January 2013 Moms

Are Bumpers Ever Ok?

So I know LOs aren't supposed to have anything in their crib up to a certain point but when is it ok to put bumpers in? I ask because Blair rolls and moves all around and has woken up with his leg stuck. My mom made my crib bedding, it's gorgeous, but is it ok to put the bumpers in so his arms and legs don't get stuck? He's not swaddled and has great head and neck control.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Are Bumpers Ever Ok?

• We use the breathable bumpers because DD kept getting her limbs stuck. I felt more comfortable with the breathable in case she does get her face against the size. I put my face up to them and could breathe fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageemja0214:
    We use the breathable bumpers because DD kept getting her limbs stuck. I felt more comfortable with the breathable in case she does get her face against the size. I put my face up to them and could breathe fine.
    this!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageloreeann86:
    imageemja0214:
    We use the breathable bumpers because DD kept getting her limbs stuck. I felt more comfortable with the breathable in case she does get her face against the size. I put my face up to them and could breathe fine.
    this!

Same here. They've made a real difference in sleep for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This, we have a breathable one. I do check it every day to see if it needs adjusted. DS always puts his feet on the one side while he plays in the AM and the bumper will shimmy down. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• We started using the breathable bumpers at 5 months.  DS was getting limbs stuck between the slats and bumping his head on them too.  As PP has said, I too put my face up to it and my breathing wasn't obstructed at all.  The way they are installed allows a soft surface to avoid injury from bumping their head while also restricting the limbs from going thru.  I love them.

my hero wears kevlar Pictures, Images and Photos

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We have the breathable bumpers. They do need adjusting from time to time, but other then that they havn't been an issue. They don't have padding as PP said, so they are not great for babies that are bonking their head....
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imageshanie33:

They will never be "recommended", but it is your decision as a mom.  I just bought real, non breathable bumpers.  I plan to hold off until Connor is 6 months, but the benefits outweighed the cons for us.  He bumps his head constantly on the crib - and not softly either. 

LO has regular bumpers, and they have been in his crib for about a month.  (Flame away!)  I lay him down lengthwise, and he turns himself width-wise in his sleep (similar to how the hands on a clock turn).  This wouldn't be such a big deal except that DS is 27 inches long, so I was dealing with stuck limbs and a bonked head at the same time.  Now he doesn't hurt himself or wake himself up.  Was I worried at first?  Sure, but it was outweighed by worrying about his little noggin after a couple of mornings with him screaming.

Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"