April 2013 Moms

Grunting

I think I have a gassy baby. He is always grunting and almost seems like he is constipated. He does have gas a lot and I can't tell it makes him uncomfortable. He also has the hiccups a lot but i know that is common. He is bf and gets and gets about 4 oz of formula a day. I tried gas drops and he seems to be spitting up more than usual.

Anything else I can do to make my sweet LO more comfortable?
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Grunting

• hiccups usually dont bother babies, especially if they used to get them in the womb.DS grunts a lot too, but he doesnt seem to be in pain, or cries. he just kicks his legs up a lot.

what about switching formula?  do you eat foods that may be causing the gas?

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • My boy grunts a lot, too. I asked his ped about it, because it sounds like he is straining, but she said it is normal. He poops just fine, so it isn't that. She said babies just like making noise and have nothing else to do, ha ha.

He is EBF and toots and burps like a little frat boy.
  • Loading the player...
  • none5none5 member

imagecheesecakerunner:
    . He is EBF and toots and burps like a little frat boy.

this cracked me up. I could say the same about my DD. haha 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageRussianMommy:
    hiccups usually dont bother babies, especially if they used to get them in the womb.DS grunts a lot too, but he doesnt seem to be in pain, or cries. he just kicks his legs up a lot.what about switching formula?nbsp; do you eat foods that may be causing the gas?

I may try a different formula. I'm lost when it comes to formula. I use Gerber gentle smooth. Is there a certain kind that is better or worse? Also, my foods, I have no idea what could be upsetting him!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    imagenone5:

imagecheesecakerunner:

He is EBF and toots and burps like a little frat boy.

this cracked me up. I could say the same about my DD. haha 

Ditto about my DD!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • evertzevertz member

imagecheesecakerunner:
    My boy grunts a lot, too. I asked his ped about it, because it sounds like he is straining, but she said it is normal. He poops just fine, so it isn't that. She said babies just like making noise and have nothing else to do, ha ha. He is EBF and toots and burps like a little frat boy.

This, my pedi said it's totally normal too and not to worry about it. It's hard not to when he gets all red in the face from straining but he poops fine do I just wait for it to pass. 

Try taking his mind off it. I usually swaddle him and bounce him in the bouncer to help distract him and he'll usually stop. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My pediatrician said that my DS is grunting and acting constipated because he's clenching everything tight and trying to poop with his anus squeezed as shut as he can get it. She told me to bicycle his legs when he does it and eventually he will make the connection that it's easier to poop with legs bent. So, we've been in this lovely push the legs war whenever he gets all grunty.

For the record, he was pooping fine and every day. Then, he started this grunting stuff and stopped pooping as often. My theory is that his clenching muscles got stronger than his pooping muscles. So, now he ends up pooping a giant explosion or two about every third day, and there is no indication of constipation. His poop looks just like it did before but now there is MUCH more of it at once since it doesn't come out as often. 

He does seem to be making the connection though, as yesterday's explosion was done without me holding his legs up for him, and he put them in the right position himself. Today, grunting again... *sigh*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"