scrub the house. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imageamy052006:
    imageKC_13:
    imageamy052006:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

imageSpin313:

This right here.

your token response is when someone mentions sah is hard you say it's so easy and anyone else who thinks otherwise is trying to play the martyr. Why is this any different than the stuff you say on this topic regularly? 

Because she isn't comparing a normal circumstance? And because there is a difference between "easy" and "easy"?

And frankly she is new to this board and I haven't sniffed out the martyrdom that other people throw out on the regular. 

i just don't get what gives you the privilege to make blanket statements yet no one else can. 

• I'll never understand why this always turns into a pissing contest.  Being a mom is hard no matter how you slice it.  Being a WM and being a SAHM both have their unique challenges.  Some people aren't cut out to be WMs some aren't cut out to SAH.  Not to mention everyone has a different experience with their individual child(ren) and their (outside the home) workplace/job.  You just can't make general statements about which is harder because YOU DON'T KNOW MY LYFE!

But seriously, you don't.  And I don't know yours.  And that's why these comparisons never get anywhere because it's impossible to generalize it, which really helps no one.  

::bangs gavel::  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagenosoup4u:
    imagejf198400:

Yes, this is the biggest change for me. I have to make sure things get done at x time on x day, which gets tiresome. It's much easier being able to just run errands when you feel like it, or have all day to scrub the house. 

This is fantastic if you have infants, but once they hit toddler tornado, you don't always get to do this. 

It also crushes your soul a little bit when you spend a long time getting the house cleaned up and within 15 minutes it's completely trashed again. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageamy052006:

And yeah, I completely stand by the theory that all things being equal, someone working 9-5 plus a commute (like a normal working mom without the chef and hosuekeeper) is most likely rolling her eyes, hard, at the SAHM with the typical situation saying how much more difficult her lyfe is.

Maybe I have too many friends doing the high powered career thing -- that shiit just is not story time and crock pot meals.  Even without the cleaning. 

Yeah, but like I said, it's also soul crushing when you try to do a good job at the only job you have and your bosses are continually destroying your work so you have to start all over again from scratch. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• I was never a WM, but being a SAHM is way easier for me than working FT without kids.  My job was really stressful with long hours.  My H works long hours and travels for a stressful job, except he made a lot more money.  I could just see the conflicts about dropping off/picking up from daycare, who would stay home for sick days etc.  

Sure we have rough days but overall, my life is pretty good. 

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I didn't say something idiotic, tho.  I said something I believe to be true. 

There is a difference. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"