February 2013 Moms

What is going on??

DS is turning 4 months next week. Starting a few days ago, he started getting pretty fussy and waking up crying almost every hour. Sometimes he would just talk to himself for literally an hour from 3 am to 4 am, and then start crying when I pick him up to rock him. He's no longer content with the way I rock him either, and will throw a fit if I sit in the glider. So every 5 to 10 min, I have to get up and walk around.

He's been chewing on his fingers all day and will barely nurse. I had to start pumping because he wouldn't take my breast. When I try to feed him the bottle, he barely took 3 ounces for one feeding and 1 ounce about 4 hours later. He's also been so tired today and has basically napped all day wth barely any smiles. Is this the 4 month awake period or is he teething? Is it normal for LOs to nap all day and refuse to nurse? He's had consistent wet diapers all day so he doesn't seem dehydrated...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this post doesn't make sense...I haven't slept in days and am exhausted from rocking my LO all day and night. ::mobile sad face::

Re: What is going on??

• He is teething. Babies start to teethe around 3 1/2 month but they may not cut them until up to 6 months. Give him a cold rag around your finger to chew on. Or a cold teething ring.
  • Thanks! How long does this crankiness and tiredness last for? Will I ever get to sleep again?
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine is the same and I'm also blaming it on teething. I gave up and gave tylanol today, which seemed to help some.  I don't remember the duration - must have blocked it out of my memory of DS1!! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Pitterpatter129, I ended up giving my LO Tylenol today too. I'm really hoping this works for both of us and that our LOs sleep well tonight. I'd love to have my cheerful, happy baby back!
  • I'm always hesitant to say a baby is teething because really, you never know. DD1 didn't cut her first tooth until she was 9 months old.

Whether it's the 4 month wakeful (which is what I would suspect first) or teething, there's not much you can do but wait it out. Teething sleep problems can last anywhere from a day to several weeks, and the 4 month wakeful can also last up to several weeks (you can read about several experiences in a post from a few days ago- I think they sound pretty similar to what you're going through).

Either way, good luck. It's a rough time, but what helps me is picturing myself in August and then telling myself - by then it will be better!

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Did you make sure he doesn't have a fever? It's probably the four month wakeful or teething, but I would also rule out sickness just to be safe.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! He does feel warmer to the touch than normal, but no fever. I read an article on thebump that said the 4 month wakeful was a good time to sleep train. But I agree with PP that it's so hard knowing whether he's teething or just wakeful. Guess I'll just ride out this bumpy patch. This, too, shall pass.....I hope. ::mobile smiley::
  • I have not posted in forever but today jumped on the bump.com.  I recently went through this with my little man (last week).  I for sure thought he was teething and it ended up he had a sore throat!  I would have never even thought to check for a sore throat but when I called the pediatrician to tell him Niam was not nursing he said he wanted to see us that day.  When we went in he let us know he had a sore throat (no runny nose or cold like symptoms).  Apparently the sucking hurts so they stop eating or do not eat as much.  It may be teeth or it may be something else.  I ended up doing tylenol for a few days which helped with the inflammation. 

Good luck!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married: 05/14/2011

DS Was Born: 02/10/2013

EDD: 10/19/2015

• imageljburrelli:
    I have not posted in forever but today jumped on the bump.com.nbsp; I recently went through this with my little man last week.nbsp; I for sure thought he was teething and it ended up he had a sore throat!nbsp; I would have never even thought to check for a sore throat but when I called the pediatrician to tell him Niam was not nursing he said he wanted to see us that day.nbsp; When we went in he let us know he had a sore throat no runny nose or cold like symptoms.nbsp; Apparently the sucking hurts so they stop eating or do not eat as much.nbsp; It may be teeth or it may be something else.nbsp; I ended up doing tylenol for a few days which helped with the inflammation.nbsp; nbsp;Good luck!!!

Oh wow, how did they know it was a sore throat? That's really good to know...I hadn't even considered that! It's so hard knowing whether LO is actually sick or just going through a developmental phase...
  • imageMommyAndHerLatte:
    imageljburrelli:
    I have not posted in forever but today jumped on the bump.com.nbsp; I recently went through this with my little man last week.nbsp; I for sure thought he was teething and it ended up he had a sore throat!nbsp; I would have never even thought to check for a sore throat but when I called the pediatrician to tell him Niam was not nursing he said he wanted to see us that day.nbsp; When we went in he let us know he had a sore throat no runny nose or cold like symptoms.nbsp; Apparently the sucking hurts so they stop eating or do not eat as much.nbsp; It may be teeth or it may be something else.nbsp; I ended up doing tylenol for a few days which helped with the inflammation.nbsp; nbsp;Good luck!!!
    Oh wow, how did they know it was a sore throat? That's really good to know...I hadn't even considered that! It's so hard knowing whether LO is actually sick or just going through a developmental phase...

His pediatrician is the one who told me.  I had no clue to even look for a sore throat.  Everyone I talked to said he was teething.  He was drooling like crazy and so cranky.  He was nursing at first a lot which I was told was because he just wanted to soothe his throat and the BM helped with that but was only eating enough to do that and not enough to fill himself up.  His daycare called me on Monday to say he was absolutely refusing the bottle and that concerned me so I called the nurse.  She stated his pediatrician wanted to see him that day.  I guess some type of virus has been going around bc my coworkers granddaughter had it as well a few weeks ago.  My pediatrician stated most babies will still nurse if teething (there are some that don't) but typically they still eat so that was a red flag for him that something else may be wrong.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married: 05/14/2011

DS Was Born: 02/10/2013

EDD: 10/19/2015

• imageljburrelli:

imageMommyAndHerLatte:
    imageljburrelli:

His pediatrician is the one who told me.  I had no clue to even look for a sore throat.  Everyone I talked to said he was teething.  He was drooling like crazy and so cranky.  He was nursing at first a lot which I was told was because he just wanted to soothe his throat and the BM helped with that but was only eating enough to do that and not enough to fill himself up.  His daycare called me on Monday to say he was absolutely refusing the bottle and that concerned me so I called the nurse.  She stated his pediatrician wanted to see him that day.  I guess some type of virus has been going around bc my coworkers granddaughter had it as well a few weeks ago.  My pediatrician stated most babies will still nurse if teething (there are some that don't) but typically they still eat so that was a red flag for him that something else may be wrong.

Good thing your pediatrician saw the red flag! We have a ped appt in a few days so hopefully we get some answers. Thanks for sharing your experience!
  • imageljburrelli:

imageMommyAndHerLatte:
    imageljburrelli:

Good thing your pediatrician saw the red flag! We have a ped appt in a few days so hopefully we get some answers. Thanks for sharing your experience!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"