July 2013 Moms

Things I didn't expect about pregnancy

I've had an easy time with dealing with all the pregnancy discomforts I expected such as; nausea, swollen feet, stretch marks, fatigue, mood swings, weight gain ect. 

But what's been really hard for me is everything I didn't expect

Such as:

Tonsil stones- If you don't know what it is don't look it up, it is by far the grossest thing that has ever happend to me and I will be getting my tonsils out as soon as possible after this baby comes. I will never have another pregnancy with my tonsils. Nope.

Just feeling out of it/feeling like I always have a bad hangover

Hot flashes

Wonky vision

I'm curious to know what everyone else is experiencing for their unexpected pregnancy discomforts.

Re: Things I didn't expect about pregnancy

• Yuck!  That does sound gross. 

I have had an ok time with most things except for being so uncomfortable and probably the back aches.  I just can barely get through the day bc my back hurts so bad.  It's more my upper back now- I see a chiro once a month but may have to see him twice before delivery.  My chair at work probably isn't helping either-oh i'm ready for this baby girl to come out of me.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• You might want to reconsider that. I had mine taken out when I was 26 and it was the most painful thing I've ever been through. I'm actually wondering how labor compares. I didn't leave my house for a month. Couldn't eat, drink, sleep and all I did was throw up. I lost 12lbs. Awful.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh, tonsil stones are the WORST! I got them pre pregnancy, DH gets them too. They're not fun to cough up, but they give you the most awful breath so I try to get rid of them as soon as they form. If my insurance was halfway decent I'd be begging to get my tonsils removed too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAsbromle:
    You might want to reconsider that. I had mine taken out when I was 26 and it was the most painful thing I've ever been through. I'm actually wondering how labor compares. I didn't leave my house for a month. Couldn't eat, drink, sleep and all I did was throw up. I lost 12lbs. Awful.

That does sound awful, I'm not looking forward to recovery. 

But one month of suffering will be worth not ever worrying about it again. For the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy the thought of them would make me gag and I was miserable. I would go to sleep fantasizing about taking them out myself after spending a good chunk of my day brushing my teeth and being obsessed with oral hygiene. It was no way to live. They're coming back, and once again it's ruining my life.

• You are so right, it is easy to deal with the expected symptoms because you knew what you were getting into from the get go - but there is oh so much no one mentions!

Feeling like you have an endless hangover is a good way to put the over-all sluggish grossness. I tell DH (he has a physically demanding job) that how he feels at the end of the day working, is how I wake up every morning!

I also didn't expect all the distracting awkward pains/: Like when you're walking along and your LO kicks the shiit out of your vag and you just double over. How do you explain that to people? Sorry I just suffered a crotch shot that felt like someone hit me with a baseball bat! All I can figure is no one tells you about these things because they are weird and not something you want to broadcast to not pregnant people! Thank goodness for TB though because you know you're not the only one with these experiences because people aren't afraid to talk about it here(:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hernia. Definitely hernia.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • imageJasmineeelizabeth:

I've had an easy time with dealing with all the pregnancy discomforts I expected such as; nausea, swollen feet, stretch marks, fatigue, mood swings, weight gain ect.

I'm curious to know what everyone else is experiencing for their unexpected pregnancy discomforts.  

I didn't expect to have a bloody nose with almost every nose blow, increases snoring (H wears earplugs. It's that bad, even with my torso elevated, and wearing breathe right nose strips), lightening crotch, pelvic pain, hip pain and not being able to move around. :( oh, bleeding gums and dandruff. 

• I knew I would get tired, but I didn't expect to sometimes get out of breath and tired just standing still, or by having a conversation.

I also didn't expect people to treat me like I'm about to break. Not wanting me to walk 10 feet from a parking space to a store, or carry one light bag. It's thoughtful but silly too.  

Jasper 

• Sorry to hear!

I wasn't expecting a vericose vein down there! and migraines with aura... Who knew these things even existed! :
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

*On 4.28.11 we said goodbye to our angel baby (D&E at 18.5 weeks)*
  • imageSarahDF84:

I knew I would get tired, but I didn't expect to sometimes get out of breath and tired just standing still, or by having a conversation.

I also didn't expect people to treat me like I'm about to break. Not wanting me to walk 10 feet from a parking space to a store, or carry one light bag. It's thoughtful but silly too.  

I find the opposite actually, people don't seem to understand that I'm not as physically able any more and walk really fast to the point where I can't catch up, or expect me to be able to do things that I can't. 

• imageLivvyKH:

imageAsbromle:
    You might want to reconsider that. I had mine taken out when I was 26 and it was the most painful thing I've ever been through. I'm actually wondering how labor compares. I didn't leave my house for a month. Couldn't eat, drink, sleep and all I did was throw up. I lost 12lbs. Awful.

Exact same experience but I was 19. I have friends who were fine after like two days! Ugh. I had the same issue when I got my wisdom teeth out. Sick for three weeks, lost 10 lbs (already underweight), lots of barf.

Woah, really?
    I was one of those fine in two days people. After both tonsils and wisdom teeth. :( I'm sorry it was so awful for you both.

I think being so slow is what I didn't realize would happen. Everything takes so much longer. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • hot flashes and feeling dizzy and lightheaded. and the horrible hangover feeling.
  • I forgot to mention post-nasal drip. ugk!
  • imageLivvyKH:

imageAsbromle:

Exact same experience but I was 19. I have friends who were fine after like two days! Ugh. I had the same issue when I got my wisdom teeth out. Sick for three weeks, lost 10 lbs (already underweight), lots of barf.

Anyway - not being able to see is my most surprising pregnancy issue. It had better not be permanent! I can't see much in the distance and it's annoying. I also have a weird leaf aversion (I mean lettuce, spinach etc). I love salad and I'm a vegetarian, so it kind of sucks. 

I had an awful time with my wisdom teeth too! Not nearly as bad as the tonsils though. I left for Jamaica right after I recovered from my tonsils and I didn't even need to go to the gym beforehand b/c of all the weight I lost, lol.  Best diet ever, only good thing that came out of that experience!

• imagejackson290721:
    imageLivvyKH:

imageAsbromle:

Woah, really?
    I was one of those fine in two days people. After both tonsils and wisdom teeth. :( I'm sorry it was so awful for you both.

I think being so slow is what I didn't realize would happen. Everything takes so much longer. 

I'm jealous...that's so unfair:) Glad you didn't have as tough of a time with it!

• Discharge...all the time, from everywhere. Pregnancy acne, dry hair and skin.Arthritis, heart burn, constipation, yeah that hung over feeling, hot flashes, feeling claustrophobic in my own body. Pain everywhere all the time, being uncomfortable, just how long 40 weeks is, how much I enjoyed wine and my freedom. Car sickness....still waiting on the wonderful ness people always speak about. Miss being pregnant, yeah just like I miss being robbed and beat up.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wonky vision here too! Weird!
  • Everything leaks.  Awful vision, skin allergies and rashes, constant pain in the crotch.  I also didn't expect the acid reflux to be as bad as it is - pregnancy is pretty gross.
  • Forgot the skin tags... those are just weird. I hope they go away.
  • That hangover thing for sure. I feel like its really not fair to have to feel hungover when you can't even have a drink.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • ECATXECATX member

Skin tags - really hoping they go away after the baby is born! 

Waking up with numb hands every night

Sore/achy hands and feet. I don't have much swelling, but both are really sore! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"