Working Moms

Working Moms of Three

Can I get some insight?  I work outside of the home full time and have a four year old and a 2.5 yr old.  We are thinking of having a third and just want to hear some other experiences from those in the same boat.

thanks! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Working Moms of Three

• WBMomWBMom member

We have three (almost 1, 4 and 8 yrs old).  DH and I both work FT outside the home.  The first couple of months back after maternity leave and trying to get everyone out the door was a little crazy.  Our little ones go to daycare (and get dropped off at 2 different buildings) and the older one is in grade school.  Now it is soooo much better.  The two older ones know what they have to do to get ready.  The 4 yr old packs up her backpack (using a picture chart) with a sweatshirt, tennis shoes (if she wore sandals), and water bottle.  The older one packs up her backpack also and gets her lunch ready the night before.  The little one just sleeps until about 30 min before we leave and his bag is packed up the night before.  He gets breakfast at DC so we don't feed him before we go. 

Pick up is good also.  We have still not perfected getting homework done, eat dinner and playtime with everyone.  But we do a pretty good job of making sure everyone gets attention.  The slow cooker is our best friend for dinner, we plan one night out for dinner and we have no qualms about having breakfast for dinner either.  You do get into your groove and things honestly just work themselves out.

Good luck with your decision!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm leaving my job, so maybe I'm not a great case study. :) Really, though, I have wanted to leave or cut my hours for a long time, even with 2 kids. My husband works a lot of long hours plus weekends and I just feel like things are way too crazy and messy. So, I decided to go part-time at work until the end of the year and then SAH for awhile. My job wasn't willing to do part-time longer term. I think I would love to work part-time if I could find something that would pay enough to be worth it, but for me, full time is just more than I want/feel we can really handle right now. 

Anyway, the third baby wasn't really a huge factor. If you are making it work okay with 2, you probably can with 3. It does add a layer of complexity just having one more person, and I always think that everything is harder with a baby until the baby is a year old or so. 

So much depends on your baby. My second was SUPER hard with reflux and eating aversions (wouldn't take a bottle) and so when he was a baby that was our hardest stage. Our third baby has been wonderful, so that has made this transition a lot easier than it could have been.

We just knew that we wanted to have at least 3 kids, even if it meant a rough patch at the beginning. I really love having three so far. Our little one is now at that super cute 6 months old stage and she's such a joy. It's awesome watching the older two interact with her. :)   

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much!  I feel the joy outweighs any logistic issues, but my husband is really focused on that.  We shall see!

• Funny. I haven't posted in a long time and came to check the boards for insight on this topic ; A sign maybe?

We have a 3yo DD and 6mo old baby boy so not interested in trying anytime soon, but I find myself much more baby crazy now than I was when my daughter was a baby. Weird? My husband is on the fence, so we will see.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Both DH and I work full time outside the home. We had trouble getting 2 out the door, mostly because it was so early. I have to be to work by 7am. What has helped us is having in home child care. We love our sitter and she has been a life saver. I know this doesn't work for everyone but it has been super helpful for us. Agree though about the evenings being tough, but that's more my own time management issues that anything else. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • First off, I only work three days a week, so things are only hectic three mornings and evenings for us. Adding another hasn't been nearly as challenging as I thought. We're on th road by 8, and they all go to the same daycare which makes things easier. Once I'm done pumping and dealing with the bottles andnpump parts I think things will be pretty smooth. But then ds1 will be in kindergarten and I'll have multiple dropoffs...always something. :) I wouldn't change it for the world...except maybe to add a fourth. ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelsigler:
    Funny. I haven't posted in a long time and came to check the boards for insight on this topic ; A sign maybe? We have a 3yo DD and 6mo old baby boy so not interested in trying anytime soon, but I find myself much more baby crazy now than I was when my daughter was a baby. Weird? My husband is on the fence, so we will see.

Yes!  Definitely a sign!   :) 

• Dang, I think I should just sticky note my answer to this. Cliff's note version is yes, it's doable, just stay organized. Long version is probably in my posting history.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"