Babies: 0 - 3 Months

getting ears pierced

We want to get DD ears pierced, just not sure when the best time to do it.  Some other mommies have suggested doing it soon so that she won't play with them.   Anyone else getting their LOs ears pierced?  If so, when?

Re: getting ears pierced

• Ella is 9w I would live to get hers done just don't know when..keep forgetting to ask pediatrician... some people told me the pediatricians do it..have u heard of this?
  • We are going to get DD1's ears pierced soon. She asked to have them done for her 7th birthday. I asked my pedi for recommendations, and she said Claire's or any other piercing place is fine. She said she didn't know why anyone would go to their pedi to get ears pierced since they only do a handful a year.

ETA: My pedi recommended having them put dots on DD's ears so I could check and make sure they were even.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Loading the player...
  • I won't do it until she is old enough to ask for it. Right of passage n responsibility in taking care if them. My friends pedi offered to do her babies at 6 weeks, so I'm guessing around then? She didn't do it though!
    Me: 30 | DH:34
    Married: 08/04/12
    DD: 6 years | Born: 03/28/13
    DS: 1 Year I Born 10/15/17

• I'm waiting until my daughter is old enough to ask for them and take care of them herself.  Just my personal preference though.  I had to wait until I was 13 to get mine pierced and had to take care of them myself, though I wouldn't make my daughter wait that long!  I was a freshman in high school by that time and remember being so jealous of all the other girls with their cute earrings.

I'd recommend having her doctor do the ear piercing as opposed to a place like Claire's, but Claire's messed mine up and I had to let them close and then re-pierced them myself later.

• We just got our DDs ears pierced last weekend she was 10 weeks. Our pedi told they are clear to get it done at 2 months or whenever they receive their first tetanus shot. She did so well, cried more when she got her shots done. 
  • Our pediatrician's office does them. I am am going to wait until DD is old enough to care for them herself, but myneiggbor hahaher daughter's ears done there, probably aroind 6 months amd was pleased with the results. I might be wrong about this but I thought she said something about waiting until she had most of her vaccinations, vut I don't remember if that had anything to do with it or not.
  • All of the girls in my family got them done as babies because its easier to keep them clean when they aren't getting into things and they can pull on them yet. I think it is all a matter of opinion. We didn't take our DD to Claire's or any of those boutiques, we took her to a jewelry store bc our pedi doesn't do it at their office. 
  • DunkinDunkin member
    Our peri said to wait until 4 month shots with dd1. We were told to go to Claire's. They were great. Dd cried for a min. Never played with them.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's a personal choice of course, but getting a baby's ears pierced can run the risk of having them grow out unevenly; not just assymetrical but not ending up in the right spot on the earlobes.

My parents made us wait til we were old enough to ask for them and could take care of them ourselves, I always thought this made sense.

And just personally, I think babies are cute enough, no need for jewelry.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm going to wait until she can ask for them herself. I got my ears pierced at a few months old and absolutely hated wearing earrings as a kid. My Mom made me wear them so the holes wouldn't close up - she told me I'd want them when I was older. I ended up liking earrings, but not until I was a teenager. There was a lot of time in between of hating my pierced ears and I wish she'd given me the choice.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• imagemargot209:

It's a personal choice of course, but getting a baby's ears pierced can run the risk of having them grow out unevenly; not just assymetrical but not ending up in the right spot on the earlobes. 

Yep, my parents had mine done when I was a baby, and they're really uneven. We are going to wait until our DD is older and can decide for herself.

• Hey we got it done her pedi when we went for 4month vaccination. My logic to get it done so early was it was not so painful on soft baby skin and since she was so young she did nt notice d change neither showed any signs of discomfort.
    Hope it helps.
    SJ
  • imageshruts82:
    Hey we got it done her pedi when we went for 4month vaccination. My logic to get it done so early was it was not so painful on soft baby skin and since she was so young she did nt notice d change neither showed any signs of discomfort.
    Hope it helps.
    SJ

How do you know it wasn't painful? Did your baby tell you?
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageRachaelM24:
    We just got our DDs ears pierced last weekend she was 10 weeks. Our pedi told they are clear to get it done at 2 months or whenever they receive their first tetanus shot. She did so well, cried more when she got her shots done. 

This. I took DD to Claire's since her pedi doesn't do them.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• We're waiting until DD asks to have them done.  I was 10 when I first had mine done.  I agree with pp that it's a responsibility thing.

• imagebenjaminsmommy16:

To say it's not painful for a baby is really stupid.

Why do we need to alter the way our daughters look? Aren't they cute enough already? And what happened to letting them choose what their bodies look like?

That's quite a mouthful you said there! Why does everything need to be turned to a *** debate? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• 1st grade....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"