Working Moms

Most of the moms you know?

Are most of your friends WMs or SAHMs?

A lot of the moms I'm friends with are SAHMs. Two of my friends are teachers, one SIL works for the government, the other works for a bank, and then the rest of the WMs I know are my coworkers, and my company only has 15 employees, so that's not a lot of WMs overall.

So I'm curious. Do a lot of your friends work or stay home?
Lilypie - (KNqh)

Re: Most of the moms you know?

• Most of my friends are WMs.  I actually only know a few SAHMs, and my only good friend who SAH has since gone back to work now that her kids are in school. 

I work in healthcare and there are lots of career women in the various fields I come in contact with. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ss+elss+el member
    Most of my long-term friends are working moms. The people I see the most, though, since I have most mornings free every week, are almost all SAHMs that we do playdates with.
  • Loading the player...
  • SAHM, but that's to be expected since I've only recently become a WM a SAHM.
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • SAHM, but that's to be expected since I've only recently become a WM from a SAHM.
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • ccamccam member
    I don't think I actually know one SAHM.  A few of my friends work part time, but no one I can think of stays home full time.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• LoCarbLoCarb member
    WM's...most of the moms I know and spend time with I have met through the kids DC.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Most of my friends and the moms in our social circle are SAHMs. There's a small number of working moms we know.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    partial molar pregnancy : bfp 6.28.10, d/c 8.17.10, 7 rounds methotrexate, cleared 7.1.11
    alexander patrick : bfp 1.16.12, born 9.20.12 @ 39w1d, 7 lbs./11 oz./22 in.
    scarlett irene elizabeth : bfp 5.24.13, born 2.3.14 @ 41w2d, 7 lbs./13 oz./19 in.
  • I too actually don't think I know any SAHMs!  But I do know a fair amount of teachers who will have the summer to be home.  I'm jealous.... :) 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• shannmshannm member
    Considering I met most of my friends at work and daycare, most are working moms. I have recently started some friendships with SAHMS that I met at DSs school.
  • Most of my friends are WMs.  I can only think of one friend who's a SAHM, and she says she would rather work if the drama in her life would stop conspiring against her.
    imageimageimage
  • Most of my friends WOH
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Most of my mom friends outside of work are SAHMs.  In fact, I'm really the only one of my friends with a career.  A few have side jobs - selling Tupperware, waitressing, etsy - and a couple are professionals that work very part time (ex. a nurse friend works 1 day a month just to keep her foot in the door at the hospital) but none of my mom friends work full time.  My non-mom friends work crazy hours. 

I'm glad I have some good mom friends at work that can relate...

• It's about half and half.

My SAHM friends are awesome though. We are all supportive of each others decisions and life styles.

My family on the other hand is also split. My cousin who stays at home spews all the time how she doesn't want anyone else raising her kids so she stays at home. Insert eye roll here. She lives in her moms basement, so umm, yeah......how can I even take her seriously? Lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jlaOKjlaOK member
    Out of my really close girl friends we are pretty mixed.  A couple stay at home, a couple work PT, and a couple work FT.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• I work with a lot of working moms, but mainly moms to older kids, like high-school and college age.  Of the moms with kids the same age as my own, I'd say it's split pretty evenly between stay-at-home and working.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• 50/50 here. Most of my college friends work, most of my family works, but a fair number of the women in my neighborhood stay at home. A lot of them are starting to think about going back to work though, at least part time, as their kids get to preschool age. 
    Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • Most of my friends are working moms, but most of them have alternative schedules or have offset their schedule with their husband's so I actually have a lot of friends with their babies not in daycare or in it for just half a day at a time. So most families I know are kinda in between: I only know two other families like ours - both working parents with standard M-F 8:30-5 schedules and I only know two full-time SAHMs.

All the women in my family work - going back at least 5 generations. So I've never seen what a stay-at-home mom's life would look like up close. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • salt78salt78 member
    Most stay home. I wish I had more working mom friends.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Pips09Pips09 member
    My friends are all WMs. The only SAHM I know is my SIL.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• I don't know one person from college, grad school or even high school that is a SAHM. However, the moms I know in our neighborhood that actually have kids that are my DS's age are almost all SAHMs.

\image  image

• Most SAH.  However, most of my friends that are parents grew up with me in the church, and it's unusual (at least at our church) for the mom to work. 

I no longer live near most of these friends, but even in my current location, I'm the only working mom at my church.

It makes it more difficult, because I'd really like to SAH.

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • KL777KL777 member
    I have a mixture, probably half and half. Most of them come from my moms' group when I SAH and from my church.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• aeh72aeh72 member
    All of my mom friends work, with the exception of one. 
  • Most of my original friends in this area are FT working moms. I'm switching to SAH this winter (and/or looking for something PT!) and I feel like an anomaly. Then again, most of them have just one child so far despite the fact that we are in our late 30s. 

Most of the moms I know via preschool and some that I know through work, most of whom have more than one child, are PT instead of FT. 

I know some SAH also. In DD's preschool class of 14 kids, I know of 2 other moms who both also just decided to SAH for awhile, so that's interesting. I think many of us are at the stage of having 2+ LOs close in age. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • All of my close friends are WMs.  There are a lot of SAHMs in our neighborhood, though.
  • Almost all of my friends work.  They may work part-time or be teachers who are off in the summer, but I know very few who are 100 percent SAH.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • I know tons of working moms.  What's weird to me is that my sister and both my SILs SAHM, so I am the only working mom in my family.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • kmplskmpls member
    Most work.
  • Almost all of my friends are WMs (most of my friends I met through work though), I have one friend that has her own daycare so she works from home. My whole family and DHs works also. My sister stayed at home until my nieces were full time school, but that was years ago. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Almost entirely working, and these are mostly women I knew before any of us had children. Just worked out that way. The big exception is in DH's family.
  • Most of my friends and family members are working moms.  Actually, the majority of my friends and family members with young kids are teachers like I am.  The only SAHM are my cousin and my SIL.  
  • I had to sit and think about this, but I'd say it's about 75-25 WM. Definitely a majority work, but I do have some SAHM friends.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"