Working Moms

Feeling guilty about buying 3 new bathing suits...

I got them from athleta and i ordered three different styles hoping I would like one...surprisingly i really like all three and we all know how rare that is in bathing suit shopping! But,they were far from cheap and I already own two sort of ok ones from lands end that I bought three years ago...we go to the pool every weekend in summer (if it would ever get warm grrrr) and often on a weeknight or two as well as to our indoor pool w the kids in winter about 1-2 times a month or so, so i do wear suits more than just the occasional trip to the beach or pool (though an upcoming beach trip is what motivated the order)... 

How many suits do you own and how old are they? If you found three you actually liked, would you keep them even if they were pricey? I am thinking that this will be good for another several years but still... 

Re: Feeling guilty about buying 3 new bathing suits...

• kmplskmpls member

I have never shopped athlete so, are we talking $50 or 100 expensive?

For $50 range and under keep all 3 it is worth it. Otherwise it gets pretty expensive.

i have like 3 swimsuits but none fit great. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekmpls:

I have never shopped athlete so, are we talking $50 or 100 expensive?

For $50 range and under keep all 3 it is worth it. Otherwise it gets pretty expensive.

i have like 3 swimsuits but none fit great. 

yeah they are in the $100 range... Argh. It is so hard to find good fitting suits :( but I guess I could go back there and buy another next year if I just keep two and decide I would like another.. They're just not so "mom suit" ish and my other two totally are...lol

• Loading the player...
  • imagePrivacyWanted:
    Well I currently have 0 suits that fit. If I found 3 I liked I'd keep them all

I kind of feel this way!  If you can afford to keep them, go for it!  I'm a Walmart shopper, but I doubt my crummy suit from last year fits.  I'm too scared to dig it out just yet! (Have a 3 mo old...)  I feel this way about jeans too - if I found a pair that fit well I'd not worry about the cost!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Personally, I think a non-mom suit that fits you well and looks good is pretty much priceless, so unless it's going to break your budget, I'd keep them all!

I'm 2 weeks postpartum, but I normally have 4 swimsuits, but I really only like 2 of them. 

• I would keep the three you like and toss the so so ones. IMO, I would rather spend money on stuff I love rather than things I am not super jazzed about. You spend less on clothes in the long run.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagecaladpi02:
    I would keep the three you like and toss the so so ones. IMO, I would rather spend money on stuff I love rather than things I am not super jazzed about. You spend less on clothes in the long run.

Agree with this. If you go to the pool frequently and you know you're going to get many uses out of the three swimsuits, then it's definitely worth it. It's rare enough to find a well fitting swimsuit as it is, and even at places like target they can get somewhat pricey anyway,

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been eying the athleta catalogue I wish I had a store near to try them all on.
    I would keep 2 just in case quality disappoints you or you really want a different cut next year.
    I have 1 suit that was 100 and lasted 3 years already and 1 back up cheapie suit but would like 1 more nice one.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Keep them Think of it this way in the past you kept suits for several years so it really works out to 35 or so a year per suit if you use them more than two seasons I know I use my suits several seasons and the more expensive s ones hold up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagelitzo27:
    I've been eying the athleta catalogue I wish I had a store near to try them all on. I would keep 2 just in case quality disappoints you or you really want a different cut next year. I have 1 suit that was 100 and lasted 3 years already and 1 back up cheapie suit but would like 1 more nice one.

Thanks everyone for making me feel better!!!! 

To the pp, if you spend $50 (uh, that is just one of the pieces of a two piece so it isn't hard to do...eek) there is free shipping & free returns. Obviously I spent well over that so when one of the bottoms didn't fit, I called & asked if they could send the other size w/ free shipping even though it was $49 since I had already spent so much and that way I could send back everything I would be returning together & they sent it right to me. Also I noticed tags on them yesterday that said you could give them a test run & return anytime for any reason, which is awesome. 

• I have two suits and I really love them.  They were expensive when I bought them ($100+) but I have had them for over 3 years now and they are both still in good condition.  I don't anticipate needing to buy new suits anytime soon!  So, I think you should keep the three, especially when you will use them a lot!  Enjoy!
  • MKDeeMKDee member
    If you love them, keep them!   I found a suit I LOVED last year (which seriously NEVER happens to me).  This year, I saw a similar style in a different store and tried it on, thinking I would use it as a back-up.  It didn't look quite as nice, so I had no problem putting it back on the rack, because I knew I had the one I loved at home.  In prior years, I probably would have bought it, because it honestly didn't look bad, my standards are just higher now.  You may have bought three now, but if it keeps you from buying one for another year or two, then it all evens out financially in the long run.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would keep all three. I wouldn't be OK with spending 300 every year for three new suits, but if you like them and they will last several years it seems like a good purchase to me!
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • imagegroovygrl:

imagelitzo27:
    I've been eying the athleta catalogue I wish I had a store near to try them all on.
    I would keep 2 just in case quality disappoints you or you really want a different cut next year.
    I have 1 suit that was 100 and lasted 3 years already and 1 back up cheapie suit but would like 1 more nice one.

