June 2013 Moms

how goes your recovery/adjusting?

Hello Mamas!

Just wondering how everyone is doing with their recovery and how they are adjusting to life with LO?

My own recovery has been pretty easy. I only had a 1st degree tear and 3 stitches that have all dissolved and healed up nicely and The bleeding is minimal to the point that I'm down to liners so yay! for that! Not impressed with the sinus infection I got the day LO was born but we are coping.

As for adjusting to having 2 kiddos I can honestly say I'm having a rough time but its starting to even out. They like to play musical wake ups all night so I have been running on an average of 2 hours a night and since DD1 doesn't nap I don't get to play catch up when DD2 goes down during the day. H isn't much help in that regard since he works nights and has to sleep during the day but he always makes sure he's up in time to put the older girlie to bed and read her stories. I'm frustrated that I can't keep her entertained as much and it breaks my heart when I am nursing and she comes over and puts her head in my lap and asks me to play with her. She is such a good big sister tho and has been my big helper with getting diapers and giving the baby special sister only kisses lol.

DD2 is still just shy of her birth weight and the Dr wanted me to supplement with formula but DD HATES it and it gives her horrible gas. I've been nursing pretty much every hour and a half since our last appointment and living off milk tea and oatmeal to see if that helps. My supply was maybe a bit lower than I thought but its picked up already! If we too far past a feed it hurts!! Thank goodness for my pump!!

How is everyone else? Any tips or tricks that you are finding to make things easier? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: how goes your recovery/adjusting?

• We're only about 60 hours in and it's rough. The first 24 hours were so easy and now I have no idea what is going on.

As I mentioned previously, I had an enormous panic attack yesterday and have had a couple small ones today so that'll prob need to be addressed.

B isn't happy about having N around and ignores me when I'm there and cries hysterically when I'm not.

I only had three stitches for my second degree tear and am also down the pantiliners already.

N nurses pretty much nonstop so I'm hoping my milk comes in sooner than later and maybe he'll spend less time on the boob.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageemolm:
    We're only about 60 hours in and it's rough. The first 24 hours were so easy and now I have no idea what is going on. As I mentioned previously, I had an enormous panic attack yesterday and have had a couple small ones today so that'll prob need to be addressed. B isn't happy about having N around and ignores me when I'm there and cries hysterically when I'm not. I only had three stitches for my second degree tear and am also down the pantiliners already. N nurses pretty much nonstop so I'm hoping my milk comes in sooner than later and maybe he'll spend less time on the boob.

Hugs!! I found the first 2 days home to be the worst ( I had to give my mom an "I can't do this" call) but it kinda evened out . FX that it gets easier for you and that you older guy comes around!

• Loading the player...
  • I had an incredibly easy recovery, much easier than my first, where I had 2 sets of stitches. I've also managed to avoid the blues so far, at day 9, so I think I'm set. I have had the typical after pains, nipple soreness and engorgement. Peter has been nursing about 10 hours a day! One thing I thought was linked to my anxiety last go around is a constant stomach ache with gas pains. I looked it up and it's also normal.

Life is definitely busier with a newborn and a 4 yo. Freaking out with DH returning to work tomorrow but we will manage! My big kid will also finish out his last week of preK so that's a help.
  • I am so glad to read this.  I haven't been spending much time on the bump lately, but now I might pick it back up to hear that there are others out there having the same issues.

I cry at the drop of a hat.   I don't think its depression, but definitely some baby blues.

I feel like we are breastfeeding constantly and she is constantly hungry. I have given in a couple of times and given her formula just so she will sleep a little longer.  I am a little concerned that she is not getting enough.  She hasn't had a BM in over 24 hours (anyone know if this is normal?)

Sleeping is definitely an issue form me!  The nights are rough and I can't wait to get some normalcy.  (I am staying in the living room with her right now so my husband can get some sleep at night as he is already back at work, I miss sharing a bed with him)

Physically I am great.  I discharged just 24 hours after she was born with no pain meds.  I can't honestly believe how easy the physical recovery has been.

(she was born 6/5 and we've been home since 6/6)

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageLunarMagick79:

I am so glad to read this.  I haven't been spending much time on the bump lately, but now I might pick it back up to hear that there are others out there having the same issues.

I cry at the drop of a hat.   I don't think its depression, but definitely some baby blues.

I feel like we are breastfeeding constantly and she is constantly hungry. I have given in a couple of times and given her formula just so she will sleep a little longer.  I am a little concerned that she is not getting enough.  She hasn't had a BM in over 24 hours (anyone know if this is normal?)

Sleeping is definitely an issue form me!  The nights are rough and I can't wait to get some normalcy.  (I am staying in the living room with her right now so my husband can get some sleep at night as he is already back at work, I miss sharing a bed with him)

Physically I am great.  I discharged just 24 hours after she was born with no pain meds.  I can't honestly believe how easy the physical recovery has been.

(she was born 6/5 and we've been home since 6/6)

we pretty much nurse all day right now and as for poop, DD1 was a constant worry because she barely ever pooped and DD2 poops too much! I spent the first 2 years of DD1's life in our living room with the pnp. i don't think i ever would have slept otherwise. ((Hugs))

• Recovery is going really well- SO much better than my first birth. I had a tiny tear with no stitches and although I'm still sore/sting-y down there, it's not bad at all. Cramping while bf-ing was pretty intense but it's gone now thank goodness. My boobs are sore, but that's my biggest complaint about postpartum.

Emotionally I'm doing well. Not too tired which helps my mood. DS is being really good with the baby except occasionally he wants to be like RIGHT there in her face, touching her and I have to remind him to be gentle. He's slept through every night even with her screaming in the next room so that's good. I was worried his schedule would really be messed up having a newborn in the house.

So far, so good.

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Recovery is going fine. I had two separate first degree tears so only a few stitches but the tears were up both sides of my urethra so it burns like a MFer every time I pee...even with the peri bottle. I'm a little sore but I figure that's part of it. 

As far as adjusting, it hasn't been a awful but it isn't easy. A wants to nurse constantly which is super painful. The day we came home she started cluster feeding so there were lots of tears at night from pure exhaustion.  She still wants to nurse constantly, but since my milk came in she's on for longer and sleeping more at night. I'm attempting to get on some sort "schedule" but I'm quickly learning tht just isn't how it goes with newborns.

BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • My recovery has been ups and downs. I felt terrible the first week, then good for a couple days, then sore again. I had about 5 stiches and that's going okay. For me the breast pain of being engorged and the hormones are the worst part. I'm BFing exclusively and sometimes it's only an hour between feeds during the day. My boobs are so sore! I cry a lot but it's happy tears too. I think that has been the most surprising part for me. I expected to be sore down in the lady parts but didn't realize the emotions, hot flashes, and boob issues! Baby is back up to birth weight, doing amazing, so it's all worth it. BFing gets better every day!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have been having an awful recovery. After my c section I developed a blocked bowel. It was awful and took 5 days of agony before it resolved. I was on a clear liquid diet for a few days. After that I was (and still am) very restricted with my diet. I can't eat anywhere near the number of calories I need to nurse two baby girls. My body is exhausted. I am on the nurse/pump/supplement plan since the girls had some weight gain issues. My supply is finally where it needs to be. K & A are doing a lot better though and we hope to cut some of my pumping and supplementing when we see the pediatrician again this week. We are still trying to figure out how to care for two newborns and Our two year old DS. He seems to be adjusting well for the most part though so that's good. Luckily dh has four weeks of paternity leave so we are figuring it out together.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Re: normal BF poop- my pediatrician stressed that there is a wide range of normal for breastfed baby poop. Some go once every few days, others go after every feeding. As long as the baby seems well and is making wet diapers, don't worry. 

I'm so crafty, I make people.
  • imagesctiger52408:

The only stumbling block is BF.  My right nipple is so sore and cracked that I am in tears pretty often.  There is a BF group that meets at our pedis office once a month where you can get individual help with a LC.  That's on Thursday so I'm just trying to bear it until then when we can get some help.  BF is super important to me so it's really getting me down that I'm not enjoying it because of the pain, but I'm very optimistic that it will get better. 

ask your ob for a script of all purpose nipple ointment. Mine hadn't heard of it, but I knew of it from several nursing friends. You have to get it filled from a compound pharmacy and it can be a little pricey, but it is a miracle and helped to heal almost overnight! 

He's my fairytale, a dream when I'm not sleeping.

<a href="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/behapybride/?action=view
  • DS is one month today and had a pretty good night last night. He did sleep for one good, long three hour stretch, but mostly is up every two hours. The key seems to be making sure he nurses long enough to stay full. I don't sleep during the day when he does as much as I should. The house is pretty messy too, lol. I blame my laziness on the c section recovery over the last few weeks, but I am feeling much much better, and think I should be back to my old self within the week.

Not thrilled with the extra 15 lbs I still need to lose, but I know that's normal. I just wish it would disappear while I lounge on the couch! :P 

He's my fairytale, a dream when I'm not sleeping.

<a href="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/behapybride/?action=view
  • Andrew will be a month old on Thursday!  Crazy.

I am recovering from the C-Section really well.  Mostly feel back to normal physically, although my belly is still somewhat sensitive, and all I've been doing is taking nightly walks.

Sleep is difficult and we are still struggling with breastfeeding.  Andrew needs a supplement in the breastmilk, and so has been mostly bottlefed. I feel like this is a real challenge to get past.  We have been working with a LC at my pediatrician's office but really haven't had much success so far.  At least my pumping is going pretty well with regards to supply, although I am really tired of all the pumping already.  It's difficult during the day with DH at work, to manage to get the feeding every 3 hours and pumping every 3 hours in, along with trying breastfeeding 2x a day (and then feeding/pumping).  Andrew is up about every 2.5 hours to eat (sometimes earlier), so some days I feel just like a zombie. 

~~~TTC #1 since Dec 2011, BFP 5/3 CP 5/6~~~
    ~~~BFP 10/9/12, EDD 6/17/13~~~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nix55Nix55 member
    She hasn't had a BM in over 24 hours anyone know if this is normal?Sleeping is definitely an issue form me!nbsp; The nights are rough and I can't wait to get some normalcy.nbsp; I am staying in the living room with her right now so my husband can get some sleep at night as he is already back at work, I miss sharing a bed with himPhysically I am great.nbsp; I discharged just 24 hours after she was born with no pain meds.nbsp; I can't honestly believe how easy the physical recovery has been.she was born 6/5 and we've been home since 6/6nbsp;

Has your milk come in? if you're not sure, call the doc and take LO in for a weight check. I was having the sane problem with nursing and LO had plenty of wet and no BM. It turned out that I wasn't producing enough to sustain her, and she dropped 9 oz. although if you're giving LO some formula, that should result in a BM. It wouldn't hurt to call the doc. That's why they are there. GL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"