Thanks everyone for making me feel better!!!! 

To the pp, if you spend $50 (uh, that is just one of the pieces of a two piece so it isn't hard to do...eek) there is free shipping & free returns. Obviously I spent well over that so when one of the bottoms didn't fit, I called & asked if they could send the other size w/ free shipping even though it was $49 since I had already spent so much and that way I could send back everything I would be returning together & they sent it right to me. Also I noticed tags on them yesterday that said you could give them a test run & return anytime for any reason, which is awesome. 

Wow! I take that policy to mean that they stand behind their products. The last time I got a suit was over 10 years ago. So I wouldnt get 3 but I havent been in a pool for 7 years.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't see the point in buying three suits, especially if you already have a few that are fine to wear.

I have two pairs of bottoms and one tankini, and a one piece. The one piece is from Land's End Canvas, and was on super sale when I got it. The others are either Target or Old Navy. I feel like even that is excessive, but we do have a beach vacation once a year, and probably go swimming once a week during the summer months.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• OK, Athleta is AWESOME

A flattering swimsuit is PRICELESS

I have about 5 bikinis/tankinis/swim-skirt outfits that I'd literally wear in public.  I am in the pool frequently (at least 3 times per week) and these are suits I've acquired over the past few years.  Because I spent more in them they have worn well and thus have lasted a few seasons.

Should you keep all three?  Depends on how much you swim.  But I would keep 2, especially if you are going on a vacation where you'll be in the pool everyday, having two swimsuit to rotate is far preferable then putting on a wet swimsuit!

• Three suits you like???? Definitely keep them all!

I just ordered one from Lands end that came in yesterday bc I only had one that fit, and one is not enough for me since we are in the pool three to four times a week.

Plus, they will probably last you a couple of seasons if you take care of them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I found 3 non-mom bathings suits that I actually liked wearing I would keep them!! Three good bathing suits will last for a few years too! I have 5 bathing suits, but only 3 that I like to wear. I bought them a few months ago for a cruise with my DH. That's how I ended up KO! So they won't be fitting me much longer! lol 

• shannmshannm member

Echoing many others, if you like them, it is totally worth the investment.  In fact, this post inspired me to order a new suit for my post baby #2 body.  Those that make me feel okay are so hard to find I consider them priceless.  

I am a fan of Title Nine suits. 

• nmb02nmb02 member

ok, i have to ask which ones did you get? I am look at them now and i like a few of them. But i am short and chuncky with a  post c-section belly.

• imagenmb02:

ok, i have to ask which ones did you get? I am look at them now and i like a few of them. But i am short and chuncky with a  post c-section belly.

OK, I am also short (5'0) but I don't think I'd be described as chunky though definitely not skinny/fit/thin. Most of my weight/concern areas are in my butt/hips/upper thighs.

#1- Samana shorts with tankini top. The shorts are flattering I think, as they are not tight in the waist or leg but not baggy/bulky/long. At first I got the matching tankini but then it seemed like a lot of fabric/coverage so I returned for the bikini top. This is my husband's favorite, he likes the sporty shorts suit look.

#2- dragonfly racer tankini w/ the dolphin short. I was really excited about this one and thought I'd like it the best b/c the shorts looked so interesting online. I do like it but found I liked #3 the best. The shorts give nice fuller coverage in the butt but aren't tight in the waistband (e.g. no muffin top) but I will say they ride up a bit b/w the thighs that is not shown in the picture. But i love anything w/ no wedgie factor b/c I get them in a lot of suits esp when playing w/ kids, my butt must be a funny size/shape.

#3 Namaste tankini and scrunch skirt. To me you get the benefit of a skirt suit but not so mom suit ish. (maybe depending on body type)--- it is really comfortable but I think creates a really cute silhouette b/c it is not flared, but fitted. I really like skirt suits b/c I am self conscious about my hips/butt/thighs so I really like this one. Will say the top on that one fits much tighter than the other 2 I got so if you have a bigger chest, you may need a bigger size than indicated by the measurements.

• LoCarbLoCarb member

I spent $500 on 3 new bathing suits. I was feeling guilty too but rationalized the purchase with I only buy new suits every few years, good quality and it's rare for me to even find one that is a good fit/style for my body. Having three = score!

Does that make you feel better?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd return 2.  But I always only have 1 suit. 
    PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageLoCarb:

I spent $500 on 3 new bathing suits. I was feeling guilty too but rationalized the purchase with I only buy new suits every few years, good quality and it's rare for me to even find one that is a good fit/style for my body. Having three = score!

Does that make you feel better?

yes! ;)

• Keep em all.  No need to feel guilty!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"